STAY OUT OF RESIDENTIAL DRIVEWAYS!! NO EXCEPTIONS!! What would you do ?

YesYouDidPushAButton

We've had telematics for a little over a year, my old PC car was one of the trucks with all the Verizon survey equipment since it's a super rural area. There were antennas and stuff all over the roof, it had no keyless or telematics because of it. That is legitimately unsafe. No messing around, no ups games, no working as instructed. I can't tell you how many snakes have run across the road as I drive down, all the racoons, and wild hogs in this area. That hogs alone can kill you.... There is NO where to go should you encounter something and you are a long way from help, or a hospital should something bad happened.

As for the radio... What ?? Contract says I can have a battery powered radio, that radio has been there for 10+ years.. I listen to a talk show most of the day. And looking at the video it looks like it's an obstruction, it's not. It sits down in between the windshield and the dash. This is one of the aero nose trucks, in the old truck it took the same sight space as the hood.

CFLBrown

I am ok with you driving down the driveway...however you need to put that radio in the back.

From new NMA

​Section 8. Radios
Radios will be allowed in package cars. Such radios
shall not inhibit the driver’s view, nor shall they be unsecured.

Location is not defined so I guess it's open for interpretation, also it doesn't actually say if radios will be allowed to be powered on, or during what time of the day. Are you planning on restricting that as well? Good Luck.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Your manager is an idiot.

What if its wintertime, and dark outside? What if they get an 8 piece Pottery Barn order? Are they really expecting you to make multiple trips with a handtruck?

Have faith though, it wont last forever. If you just got Telematics, it will be their new flavor of the week for a short period of time, then they will find some other non-existent "problem" to solve.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
From new NMA

​Section 8. Radios
Radios will be allowed in package cars. Such radios
shall not inhibit the driver’s view, nor shall they be unsecured.

Location is not defined so I guess it's open for interpretation, also it doesn't actually say if radios will be allowed to be powered on, or during what time of the day. Are you planning on restricting that as well? Good Luck.

It is inhibiting his view. I also had one in my package car. Secured up and to the left of drivers seat, that bundle of wires that ran across the top and some straps worked just fine.
Its just too big to be sitting in the window...

It is inhibiting his view. I also had one in my package car. Secured up and to the left of drivers seat, that bundle of wires that ran across the top and some straps worked just fine.
Its just too big to be sitting in the window...

Whatever may fall into the portion of the window that the radio "inhibits" should have been seen long before by any driver worth his salt.

It should be properly secured though.

thessalonian13

What if its wintertime, and dark outside? What if they get an 8 piece Pottery Barn order? Are they really expecting you to make multiple trips with a handtruck?

Have faith though, it wont last forever. If you just got Telematics, it will be their new flavor of the week for a short period of time, then they will find some other non-existent "problem" to solve.
That's the ticket!!!! a 8 piece pottery barn order. Walk it off. (8 trips) That should take about an hour of 2, especially in this heat. .5 stops an hour would get their attention. LOL

Little man...please re-read the new contract. It will be in the back...
I'm six three 225. If you are the average manager who's 5 ft 7 with a little man complex like 99% of them don't take it out on me. Remember why you became a manager?? Cause of that time that girl laughed at you. Look at you now you're a big man even though your 5 ft 6. I didn't pick on you back then but if you want go take it out on some teamsters. Whatever makes you feel bigger in the pants. You got to be happy.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
There is a section of my route with (literally) an aligator infested canal along side, there are wild hogs, deer, and snakes everywhere, along with every flying insect you can imagine. The driveways are about half mile long and full of ankle breaking pot holes, knee deep water/mud holes, low hanging trees, ants, you name it.

For years I've driven these driveways. Ive' been in an older truck with no telematics/keyless yet, and I got put into a newer 1200 bus recently with it. Tattle-tell-ematics reported I'm driving up and down these driveways, I was instructed not to Friday. I explained how long/dangerous they are, and was told to walk it..

