Step 1: file grievance or talk?

smapple

Hub cut precharge/wrapup for hourlies which means sups are now doing those jobs, should I file a grievance or talk with someone first?

UniteandWin

You are going to file, but why not cover all openings by bringing attention to situations verbally with a steward. We do this because we don't allow the company to go straight to progressive discipline, without verbal warning. Ot makes your case stronger

Sent using BrownCafe App

BrownTexas

Id let them know you are going to file. Then stand their and watch them work. Simply say "you can either pay me to do it, or you can do it and pay me doubly time."

twoweeled

Hub cut precharge/wrapup for hourlies which means sups are now doing those jobs, should I file a grievance or talk with someone first?
Just mention it to them, on your way to write the grievance. No threats or big talk. Just mention it and do what you gotta do. But don't be one of these thousands of guys we work with, who threaten to do this and that - and don't do squat!! Then you look like a spineless blowhard to management. Just mention it, and do it. After a few, "mention and file grievance " episodes. They'll listen a lot better when you mention stuff in the future.
NicolasSarkozyBigGrin.jpg

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The first step of progressive discipline is a verbal warning

Correct, sort of. A verbal warning "is" the first step of progressive discipline but the first step of progressive discipline is "not" necessarily a verbal warning.

Contractually, the only thing UPS has to issue a verbal warning for first is attendance. Any other infraction can go straight to a warning letter, or discharge if a cardinal sin.

By The Book

Correct, sort of. A verbal warning "is" the first step of progressive discipline but the first step of progressive discipline is "not" necessarily a verbal warning.

Contractually, the only thing UPS has to issue a verbal warning for first is attendance. Any other infraction can go straight to a warning letter, or discharge if a cardinal sin.
Good points!

twoweeled

I don't think that's correct, unless something has changed. It's sounds like your skipping the "he said/I said. I also know that in the last couple of years, management has started to skip the He said/I said and have gone straight to the warning letter. In the interest of reality, Management can do whatever they want. The question is, will it hold if it's taken to the worse case scenario. Odds are it will not stand. UPS can fire you for looking ugly if they wish, but it will not stand at arbitration. TANGENT ALERT!!
Bottom line, He said/ I said is a step in the progression of discipline. Of course, Cardinal sins are one of the exceptions to this. management has circumvented this one, by categorizing "virtually everything" under dishonesty.

twoweeled

I have never read it. But I'm guessing you are also aware of "pass practice". That has undoubtedly been pass practice for at least 30 years. Which more than validates it. It may very well be written in some form. Either way, it has been pass practice.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have never read it. But I'm guessing you are also aware of "pass practice". That has undoubtedly been pass practice for at least 30 years. Which more than validates it. It may very well be written in some form. Either way, it has been pass practice.
It's "past" not "pass"
Hope that helps