STD and Unemployment

Santashelper1

hey guys,

Need some help. I am applying for short term disability due to an off the job injury. Doctors note said light work but management said they didn't have any work to offer. Would I be able to collect both STD and unemployment?

STD payments are like $300 a week which isn't going to cut it for the bills. I called central states teamcare and they said I can't collect both but I have read on these forums that there are some of you collecting both. Can someone please clear things up for a confused UPS'er? Thanks

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The injury was off-duty. Offering TAW for an off-duty injury would set quite the precedent.

The precedent has already been set. In my area, at least, UPS has to consider light duty work for those injured on the job as well as those injured off the job.

Your medical restrictions determine whether or not you are offered light duty. And light duty is only offered for 14 days.

So if you are going to be off more than 14 days, light duty is not even an option.

Santashelper1

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it. Hopefully I just get better fast and get back to work. I hate just sitting at home, especially when the pay checks are only going to be $300 a week. Health is more important I guess tho. Still have a lot of years left to get that pension. Lol

P

pickup

Does my situation qualify for unemployment?

One of the questions asked by the Unemployment office is "Are you able and willing to work?"

By virtue of being on disability, the unemployment office views you as "unable".

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Where I am, TAW is offered for up to 29 days. Since Liberty Mutual pays a portion of it, it wouldn't be offered for an off the job injury.

I'm on Workman's Comp right now. I worked a couple of 14 hour days while on TAW, they are taking penalty pay out of my W/C checks!

Holydriver

hey guys,

Need some help. I am applying for short term disability due to an off the job injury. Doctors note said light work but management said they didn't have any work to offer. Would I be able to collect both STD and unemployment?

STD payments are like $300 a week which isn't going to cut it for the bills. I called central states teamcare and they said I can't collect both but I have read on these forums that there are some of you collecting both. Can someone please clear things up for a confused UPS'er? Thanks
this post isnt about sexually transmitted diseases? damn it, what a waste of time