Sticker on package

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Nate1102, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Nate1102

Nate1102 New Member

Everytime time I get a UPS there is an extra sticker with my name and address, a bunch of numbers and there is no barcode on it. Curiously what is this sticker for?

2. brown67

brown67 Active Member

It's a loading label. Barcode is scanned and a label is generated for sorting the package. Info on it is what belt it gets sorted too, truck it's loaded on, where its loaded on truck.

3. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

That sticker has all the information from the package. All your info, shipper info and contents. UPS then sells all that info to companies for consumer research. It also turns it over to the government. It's all in a database somewhere...

4. jaker

jaker trolling

And fedex just like leaving extra blank piece of paper for no reason

5. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

Brown67 is correct. We call it a PAL, stands for something like Preload Assist Label. It tells the inside people where to sort and load the package so it supposedly is easy for the delivery driver to find it on his route.

6. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

The key word being "supposedly" lol

7. scratch

Yeah, I threw that word in there on purpose, I make a lot of OT hunting for them!

In 29 years, I have never had a perfect load where every package is set up stop for stop.

8. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I did once I think. I was running a route blind and could just pull the next package off the shelf with no idea of the area I was delivering in.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Technically they scan the density barcode (bullseye), not the 1Z barcode.

10. Shryp

Shryp Member

I worked preload once or twice when they switched from the stickers to the ink stamp things in my building and those scanners could scan either. I got one with a barcode that wouldn't scan and the guy next to me said just scan the bullseye thing and I was shocked that worked. :)

11. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

don't they call the density code UPScode? I think I remember when UPS got the patent on that

12. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

13. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

The sticker is for suspected drug activity.

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

and you would know ..... how?

15. scratch

MaxiCode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maxicode is the square barcode made out of dots. I don't think it went over as well as originally planned. It was supposed to be about a hundred numbers that would record things like the shipper number, address, and customer invoices among other things. I don't think that my DIAD reads it, basically just the scanners in hubs use it.

16. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

I had my old route set up in EDD almost stop for stop. And when the preloader would load it as such it was magnificent. I could be off the clock at 4:30 with a full hour lunch.

17. I had one perfect load. It was on my three day OJS. My sup had 2 preloaders in my truck to make sure the load was perfect. Labor was thrilled to death when I had 2 signed Affidavits from my loaders telling him the same thing! It was great my Oc center manager and Dv crapped themselves!

18. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

It's a joke :censored2:pantz

19. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Diad5 has the reader to read the square QR style bar code but it won't be available until a future software push.

20. scratch

UPS got the patent on Maxicode something like 21 years ago, its about time we use it. I think the original idea was to give more info during tracking, for example it would show exactly which packages arrived in a multiple package delivery.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013