I know, work as instructed, I dont feel safe working as instructed. I sheeted them missed Monday, brought them back, I said I dont feel safe, comfortable, and was trying to expect the unexpected (being killed) and was told cant do that, deliver them. So I went back out, and recorded one of the driveways. How would you handle this, instructions are to walk the driveway. Expect the unexpected, and the "management cant instruct you to do something dangerous" plays in here too. I REFUSE to walk these driveways, it is NOT safe... And was instructed not to sheet them missed.

I have continued to not work as instructed and drove up and down them this week after being told not to.

Heres a video, driveway is actually another 40-50 Yards longer but camera stopped by mistake, mailbox is all the way at the end past where video stops. This is NOT a road, it's a private driveway. And I'm going slow because it's a terrible surface, all those ankle breaking potholes and dips shake the truck and I'm trying to keep pcs on the shelf. This is only 11 am with a full load

IMG 2889 - YouTube

One brother to another, I'd take that vid down....immediately...

That said, I completely understand your predicament. I concur that walking off a stop like this, is ridiculous. I feel like, putting a video like this on YouTube will not gain sympathy but, draw fire upon you.

Remember, this is their game. They make the rules. They change the rules as they see fit.

Play their silly ass game, by their silly ass rules. They'll find someone else to "jimmy rustle."

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

They want to play exactly on the rules guess what. You do the same. When there is an over weight package to be delivered. Call and request a union brother or sister to come help. Walk those stops off and do 25 stops in a day.

They will lose interest in what your doing very fast.

grspancho

can you sheet as emc (emergency condition) and have supervisor go check the private lane out and call to talk to customer on where to leave package or indirect it at a alternate address.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One brother to another, I'd take that vid down....immediately...

My thoughts exactly... Filming while driving doesn't quite fit UPS's safety standards. (But only because it's not in their best interest otherwise it would be ok.)

Other than a few large holes that got the steering wheel into view he almost got through the whole video without showing any ups property. Just road and radio lol.

This looks like my type of route right here. It's asinine to think anyone be expected to walk a stop like this off. No way should it be walked at night.

I'd welcome any warning letter or firing they sent my way over this. Any steward or BA would laugh them out of the building.

I would be tempted to walk them off one day though. I'd also be updating my management team every hour as to the number of missed pieces I would have.

Indecisi0n

I'm six three 225. If you are the average manager who's 5 ft 7 with a little man complex like 99% of them don't take it out on me. Remember why you became a manager?? Cause of that time that girl laughed at you. Look at you now you're a big man even though your 5 ft 6. I didn't pick on you back then but if you want go take it out on some teamsters. Whatever makes you feel bigger in the pants. You got to be happy.

You sound like a beefy stud.

CoolArrow

I would NEVER take the package car down that road. It is not safe for you or the vehicle. I would leave everything at the gate or sheet as emergency conditions and the customer can come get it. I would NEVER walk this off either. If you have to deliver this then continue driving it. If they don't like it then they can come ride with you and walk with you to demonstrate what they want but you won't be discplined from telematics. Stand up for yourself and take care of the things that they can write you up for and technology can't be used against you. Ask them to ride with you if they don't like it and I agree with others who have told you to remove that video because you are driving with one hand and videoing at the same time.

Last edited:
S

serenity now

I would NEVER take the package car down that road. It is not safe for you or the vehicle. I would leave everything at the gate or sheet as emergency conditions and the customer can come get it. I would NEVER walk this off either. If you have to deliver this then continue driving it. If they don't like it then they can come ride with you and walk with you to demonstrate what they want but you won't be discplined from telematics. Stand up for yourself and take care of the things that they can write you up for and technology can't be used against you. Ask them to ride with you if they don't like it and I agree with others who have told you to remove that video because you are driving with one hand and videoing at the same time.

If you wouldn't take the truck down that lane you could forget about being a driver here. It's not all curb and gutter with cute little Monopoly houses at the end of a short concrete drive.