Stewards Exempt from Paying Union Dues?

Inthegame

Elected stewards don't pay but alternates do here...... I was an alternate for 8 years and it was a great apprenticeship. I'm thankful for all the wisdom the elected stewards gave me but most of all for their time. Now my dues are covered but whether you pay or not I want to say hats off to all of you that put the time in for the members........ It is a thankless job and very time consuming. I know we don't always agree here but I respect anyone that actually does the job instead of the peanut gallery and internet Heroes that love to comment but have no skin in the game.
Wait a doggone minute, 25 yrs a steward and I still have a little skin left...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Stewards pay dues here, but if they attend all the union meetings through the year they get their dues refunded by the local.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It would seem that "autonomy" wasn't much of a priority in the last UPS contract negotiations, and was completely circumvented by Art. XII sec VI of the IBT Constitution.

Trying to compare an IBT Constitutional provision (as it relates to employer contracts)

with the (autonomous) Bylaws of a Local.... is quite a stretch.

Even TDU, vigorously defends the principal.

How else, would TDU be able to fleece a Local (financially) through their elected puppets ?

-Bug-

Browntown2014

87 bucks a month to answer tons of phone calls when you should be spending time raising your kids making your wife happy doing things that need to be done around the house let alone finding hobbies that every man or women need to stay sane. Much less not even getting into the door at work without getting questions that are repeatedly asked over and over again sometimes being asked questions while you are taking a piss or crap and defending members even though you will feel the repercussions.

Yea anyone doing this for the $87bucks is nutz

This is a great point. I have always wondered why they do it. God bless them.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Trying to compare an IBT Constitutional provision (as it relates to employer contracts)

How else, would TDU be able to fleece a Local (financially) through their elected puppets ?

-Bug-
I wasn't trying to compare the two?

I was just noting the irony and contradiction of our supposed "autonomy".

~Bbbl~

Brown Spider

-Bug-

Brown Spider

-Bug-

I think you've pointed out in the past that you don't like to be corrected. However, at the risk of doing it again, I'd point out that I think you mean principle here. Example: Your principal officer may actually have no principles...or the principle of reimbursing Stewards for their dues may be opposed by your principal officer.

Incidentally, I happen to agree with the principle of reimbursing Stewards for their dues. Most of them do damn good work in a thankless position.

5habits100

-Bug-
It's the same stuff over and over with them. They have nothing else. They can't comment how their golden boy, the next Carey lost his election.

Brown Spider

It's the same stuff over and over with them. They have nothing else. They can't comment how their golden boy, the next Carey lost his election.

On December 18th, they posted a comment from the Teamsters United Slate describing the Local 804 election as a setback. That was 9 days ago! What more were you looking for?

5habits100

On December 18th, they posted a comment from the Teamsters United Slate describing the Local 804 election as a setback. That was 9 days ago! What more were you looking for?
I want them to post the truth. They don't have an issue with slamming Hoffa supporters
I want them to write an article how their 413 hero has sub standard contracts for the movies in his local.
I want them to write an article about the 964 guy they have on their slate was appointed to the position, his own members don't support him and he said he won't win an election. His own VP talks about their lack of representation and he is on the board with the guy running with Tim and Z.
They won't write those articles because it doesn't work for them.
That's what I want.

tourists24

Ive been a steward for many years.... I pay dues.... Im not concerned if some locals are different.... I don't do the job to get my dues paid

Brown Spider

I want them to post the truth. They don't have an issue with slamming H supporters
I want them to write an article how their 413 hero has sub standard contracts for the movies in his local.
I want them to write an article about the 964 guy they have on their slate was appointed to the position, his own members don't support him and he said he won't win an election. His own VP talks about their lack of representation and he is on the board with the guy running with Tim and Z.
They won't write those articles because it doesn't work for them.
That's what I want.

Wow! You've expanded your wish list a bit. I suppose you can ask them, but I'm guessing that there may be another side to your analysis of the slate credentials.

5habits100

Wow! You've expanded your wish list a bit. I suppose you can ask them, but I'm guessing that there may be another side to your analysis of the slate credentials.
It is a movie called the tank. If you ever get a copy of the CBA then look at the area standards and you can make your own decision if it's true or not.

Speak with the members and stewards in 964. They say you don't want to be in a hearing with this guy it's bad. Then make your mind up. That's all I'm saying.

Brown Spider

It is a movie called the tank. If you ever get a copy of the CBA then look at the area standards and you can make your own decision if it's true or not.

Speak with the members and stewards in 964. They say you don't want to be in a hearing with this guy it's bad. Then make your mind up. That's all I'm saying.

We'll all get to make our "own decision". I'm certainly not going to make my decision based on a second or third hand report of some anonymous guys saying "you don't want to be in a hearing with this guy." I can assure you that I do not want to be in a hearing, negotiations, an Article 20 dispute, or a luncheon with JH! And I've made that decision based on firsthand knowledge. When I do cast that vote, I'll think of the many Teamsters who are now gone, based on the actions of JH. Thanks, but no thanks.