Stealing time???

union4life

If you are recording a break period and you show work happening during that time frame, I believe you are guilty of falsifying information on a UPS document.

OP, are you recording a meal period?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you are recording a break period and you show work happening during that time frame, I believe you are guilty of falsifying information on a UPS document.

OP, are you recording a meal period?
Unfortunately you're describing what management likes to refer to "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". If it doesn't negatively effect them, or moreso, positively effects them, they turn a blind eye. That is until said employee gets hurt or in an accident while on lunch. Then they use the "We told him to take his lunch and not work through it, this won't be covered under UPS liabilities as he was doing it off the clock"

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I usually get a little over 10 hours of overtime a week. One week I was allowed to start early and worked an extra 4 hours of overtime, and when I got my paycheck it equaled out to around $15hr. once taxes and deductions came out.
Ok then I thought I was losing my mind. I never figure it out, but 3 hrs OT, I get a little more, 10 hrs, and my tired little fingers cant figure it out, but the OT was not worth it..............

mike1646

We are required to take a full hour lunch or you get a warning letter, still there are people who record it and don't take just like there are those who fix their load before their start time. I don't understand why would you work for free, if you need to go early make an 8 hour request.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We are required to take a full hour lunch or you get a warning letter, still there are people who record it and don't take just like there are those who fix their load before their start time. I don't understand why would you work for free, if you need to go early make an 8 hour request.

If you do that here, you could be terminated for falsifying records.

C

chuchu

My center takes it automatically.
Our (drivers) time cards are a DOT document. NO ONE is allowed to change 1 minute on that document except the driver unless the driver OKs the management to change it. There are federal fines, federal prosecution (and termination) for company employees (or anyone) who alters any time or description of time allotments on someone elses timecard that is regulated and mandated by the DOT! If you ever find management changing ANYTHING on your time card as pertains to down time, meals and break times, "left &/or return to building" times, etc......things that change time allotments in any way without your permission.....screw the grievance process. Call your state highway patrol post and ask them to have an investigator for the DOT call you (if he isn't available) and report the violation. Ask for a full blown investigation of the centers/hubs timecard manipulation for all drivers there. These changes are totally illegal and those "small" changes may put your job in jeopardy in regards to going "over DOT hours" some day. We caught them doing it in our facility and they trembled in fear when we reported it. This is TOTALLY against the law. Note: You better make sure you "dot your i's" afterwards....it is a double-edged sword.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Does credibility mean nothing to you?
As a matter of fact, credibility means a lot to me. Why don't you call that number I gave you and ask someone in
Y building. You won't, though. Because you are you enjoy knocking a girl around on a website more. Did you get a chubby from it? I wouldn't be surprised. Little boys usually do. Then they go sit in the corner by themselves. Are you in a corner by your self? Again, I wouldn't be surprised.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a couple of drivers in my center who would have a rude awakening if UPS decided to cross-check delivery records against the break and lunch times entered in the DIAD. The sad reality is that this will never happen as they make their numbers look good.

One of these drivers and I share two bulk pickups. He is supposed to make a sweep through and I close them out. He hasn't been to either in at least a month yet still closes them out in the board as though he has. It is no secret that he calls pickups and uses the sign system. He had one pickup, which just happens to be next door to one of the shared bulk pickups and is on one of our major roads, that got tired of his phone calls. I asked my DPS to put that pickup on my area. The ironic part is that this driver will sometimes take his meal break there (it is an electronics store with a kickass big screen TV and theater chairs) yet he can't be bothered to make a sweep through the bulk pickup next door. I have asked repeatedly if this is falsification and been told yes but there has been no followup as, again, he makes their numbers look good.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We have a couple of drivers in my center who would have a rude awakening if UPS decided to cross-check delivery records against the break and lunch times entered in the DIAD. The sad reality is that this will never happen as they make their numbers look good.

One of these drivers and I share two bulk pickups. He is supposed to make a sweep through and I close them out. He hasn't been to either in at least a month yet still closes them out in the board as though he has. It is no secret that he calls pickups and uses the sign system. He had one pickup, which just happens to be next door to one of the shared bulk pickups and is on one of our major roads, that got tired of his phone calls. I asked my DPS to put that pickup on my area. The ironic part is that this driver will sometimes take his meal break there (it is an electronics store with a kickass big screen TV and theater chairs) yet he can't be bothered to make a sweep through the bulk pickup next door. I have asked repeatedly if this is falsification and been told yes but there has been no followup as, again, he makes their numbers look good.

It is not your job to report any one to management. They don't need your help.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It does not impact you, and you need to let management handle the discipline. If you want to do it put in a letter. Otherwise your just a RAT!!You may not like it, but it does not affect you!!

If he shares a bulk stop with this guy and the guy gets credit for a stop yet picks up no pieces, it does effect him. Every piece the other guy doesn't pick up is another piece Upstate has to.

How can UPS be stealing your one hour a day when you are voluntarily working through the lunch? If you chose to take the lunch, then there would be no possible way that hour would be stolen. But you are the one choosing to work through the lunch, you are in effect giving that time to UPS. I understand your motivation, you would rather spend that hour with your family. I get that. Does not change the fact that you are making a choice.

For example if you request an 8 hour day, but the way the route is set up, It is impossible to take a full hour lunch.
If you took an hour lunch, it would knock you off of your schedule and would screw your pickups at the end of the day.
If the work that you have been dispatched does not allow for you to take a lunch, why should the company get a free hour of work on you? This is not a typical 9 to 5 job where you have set hours. As we know all types of things happen during the day that can affect your time. Misloads, construction..ETC All I am saying is that we should get paid for the hours that we actually worked.

Are you clocking out for lunch then continuing to work through it or are you working straight for 9 hours and the company deducts an hour of time off your paid day? I believe the latter resulted in a lawsuit that the company lost. The first example is you costing yourself that hour so the company is not guilty of costing you time.

I am talking about working straight for 9 hours. Some routes are very very difficult to take a full hour lunch without screwing yourself. Unless you want to sit around at the end, sometimes you just want to go home after a long hard day. I believe that the company should pay us for the actual hours that we work. Not to deduct an hour for lunch when the demands of the route that you're running are too high.

Last edited:

whiskey

If you are paid over by just one minute, well, you are a theif. And you should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If that means job termination, then so be it. There is no gray area. You are a thief. How does it feel to be a theif?
Stay my well my freind.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If he shares a bulk stop with this guy and the guy gets credit for a stop yet picks up no pieces, it does effect him. Every piece the other guy doesn't pick up is another piece Upstate has to.

Credit???
The only credit that any of us need to be concerned with is our hourly rate.
I could care less what my allowance comes out to be.
If I get paid for the hours I work at my contractual pay rate, I have received all of the "credit" I need.
This guy is indeed being dishonest, but I agree with grgrcr88, it's not UpState's place to police the situation.

Last edited: