Static

barnyard

KTM rider
I have noticed that using the key fobs, I get jolted by static every time I go to open the bulkhead door. In the 'real key' days, I used to discharge with static by touching the key to anything metal to discharge the static before I touched anything. I have noticed that some of my warmer shirts and longjohns react with my browns to create multi million volt static zaps.

Is there a better way to deal with the static than constant shocks????

I was going to try spraying my clothes with Static Guard, but I am guessing that that would be a very short term solution.

I have noticed that using the key fobs, I get jolted by static every time I go to open the bulkhead door. In the 'real key' days, I used to discharge with static by touching the key to anything metal to discharge the static before I touched anything. I have noticed that some of my warmer shirts and longjohns react with my browns to create multi million volt static zaps.

I was going to try spraying my clothes with Static Guard, but I am guessing that that would be a very short term solution.
you can get that spray for static cling.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Grounding strap hanging from your a**?:happy-very:

Actually, I always have gotten the shock once the weather cools down and the air gets drier. It gets old real quick.

barnyard

KTM rider
Grounding strap hanging from your a**?:happy-very:

Actually, I always have gotten the shock once the weather cools down and the air gets drier. It gets old real quick.

When we used a key to open the bulkhead door, it seemed like that first zap could be discharged by touching the key to the bulkhead. Using the fob, it seems like the only thing that gets zapped is my finger. It is getting very old.

DorkHead

You are getting the static shock from the seat. Happens to me in the summer all the time but not in the winter. I don`t know if it is the shoes that I wear in summer or the boots I wear in the winter. What I do is soon as the truck is turned off and I get up I touch(HIT) the bulkhead door with the back of my hand behind my knuckles. This discharges the static electricity and you don`t feel it at all. You hear it though and this works with gloves on also.

Buck Fifty

You are getting the static shock from the seat. Happens to me in the summer all the time but not in the winter. I don`t know if it is the shoes that I wear in summer or the boots I wear in the winter. What I do is soon as the truck is turned off and I get up I touch(HIT) the bulkhead door with the back of my hand behind my knuckles. This discharges the static electricity and you don`t feel it at all. You hear it though and this works with gloves on also.

My mechanic swears its the shoes I wear. I'm not sold, cause in 20 yrs its always happened.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Cheap polyester uniform pants rubbing across nylon set covers. If you could bottle it, you could probably run your house.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Do you (or your wife) use fabric softener in the wash? Try taking a spray bottle and mix it half and half with water and spray a light coat on your seat. It will take the smell out of the seat and help keep some of the static build up down. You can spray your pants as well.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have two carts on our mall route. One of the carts shocks you all day long no matter the driver. It's annoying as hell.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have the same problem on cold winter days with low humidity. An easy solution is to rub one of those dryer sheets on the seat and then stick it in your back pocket, they are meant to prevent static cling in the laundry and they will do the same thing for your butt and the seat of the package car.

Namraputs

This happened to me the other day. I was going back and forth to the gas station, and got shocked every time I got up from the seat. Thought I was just going crazy.

S

serenity now

so you're still having to touch the door after unlocking with the fob (or dash switch)? after much fine tuning and attention to detail i finally have my door fixed so if i am anywhere near level it will unlock, release, roll open, and actually latch past the ramp in the fully open position. (grin) even if the right side of truck is on the downhill it will still open enough to sidearm the door the remainder of the way. this is an old 800 with almost 800k miles. does that make it an 800/800? anyhoo, i just unbuckle, stand up, and walk to the back. pretty sweet when you can get it to that point.

kingOFchester

It is not static. UPS had a battery rigged to the door to shock drivers. They are testing to see if the electric shock will wake up and speed up drivers. Word is it will decrease on road time by 1.3785 seconds per driver ( a tad over one second). They will in turn take 20 clicks away from our time allowance.

Ms.PacMan

I do the same thing - tap the back of my hand on the bulkhead first.

We have two carts on our mall route. One of the carts shocks you all day long no matter the driver. It's annoying as hell.
I wrap the top of my carts with cloth hockey stick tape so my hands stay warm but it would probably work for the static.

barnyard

KTM rider
No fabric softener at casa barnyard so another day of annoying shocks.

We do have dryer sheets though. I will try putting one in my back pocket tomorrow.

I should wrap the handle of the cart with hockey tape, I like that idea. A little grippier on areas other than the handle.