status

IzzyTheNose

We're in the process of voting on ours (local 396), and I have a strong feeling it's going to get voted down a second time. There are a lot of full-timers angry about the contract, and they're aloso ready to vote out the current slate in next year's election.

over9five

Staff member
Many park in remote lots, pass through security and then take a shuttle to the worldport building. It seems reasonable that their start time is actually when they board their shuttle bus.

​Why? Did they not know about the shuttle bus trip when they started? Did someone try to deceive them when they were hired?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Oh, I realize it's an issue......

​.....of union people with a false sense of entitlement.

They are "entitled" to negotiate a contract that adequately compensates them for their efforts.
I think it is great that a group of part timers finally stood up and demanded their fair share.
Worldport in Louisville has a part time dynamic unlike any other in the IBT.
Local 89 is doing what they have to do.

177 sent our ballots out last week. They are saying all will be counted before mid December. If it passes, we have a in person vote for the pension raise.

Nimnim

The Nim
I drive around 30 minutes to work depending on traffic. If when I parked on property and it still took another 30 minutes to actually get to the facility and work I'd not be pleased and if possible want to get compensation for that time, if it was like 5 minutes I could possibly be annoyed at times, but with my hub if the parking lot is really full it could take that time to walk from my car to the guard shack, but it's no where near 20 or even 30 minutes. I won't fault these employees for trying to seek compensation for the wait/travel in the shuttle if it really does take that long regularly, but if they say doubled or tripled the shuttles cutting the wait/travel time drastically that's also be acceptable to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Would it make sense for the company to issue ID badges with barcodes which the employee would scan at the shuttle pickup/dropoff point and to pay the employees accordingly for their time coming to and leaving work?

Nimnim

The Nim
Would it make sense for the company to issue ID badges with barcodes which the employee would scan at the shuttle pickup/dropoff point and to pay the employees accordingly for their time coming to and leaving work?

That sounds completely reasonable to me as long as the shuttle times are "excessive" (personally I wouldn't call 5 to perhaps 10 minutes excessive) but I do have my doubts that the company would ever do this. They don't even like paying people when something unexpected happens like an accident on the interstate so the sort has to wait an extra 20 minutes for trailers to arrive.

C

chuchu

I drive around 30 minutes to work depending on traffic. If when I parked on property and it still took another 30 minutes to actually get to the facility and work I'd not be pleased and if possible want to get compensation for that time, if it was like 5 minutes I could possibly be annoyed at times, but with my hub if the parking lot is really full it could take that time to walk from my car to the guard shack, but it's no where near 20 or even 30 minutes. I won't fault these employees for trying to seek compensation for the wait/travel in the shuttle if it really does take that long regularly, but if they say doubled or tripled the shuttles cutting the wait/travel time drastically that's also be acceptable to me.
The offer of the $1000 shuttle "bonus" was not an ongoing offer if you remembered what the company was trying to accomplish. It was for existing employees only and not for anyone hired after ratification.
They were buying votes.

If you look back on local 89's website and check out the first posting of the executive board, etc you will see that they were outraged at all the things that we (and local 100,637,957,413, et al) were.
It will be really interesting to watch their rider negotiations unfold. They're going to protect themselves since the outlying regions screwed us by being allowed to vote on our healthcare and not be affected by it. The part time changes probably aren't going down well in that local and the threats to the parents of employees about the college tuition coverage was a low blow that outraged not only the employees but also the city council.
I hope they succeed in their negotiations.

Nimnim

The Nim
The offer of the $1000 shuttle "bonus" was not an ongoing offer if you remembered what the company was trying to accomplish. It was for existing employees only and not for anyone hired after ratification.
They were buying votes.

If you look back on local 89's website and check out the first posting of the executive board, etc you will see that they were outraged at all the things that we (and local 100,637,957,413, et al) were.
It will be really interesting to watch their rider negotiations unfold. They're going to protect themselves since the outlying regions screwed us by being allowed to vote on our healthcare and not be affected by it. The part time changes probably aren't going down well in that local and the threats to the parents of employees about the college tuition coverage was a low blow that outraged not only the employees but also the city council.
I hope they succeed in their negotiations.

Yeah, I know the stated bonus was a one time thing, unless you're short term that's never a good thing and most of the voters are long term. I'm not happy with how things turned out, I'm a part timer who will most likely get nothing because I've not been employed long enough to take advantage of supposed FT jobs and I've been here too long to get a benefit from the starting rate increase. I'm going to keep working but my insurance will be changed, whether or not it's equivalent that's up for grabs, but I'm likely having to adjust my healthcare providers because of the rest of the nation even though I voted no.

Satuirus2000

I would love to hear from somebody from local 89 and hear their take on this.

I'm from Local 89 and I don't think this would work. THere's too much potential for abuse wit hhat method. In any case, each shuttle stop does not have a scanner with which you scan your ID. You're dropped off at one of 6 stops in a general area and you have to walk to whatever building you work in and clock in on your posi's time clock. There is only a scanner when you first go to security to enter Worldport.

The simplest method is to just add 40 minutes on each workers time each day. Worldport says that it should not take more than 20 minutes each way to get from the security checkpoint to an individuals work area. They say it takes 20 minutes, but it often can take much, much longer. Just waiting for the bus itself can take 10 minutes. In any case, it'd be easier to just add around 2 or so hours to each person's check each week. That's going along with their estimated time numbers too.

But like was mentioned, that shuttle incentive was basically just buying votes and also to quiet the workers about what Worldport is planning to do. Worldport in the near future is planning on closing our existing parking lot so they can extend their runways. This means we are going to have to park even FARTHER away at a different lot, which is going to be adding even more time to get to work. That's why I think they offered that lowball shuttle incentive because people have been asking for compensation on that for YEARS, but only now did they offer it. The timing was suspicious and that's why I think they did it. To shut us up when they really screwed us over.

I don't think some of you realize how horrible the shuttle is. I live only 10 minutes away from Worldport, but I HAVE to leave an hour before work to even have a chance at making it on time. It's even worse if you work at night. Plus these buses have no heat or air, which is a big deal when you're stuck on it for 15-20 minutes.

C

chuchu

I don't think some of you realize how horrible the shuttle is. I live only 10 minutes away from Worldport, but I HAVE to leave an hour before work to even have a chance at making it on time. It's even worse if you work at night. Plus these buses have no heat or air, which is a big deal when you're stuck on it for 15-20 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I've been there at night when it was 96° friend and really humid. The people getting off those saunas on wheels looked wrung out before their shift started.
Can't imagine that after it's rained. You can put on more clothes in the winter but summers have to be brutal.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It amazes me how this site screams about how part timers don't vote, but when UPS/part time heavy Local 89 makes a stand, they are labeled as heretics and rebels.
Isn't this dynamic exactly why we are afforded local autonomy as Teamsters?