Staying/Getting Fit As A Delivery Driver: On Topic Please

rss13

I sometimes have one "cheat meal" per week and I usually feel a little weird afterwards. The last one was a couple of weeks ago when my wife was able to talk me into going to a Chinese buffet. I'm not so sure I will be able to allow myself to do that again. LOL
Same here. My cheat meal usually involves pizza while bowling with the kids.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know it is bad for you but I stop at fast food everyday mainly for the a/c and just to get out of the truck.Days I bring my lunch are the days I feel a lot better.More energy

One of our on cars was training a new driver. They stopped at BK for lunch and the on car brought his lunch in with him.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I sometimes have one "cheat meal" per week and I usually feel a little weird afterwards. The last one was a couple of weeks ago when my wife was able to talk me into going to a Chinese buffet. I'm not so sure I will be able to allow myself to do that again. LOL

You would hate going to a Chinese buffet with me and my son. We each go through the line 3, maybe 4, times. We certainly get our money's worth.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm 5'10" and weigh 185-190. I haven't drank sodas in a couple of years and I stay away from fast food. Breakfast is a banana, bowl of grits, and a coffee for the drive to work. Lunch is half a sandwich and a candy bar, I drink ice water all day. I do have a regular dinner, although I have been cutting back on portion size the last few years. I used to eat everything in sight and burn off calories at work, but at the age of 58 my metabolism seems to have slowed down. I'm trying to use a smaller shovel these days. I'm more careful about what I eat, I try to eat more fruits and vegetables and I have cut out white bread. I go for organic when possible and I also have a vegetable garden. I walk 10-12 miles at work and do 30-35 pushups when I get home, I'm too lazy to do sit-ups. I like to go hiking on the weekends. People tell me I look younger than I really am, its important to try to take care of yourself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a driver who power walks with his wife for about an hour every morning before work. We kid him that it is hard to tell how old he is because he is Oriental but the fact is that he is in amazing shape, takes care of his body and eats right. He tells us that he doesn't eat 3 meals but rather has "mini-meals" throughout the day. Our routes overlap and I know that he eats from the time he leaves in the morning up until he comes back in the evening.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Will have to cut back on food after I retire......, or I will blow up like a newly married woman. :-)

I weigh 10 pounds more than I did 41 years ago.
Not bad, I'd say.

Overpaid Union Thug

You would hate going to a Chinese buffet with me and my son. We each go through the line 3, maybe 4, times. We certainly get our money's worth.
That's what I do. There's no point in going to a buffet otherwise! LOL.

We have a driver who power walks with his wife for about an hour every morning before work. We kid him that it is hard to tell how old he is because he is Oriental but the fact is that he is in amazing shape, takes care of his body and eats right. He tells us that he doesn't eat 3 meals but rather has "mini-meals" throughout the day. Our routes overlap and I know that he eats from the time he leaves in the morning up until he comes back in the evening.
That guy sounds like me. Only I'm not Oriental and I walk after work. I make it a point to walk up hills as much as I can. Those hills burn the calories off like crazy.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I am 6' 195 which is about 5 pounds more than I weighed when I was playing ball in college 30 years ago.

I have never been more than 10 pounds above or below that. The problem I have to constantly control is my hunger at night. I am always starving when I get home from work, but I try to make good choices.

Fast food makes me feel terrible afterwards and whenever you eat out the portion sizes are about twice what a person should be eating.

My wife is a fitness nut and is 5'7 115. We brew green tea and drink it unsweetened instead of soda.

Closing in on retirement we are committed to controlling what we can health wise. Any travelling or hobbies we talk about will be more enjoyable if our bodies feel good doing it. Obviously, there are some health problems you can't completely prevent.
how do you stem that hunger at night? do you have certain snacks or veggie snacks? or drink a lot of water? that's my main problem, eating after 6pm. usually carbs.

Re-Raise

how do you stem that hunger at night? do you have certain snacks or veggie snacks? or drink a lot of water? that's my main problem, eating after 6pm. usually carbs.
I know it sounds weird, but one thing that kind of keeps me from grabbing something from the fridge is brushing my teeth. Just having that fresh taste in my mouth seems to take my mind off of eating.

I also think I sometimes mistakenly think I am hungry when I am actually only thirsty. I don't really like drinking plain water, but I drink a ton of green tea. We also go through a lot of apples. We have a convenient slicer that cores the apple and slices it into about 8 individual slices. We use it a lot.

Overpaid Union Thug

I know it sounds weird, but one thing that kind of keeps me from grabbing something from the fridge is brushing my teeth. Just having that fresh taste in my mouth seems to take my mind off of eating.

I also think I sometimes mistakenly think I am hungry when I am actually only thirsty. I don't really like drinking plain water, but I drink a ton of green tea. We also go through a lot of apples. We have a convenient slicer that cores the apple and slices it into about 8 individual slices. We use it a lot.
I read something about that on the news feed on the MyFitnessPal app. It said that we often think we are hungry when we are actually thirsty. And suggested drinking water whenever you feel the urge to snack. I also had a habit of eating whenever I was bored. Typically when i was watching TV and would start to lose interest in whatever show/movie that I had on. So, I decided I would simply drink water instead. Been doing it every since.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One of my weaknesses was soda.

I used to have at least one 20oz Pepsi everyday on road and 1-2 glasses w/dinner.

I stopped buying the 2 liters and will only buy the 20oz every once in a while.

I switched to sweetened iced tea.

I rarely if ever buy any food while on road.

6' 165 lbs.
Sweet tea is no better than soda.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Sweet tea is no better than soda.
image.jpg