Stewards Exempt from Paying Union Dues?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You people are funny...WHO CARES

Hold on, lets give these responses a chance.

Bug, Do you speak.........like you type?

Because, that would make for, a suspenseful........................conversation.

Just..........sayin.

-251-

Let's see.

"Paging Tim.... Paging Tim.... Clean up in stall # 3"

yea, this dude is difficult to even read. You, got it, right. he is, not very know, ledgeable, about how to use a, comma

i dont think you understand the right way to use a comma (,)

Yet, another child left behind.

Now this thread is complete.

I wish it was.

-Bug-

Fullhouse

All the more reason to read the IBT Constitution. It's gives each Local Union Executive Board the ability to do so as long as it does not deprive the steward from running for local union office.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
All the more reason to read the IBT Constitution. It's gives each Local Union Executive Board the ability to do so as long as it does not deprive the steward from running for local union office.

In locals where the Stewards do not pay dues, the local pays the dues. It is not that the Steward dues are not paid.

Thus, the Steward is current on his dues and is eligible to run for local office.

It does not matter if the Steward or the local pays the dues, the dues are paid and recorded.

This is up to each local as to whether they pay the Steward's dues or make him pay them.

InsideUPS

Does anyone know of shop stewards in any locals not paying union dues?

I just found out that some locals don't charge their stewards union dues. What kind of crap is that? I'm a steward and pay my dues.

The stewards in our Local have never had their Union dues paid (37 years). Most of us that became stewards long ago did it because we simply believe in "right and wrong"...."fairness"...and upholding the contract language to the best of our ability. As some individuals have mentioned, it is often a thankless job however rewards are not always measured monetarily. As a side note...... addressing "right and wrong" issues in my mind extends to both dealing with overly aggressive/abusive management personnel as well as addressing hourly employees that feel that they are entitled to protection beyond what is outlined in the contract language. I often remind management that every "bad" hourly employee was screened and hired by UPS management. If they happened to hire a "problem child", I do not want to be the person to try and correct the issue. Our job is simply to represent as fairly and completely as possible and allow the grievance process to take place.

As far as monetary compensation for stewards, it should be remembered that a steward is paid for attending Union hearings, meetings with supervisors on work issues, etc.. Therefore you are getting compensated indirectly for doing non-labor duties as a UPS employee. Another non-monetary benefit of being a steward is a higher level of protection against company retaliation as outlined in the Master language in addition to extended NLRB protection as found at the following link: :http://www.laborandcollectivebargai...ng-investigatory-interviews-under-weingarten/

In summary, if getting your Union dues paid by your Local is the primary incentive for becoming a steward....."Don't become a Union Steward". You will not be doing yourself, your coworkers or the management that you report to any favors.

BrownBlue

New Jack
I proudly pay and never asked not to as a Steward. But as some said, the work load is inexhaustible. Unless you are some worthless D bag Steward.

ManInBrown

I would have no problem with my Stewart not paying dues. Even though we don't see eye to eye all the time it's a lot of work. A lot. Especially if one's mgmt team is a bunch of :censored2:

ski or die

Ski or Die
The stewards in our Local have never had their Union dues paid (37 years). Most of us that became stewards long ago did it because we simply believe in "right and wrong"...."fairness"...and upholding the contract language to the best of our ability. As some individuals have mentioned, it is often a thankless job however rewards are not always measured monetarily. As a side note...... addressing "right and wrong" issues in my mind extends to both dealing with overly aggressive/abusive management personnel as well as addressing hourly employees that feel that they are entitled to protection beyond what is outlined in the contract language. I often remind management that every "bad" hourly employee was screened and hired by UPS management. If they happened to hire a "problem child", I do not want to be the person to try and correct the issue. Our job is simply to represent as fairly and completely as possible and allow the grievance process to take place.

As far as monetary compensation for stewards, it should be remembered that a steward is paid for attending Union hearings, meetings with supervisors on work issues, etc.. Therefore you are getting compensated indirectly for doing non-labor duties as a UPS employee. Another non-monetary benefit of being a steward is a higher level of protection against company retaliation as outlined in the Master language in addition to extended NLRB protection as found at the following link: :http://www.laborandcollectivebargai...ng-investigatory-interviews-under-weingarten/

In summary, if getting your Union dues paid by your Local is the primary incentive for becoming a steward....."Don't become a Union Steward". You will not be doing yourself, your coworkers or the management that you report to any favors.
My dues were never paid for me. Also, when I went to grievance hearings, that was unpaid also. At one hearing, they actually heard all the grievances before lunch except mine. I was left in an adjacent room the entire time. When they returned from lunch, they heard my grievance concerning seniority. My BA sat on his hands the entire time and did not say a word. Lost the grievance and a days pay. Contacted our Local President and had a meeting with him. He was willing to file charges against the BA. I did not want to see anyone lose a job, including this BA. I requested that the grievance be revisited and when I attend future grievance hearings, I am not left there all day. The grievance was revisited without me even attending and was reversed. All future hearings, mine was heard immediately. As far as protection from retaliation, within the first 2 weeks of me becoming a steward, my manager called me into the office and said if I would work with the company, things would be easy for me. If I didn't, they would make things very difficult. I refused, I was elected to represent my fellow employees, not the company. Things did get hard, just had to make sure nothing I did was improper to get me disciplined. It sure didn't help not having an honest BA. Back during the strike of 97, before cell phones, myself and several stewards from around the country were in constant contact be phone over issues in the upcoming contract. None of us were reimbursed for our phone bills.

Change your avatar ffs...
I agree only a ff pig would have an avatar of someone who is a piece of crap to women. You really have to question someone's motives to have an avatar like that. All I'd need is about two minutes with th original son of Sam and a waiver to not try me for the crime I'm about to commit and that guy would be in hell. Anyone who glorifies th mistreatment of women is a jerk.

image.jpeg