Stewards Exempt from Paying Union Dues?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by The Son of Sam, Dec 26, 2015.

1. The Son of Sam

The Son of Sam Active Member

Does anyone know of shop stewards in any locals not paying union dues?

I just found out that some locals don't charge their stewards union dues. What kind of crap is that? I'm a steward and pay my dues.

2. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

I know ours doesn't. The running joke is he took the position so he could avoid paying them.

3. alwaysRTS

alwaysRTS Shop Steward

I pay dues. In some Locals if you're elected as a steward your dues are typically paid by the Local. Where I am we are appointed, we don't go through the election process.

4. Ecw21411

Ecw21411 Active Member

We pay in our local

5. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

We pay in our Local.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

There are locals that either don't charge stewards or refund their dues.

Anyone who becomes steward to simply get out of paying dues is doing it for the wrong reason.

7. retired2000

retired2000 Active Member

We do not pay dues here

8. UpstateNYUPSer

Retirees don't pay union dues anywhere.

9. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Do you not understand the importance, of Locals maintaining their

autonomy from the IBT ?

Worry about what goes on in your Local.... not mine.

-Bug-

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

He does have a point.

Much like it appears that UPS has individual franchises across the country, each with their own set of operating procedures, IBT locals should be the same whether you are in Potsdam, NY, or Los Angeles, CA.

11. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Self governance.... is one of the most important tenets, Locals enjoy.

-Bug-

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

It would seem that "autonomy" wasn't much of a priority in the last UPS contract negotiations, and was completely circumvented by Art. XII sec VI of the IBT Constitution.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

87 bucks a month to answer tons of phone calls when you should be spending time raising your kids making your wife happy doing things that need to be done around the house let alone finding hobbies that every man or women need to stay sane. Much less not even getting into the door at work without getting questions that are repeatedly asked over and over again sometimes being asked questions while you are taking a piss or crap and defending members even though you will feel the repercussions.

Yea anyone doing this for the $87bucks is nutz

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

And dude either you have been around for a minute and are in your twenties with about 4 years as a teamster under your belt or you are a troll you are completely clueless.

15. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Tdu sucks. See why

16. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

They do not pay in my local. In exchange for that, they go to regular meetings and spend time on the phone off the clock. For what they do, I think covering their dues is the least we can do.

17. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

Same here and the $87/mo doesn't come close to compensating us for all the time we spend off the clock. It is a symbolic gesture and a show of appreciation from the local.

Our alternates do pay their own dues.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Other that ignorance why would someone start a thread like this one other than to troll?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  19. UpstateNYUPSer

If the alternate has to step in are their dues refunded while they are on the job?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  20. LagunaBrown

LagunaBrown Well-Known Member

Elected stewards don't pay but alternates do here...... I was an alternate for 8 years and it was a great apprenticeship. I'm thankful for all the wisdom the elected stewards gave me but most of all for their time. Now my dues are covered but whether you pay or not I want to say hats off to all of you that put the time in for the members........ It is a thankless job and very time consuming. I know we don't always agree here but I respect anyone that actually does the job instead of the peanut gallery and internet Heroes that love to comment but have no skin in the game.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List