Stewards Exempt from Paying Union Dues?

Hofficer Hater

Does anyone know of shop stewards in any locals not paying union dues?

I just found out that some locals don't charge their stewards union dues. What kind of crap is that? I'm a steward and pay my dues.

alwaysRTS

Shop Steward
I pay dues. In some Locals if you're elected as a steward your dues are typically paid by the Local. Where I am we are appointed, we don't go through the election process.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I just found out that some locals don't charge their stewards union dues. What kind of crap is that? I'm a steward and pay my dues.

Do you not understand the importance, of Locals maintaining their

autonomy from the IBT ?

Worry about what goes on in your Local.... not mine.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

autonomy from the IBT ?

-Bug-

He does have a point.

Much like it appears that UPS has individual franchises across the country, each with their own set of operating procedures, IBT locals should be the same whether you are in Potsdam, NY, or Los Angeles, CA.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
He does have a point.

Much like it appears that UPS has individual franchises across the country, each with their own set of operating procedures, IBT locals should be the same whether you are in Potsdam, NY, or Los Angeles, CA.

Self governance.... is one of the most important tenets, Locals enjoy.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

autonomy from the IBT ?

-Bug-
It would seem that "autonomy" wasn't much of a priority in the last UPS contract negotiations, and was completely circumvented by Art. XII sec VI of the IBT Constitution.

87 bucks a month to answer tons of phone calls when you should be spending time raising your kids making your wife happy doing things that need to be done around the house let alone finding hobbies that every man or women need to stay sane. Much less not even getting into the door at work without getting questions that are repeatedly asked over and over again sometimes being asked questions while you are taking a piss or crap and defending members even though you will feel the repercussions.

Yea anyone doing this for the $87bucks is nutz

And dude either you have been around for a minute and are in your twenties with about 4 years as a teamster under your belt or you are a troll you are completely clueless.

barnyard

KTM rider
They do not pay in my local. In exchange for that, they go to regular meetings and spend time on the phone off the clock. For what they do, I think covering their dues is the least we can do.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
They do not pay in my local. In exchange for that, they go to regular meetings and spend time on the phone off the clock. For what they do, I think covering their dues is the least we can do.

Same here and the $87/mo doesn't come close to compensating us for all the time we spend off the clock. It is a symbolic gesture and a show of appreciation from the local.

Our alternates do pay their own dues.

LagunaBrown

Elected stewards don't pay but alternates do here...... I was an alternate for 8 years and it was a great apprenticeship. I'm thankful for all the wisdom the elected stewards gave me but most of all for their time. Now my dues are covered but whether you pay or not I want to say hats off to all of you that put the time in for the members........ It is a thankless job and very time consuming. I know we don't always agree here but I respect anyone that actually does the job instead of the peanut gallery and internet Heroes that love to comment but have no skin in the game.