Stewards Rights??

jimstud

Banned
page 13 paragraph 3 states that stewards are allowed to ivestigate,present and process grievances on the company property as long as it does not interrupt the operation.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Yes I know about the processing grievance language, the company stance is filling out the form is not processing!!!

I did talk to the saturday air drivers when I was forced to leave that day, however I am so far unable to go back and make sure it is not happening anymore.

Grievance has been filed and our local hearings are tuesday, I will let you all know how it turns out!

Thanks for all your input!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yes I know about the processing grievance language, the company stance is filling out the form is not processing!!!

I did talk to the saturday air drivers when I was forced to leave that day, however I am so far unable to go back and make sure it is not happening anymore.

Grievance has been filed and our local hearings are tuesday, I will let you all know how it turns out!

Thanks for all your input!!
Put a hundred dollars extra in to your wallet for bond money just in case they cal the police and go back in. Its your right as a steward to be there as long as you are not slowing down the work. Now if drivers are working before start time, talk to them and keep them busy until start time.

UPS will bully you until they know that you are serious and not a tool of a steward.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here there is no steward on the preload or reload shifts so when something serious goes down the steward for the drivers gets called in. In the past our center has actually called the police and the police made the steward leave. Isn't that illegal? This happened way before my time and under different management.

M

Mike23

I'm not sure how it is in the states but I know the Alberta CA is thus:

Under article 5 : Stewards

5.2 a) By arrangement, grievances shall be processed during the normal working hours of the steward. A steward shall receive his regular rate of pay when grievances or pending grievances are processed with the employer or employer property, or at any other place which is mutually agreed upon by both the union and the employer.

b) If the employer representative is unable to meet the steward during the steward's normal working hours, the steward shall be paid for all the time spent during the processing of the grievance with the employer on employer properly, or at any other place which is agreed upon by both the union and the employer.

Now, as I recall the company policy is that if you're not on the clock you're off the property? I didn't read anything in the contract relating to this so it's UPS policy and nothing to do with union contract? I'm not trying to be a troll, just trying to find the loophole to allow the steward to be on property while not on duty. Unfortunately I couldn't find it in the Canadian contract.

Also, unfortunately, in that first sentence it states that the grievances are to processed during the normal working hours of the steward. Also it states unless it's mutually agreed upon, so to me that means that unless UPS says, 'ok, file a grievance...umm...NOW' you can't do it until both groups agree on the time to do it if you expect to get paid.

The ONLY thing I could think you could possibly do is stand off the property and wait for a driver to notice you (off the clock as you don't want him to get into trouble) and ask him questions then.

Or you could play detective and just sit and watch and just take notes. They can't touch you for being off property and 'watching'.

Now, at least in Canada, the trespassing law essentially is whoever is in charge of the property has the right to issue pretty much any stupid rule they want about trespassing. If they say you can only be on the property while standing on one foot, well, that's the way it goes. Unfortunately that means any sup can issue you a trespass warning and then physically remove you themselves if needs be. If you fight back then you get charged with assault. Although I doubt any UPS sup would have the guts to attempt to restrain someone then usher them off property without cops around.

As for UPS calling 911, I think the cops would be more pissed at UPS since it wasn't a life or death emergency. Call your sup an idiot and use the land line to contact police for something as petty as trespassing. Sorry, it's a touchy subject for me.

I know I'm still a newb but debating laws (which essentially what the contract is) is something I love doing. Hopefully all the vets won't slam me too hard :) Not to mention the Canadian contract is completely different and completely sucks compared to the American one.

22.34life

I have never seen or heard of a steward or employee being able to fill out grievances on the clock.if you are a steward and off the clock ups can ask you or anyone else off the clock to leave the building as far as i understand.As far as using the phone to talk to employees for union buisness i dont think you can do that either.but the best thing to do is contact your buisness agent and see what he says . just a footnote on the phone thing though i know in my building its a real hot topic now management does not want you on the phone period.management is also trying to stop everyone but drivers and management from bringing phones in the building this may be in some way related to your problem.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Anything that the company does to an employee with out a steward present is not going to stand up at a hearing.

As a steward, you do have the right to investigate if you have a reasonable suspicion that the contract is being violated. The company on the other hand has every reason to try to keep you from finding out that during the average week, there are 65 hours or more of delivery time logged by supervisors for example.

Without getting a lot more friction, I would approach your business agent for guidance instead of nameless faceless people on an internet site. Only he will be able to cover your butt should it get pinched.

Filling out the grievance on company time? No, presenting it to the company, yes. Talking to other members about issues, depends on the issue. If it will wait, let it wait, if not, take care of business.

But at no time shall union business interfere with the timely delivery of the packages.

d

bigblu 2 you

this garbage didn't go on in the past,i am a 28 year employee and i've watched this company evolve into something i am no longer proud of and the last few years our union seems to turn there heads.i for one will be voicing my concerns at a higher level in the near future and hopefully we will regain lost respect and strength within our brotherhood,it can't come soon enough.

Dustyroads

I don't think our center could operate without drivers using their cell phones. How many times have I received this message: "Call the center ASAP!!!!" Where I deliver, there is one, yes, one pay phone on the whole area. Pay phones are like dinosaurs, even homeless people have a cell phone.

In our center, we put 45 or so drivers on the street on a given day, and I imagine there are over 100 calls made each day between drivers and dispatch or between drivers and drivers, all pertaining to the day's work. Has the company offered to pick up some of the tab on my cell phone bill? Maybe they'd like to see my bill and see how many calls are made between the center and myself. Believe me, I do not initiate those calls just to see how the air conditioner is working in the center manager's office.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am a steward in local 795 and have recently come up against some very disturbing things to me! I would love some input from any other stewards or business agents on these issues!!

I am a full time driver which means I am not scheduled to work on Saturdays(obviosly) but we do not have a steward on the premises on saturdays. I decided to stop in one Saturday morning as I was in the neighborhood, and see how things were going. I get to the building and find 4 drivers out in the lot 10 minutes prior to start time moving package cars ariond. When I get to the sup on duty he calls a manager which tells me over the phone that I must leave immediately or they will call 911 to have me removed!! I went ahead and left and filed a grievance under article 4, which has not yet been heard. The company is now saying that stewards are only allowed in the building when they are scheduled to work. Any thoughts?

The next problem is that a center manager has told our stewards that accepting phone calls from members regarding union bussiness while on the clock is going to be grounds for discipline! Any thoughts?

I have also been told that we are under not allowed to fill out grievances on the clock under any circumstance!! Any thoughts??

I have filed grievances on all these items but will not be heard until next week, and my B/A is on vacation.

I would love to hear from some of you guys as to your experiences.

Here are the outcomes from our locals:

Stewards may come in anytime as long as they let someone know they are coming.

Any phone calls not during lunch or break should be coded as personal time.

Deadlocked the filling out of grievances on the clock.