STD and Unemployment

Cementups

Box Monkey
hey guys,

Need some help. I am applying for short term disability due to an off the job injury. Doctors note said light work but management said they didn't have any work to offer. Would I be able to collect both STD and unemployment?

STD payments are like $300 a week which isn't going to cut it for the bills. I called central states teamcare and they said I can't collect both but I have read on these forums that there are some of you collecting both. Can someone please clear things up for a confused UPS'er? Thanks

Apparently it depends on where you are. It must not be allowed were @UpstateNYUPSer is but here it is.

I was just off for 5 months due to a out of work injury. In most cases you can collect BOTH STD AND UNEMPLOYMENT. In my particular case I was denied STD because I wrecked a go kart (considered an ATV) and ATV accidents are not covered in our contract. On the other hand, a friend of mine is off right now having had a full knees replacement. He gets unemployment which is $573/week ($513 if you have taxes withheld) as well as STD which pays about $250/week. You get the STD and then when you tell UPS that your doctor has released you for light duty they will not offer it because you're an insurance liability. So since they won't give you work you can file for unemployment and collect there as well.

Santashelper1

Apparently it depends on where you are. It must not be allowed were @UpstateNYUPSer is but here it is.

I was just off for 5 months due to a out of work injury. In most cases you can collect BOTH STD AND UNEMPLOYMENT. In my particular case I was denied STD because I wrecked a go kart (considered an ATV) and ATV accidents are not covered in our contract. On the other hand, a friend of mine is off right now having had a full knees replacement. He gets unemployment which is $573/week ($513 if you have taxes withheld) as well as STD which pays about $250/week. You get the STD and then when you tell UPS that your doctor has released you for light duty they will not offer it because you're an insurance liability. So since they won't give you work you can file for unemployment and collect there as well.

That is what happened. I just sent my paperwork in for STD. I have a doctors note for light duty but my center manager said he wasn't going to work me and had nothing to offer. I just wasn't sure since I'm allowed to work and they aren't working me if I was eligible to apply for unemployment as well. $300 a week isn't going to cut, especially with the medical bills going to start climbing up.

Cementups

Box Monkey
That is what happened. I just sent my paperwork in for STD. I have a doctors note for light duty but my center manager said he wasn't going to work me and had nothing to offer. I just wasn't sure since I'm allowed to work and they aren't working me if I was eligible to apply for unemployment as well. $300 a week isn't going to cut, especially with the medical bills going to start climbing up.

Here in PA you would be eligible for unemployment as well as STD.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I understand people have different things going on in their lives but I hope those that are able to, save 3-6 months of expenses for times like these. I see people getting supplemental insurance, why not self insure though having a cash savings account and stop giving insurance companies executives reasons to increase their EOY bonuses.

I get it's hard sometimes due to life happening to save a large stash of cash, but you have to make it priority, once it's done it's there until you need it. Nice thing about it it's not just used for out of work injury, could be used for a termination, time off for another family member who needs your support, whatever.

Once again, you'll also receive STD checks as well to help that stash last longer if it is injury related.

Santashelper1

I understand people have different things going on in their lives but I hope those that are able to, save 3-6 months of expenses for times like these. I see people getting supplemental insurance, why not self insure though having a cash savings account and stop giving insurance companies executives reasons to increase their EOY bonuses.

I get it's hard sometimes due to life happening to save a large stash of cash, but you have to make it priority, once it's done it's there until you need it. Nice thing about it it's not just used for out of work injury, could be used for a termination, time off for another family member who needs your support, whatever.

Once again, you'll also receive STD checks as well to help that stash last longer if it is injury related.
I'm not a top rate driver yet, and try and save as much as I can. Sometimes things don't work out the way you want tho. I can't wait till I make top rate so I can throw it at my savings a little more.

10 point

In the last two yrs we had a driver that went on STD, got unemployment, and when he went on LTD he got it too. LTD was $3200/month PLUS unemployment. He did have to poll x amount of businesses a week to seek employment but of course none of them wanted an employee working there that was on disability.

We got our tip off for that from @Lead Belly . You may be able to PM him if you need more info.

10 point

If I remember the numbers correctly the driver got around $400/wk in unemployment.

It was worth the phone call or email inquiry.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I was on a off the job disability last year .
I got $600/wk thru the Teamsters for 6 months .
I timed it just right , I didn't miss a beat .When the last disability check arrived , the next week my pension checks started .