Stewards Rights??

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am a steward in local 795 and have recently come up against some very disturbing things to me! I would love some input from any other stewards or business agents on these issues!!

I am a full time driver which means I am not scheduled to work on Saturdays(obviosly) but we do not have a steward on the premises on saturdays. I decided to stop in one Saturday morning as I was in the neighborhood, and see how things were going. I get to the building and find 4 drivers out in the lot 10 minutes prior to start time moving package cars ariond. When I get to the sup on duty he calls a manager which tells me over the phone that I must leave immediately or they will call 911 to have me removed!! I went ahead and left and filed a grievance under article 4, which has not yet been heard. The company is now saying that stewards are only allowed in the building when they are scheduled to work. Any thoughts?

The next problem is that a center manager has told our stewards that accepting phone calls from members regarding union bussiness while on the clock is going to be grounds for discipline! Any thoughts?

I have also been told that we are under not allowed to fill out grievances on the clock under any circumstance!! Any thoughts??

I have filed grievances on all these items but will not be heard until next week, and my B/A is on vacation.

I would love to hear from some of you guys as to your experiences.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You are allowed to be on property anytime when you are acting in a union capacity.
As long as you are not interfering with any work that is being performed.

You get paid when you are filing grievances and for all time spent presenting them, as a driver i put my time under union time in the diad which is "w".

bigblu 2 you

You are allowed to be on property anytime when you are acting in a union capacity.

You get paid when you are filing grievances and for all time spent presenting them, as a driver i put my time under union time in the diad which is "w".
i think he said [filling out}grievances instead of filing.i would fill out,or write up,off the clock and premises,but as steward you can present,or file anytime,.

705red

Browncafe Steward
i think he said [filling out}grievances instead of filing.i would fill out,or write up,off the clock and premises,but as steward you can present,or file anytime,.
You should be allowed to file on the clock. If an employee is being disciplined absolutely you fill out that grievance right than and there. Never ever had a problem and its to late now for them to stop this practice.

grgrcr88

Hey 705red(or anyone else) I would really love to have some panel decision or specific contract language that shows that we are allowed to write up the grievances on the clock. As it stands now the district labor manager , 2 center managers and 5 supervisors are all telling me that it is against company policy and that I will be disciplined!!

grgrcr88

Also any of you have problems with not being able to use your cell phone to talk to members on the clock. Management even went so far as to request the phone records of a member to prove that he had called a steward on the clock. Attempting to fire the steward for falsifying records because he did not code that time as break!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hey 705red(or anyone else) I would really love to have some panel decision or specific contract language that shows that we are allowed to write up the grievances on the clock. As it stands now the district labor manager , 2 center managers and 5 supervisors are all telling me that it is against company policy and that I will be disciplined!!

Also any of you have problems with not being able to use your cell phone to talk to members on the clock. Management even went so far as to request the phone records of a member to prove that he had called a steward on the clock. Attempting to fire the steward for falsifying records because he did not code that time as break!!
Suggest caution.
Make sure language is in contract or have BA get it in writing.
Logically, it does not make sense that UPS would pay employees to discuss and put together a grievance against the company.

deathracer

im sure you thought of this too but i just have to say they are really out to
get you. i never had a problem with filling out a grievance during work/ on clock. i had my steward just come up to me and had me fill it out, supervisor saw us and did not say anything. as for requesting phone records if its not a company phone i would just ignore there request. i always see a steward not sure what he does but i never see him work, just always on the phone or talking to union members and seeing what problems they have.

iowa boy

grgrcr,

Look up article 4 again, and on page 13 in the book start with the paragraph that begins with the words "The Job steward...". This paragraph should give you the ammo needed to justify doing your work on the clock. The second sentance i believe gives you the direct answer you are looking for in regards to filing grievances on the clock. As for not using cell phones to talk to steward, you might want to question why its okay for the supervisors use their cell phones to communicate with the drivers but they cannot use their phones to communicate with you?

Hope this helps a little bit.

grgrcr88

grgrcr,

As for not using cell phones to talk to steward, you might want to question why its okay for the supervisors use their cell phones to communicate with the drivers but they cannot use their phones to communicate with you?

Hope this helps a little bit.

I did bring that up and they said their use was for company busines, mine for union.

grgrcr88

grgrcr,

Look up article 4 again, and on page 13 in the book start with the paragraph that begins with the words "The Job steward...". This paragraph should give you the ammo needed to justify doing your work on the clock.

I read that to them and they said that nowhere does that say filling out grievances. Appaerently processing grievances means something different to them!!

tieguy

Banned

you have to ask for that time to be allowed to do so. You can't just decide you're going to fill out ten grievances on company time while hot airs are sitting.

705red

Browncafe Steward
you have to ask for that time to be allowed to do so. You can't just decide you're going to fill out ten grievances on company time while hot airs are sitting.
If you are disciplining an employee that grievance will and shall be filed right then and there. Not later that day or the next day.

I will agree that you probably should not file 10 sup working grievances right in the middle of the operation.

705red

Browncafe Steward
First of, the company cannot tell you how to act as a steward. As an employee you work for them as a steward you represent the members and the contract.

Get in touch with your agent and if he is on vacation someone should be filling in for him, contact them.

A driver should not be calling the steward on UPS's time and the steward at that point is an employee of UPS. Save some of your break/lunch if you are expecting a call. That is not an unreasonable request from UPS. IMO

Overpaid Union Thug

This just sounds like another attempt at a center's management team trying to test/intimidate a steward and it's employees. With that said....I believe that the best way to solve any problem is to attack the source. The source(s) in this case is the saturday drivers. Someone should explain to them that working off the clock is incredibly stupid and that it opens the door to situations like this.