Stay at UPS or Leave?

The_black_llama

Hello fellow UPSers. Pretty sure this has been asked already. I'm new to the browncafe world, but i have read older threads so I'm posting my first and just wondered if i should stick with it or pursue something else. I've currently been working a year as an Air walker which will hopefully turn into a driver position in a few years. I know a lot of you guys say how much it sucks and management etc but what are the pros? What makes you stay besides pay and benefits?

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Pay and benefits is where it's at, it'll be tough to find anything comparable out there especially when it comes to benefits. Company paid health care premiums are pretty rare and pension but I personally don't see that coming to fruition.

DOK

Wow, there's a number of threads covering this same topic over the past few weeks, it must be a sign of the state of things now at ups.
Pay and benefits is the reason I stay, I do enjoy driving a vehicle and being outside though. But I wouldn't stay, as well as most, if we got compensated on par with other delivery companies.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Hello fellow UPSers. Pretty sure this has been asked already. I'm new to the browncafe world, but i have read older threads so I'm posting my first and just wondered if i should stick with it or pursue something else. I've currently been working a year as an Air walker which will hopefully turn into a driver position in a few years. I know a lot of you guys say how much it sucks and management etc but what are the pros? What makes you stay besides pay and benefits?
Pay and benefits. You really aren't going to find anything better unless you have a degree, or wanting to do some dangerous work for ridiculous hours.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Pay and benefits. You really aren't going to find anything better unless you have a degree, or wanting to do some dangerous work for ridiculous hours.
EVEN WITH A DEGREE, UPS pay and benefits will most likely be better than you will find anywhere else.
The only benefit with a degree is a less physical workload.

The_black_llama

EVEN WITH A DEGREE, UPS pay and benefits will most likely be better than you will find anywhere else.
I'll probably end up sticking with it, no degree here. I've just heard residential delivering is a crazy schedule being out until 8 at times.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Depends on what your field of study is in. My daughter graduates in May with a Business & Marketing degree and has accepted a position starting out at $74,900.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

How old are you?....pay and benefits here as well....pros- nice being outside when it's nice out..could never work in an office..by yourself all day no manager breathing down your neck...of coarse management makes it tough but that's their job and it's nothing you can't deal with especially when the union has your back, it really is hard to get fired unless you really eff up....the day flys by, punch in in the morning next thing you know it's 3 o'clock........cons- being outside in :censored2:ty weather, working late, getting slammed at Xmas time.....I guess the pros out weigh the cons..stick with it..try to get into driving..can't make a decent living working inside the building unless u get full time and even then full time inside bids work twilight into night shift....worse hours ever

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
What I figured. That's one great thing about ups. Basically the same pay no matter where you are.

Around here a marketing degree might get you 30k out of school if you're lucky enough to find a job.
It all depends on how you sell yourself. Her two roommates both accepted positions in Minneapolis after graduating last semester. One of them used numerous job offers to negotiate an increase in her starting pay to $60,000 while the other one just settled for around $30,000.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It all depends on how you sell yourself. Her two roommates both accepted positions in Minneapolis after graduating last semester. One of them used numerous job offers to negotiate an increase in her starting pay to $60,000 while the other one just settled for around $30,000.
Another big city...

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
That's one great thing about ups. Basically the same pay no matter where you are.
That can be good or bad depending on where you are. In my area, top rate driver money makes you a high roller. Over in somewhere like say, Malibu, I'm sure it's another story.