Still getting paid

vantexan

Bills that would end tax loopholes for moving jobs overseas, even when tax breaks for moving overseas jobs back home are included.
The tax loopholes concern companies moving their headquarters overseas. Moving factories overseas is about the cost of labor, the cost of regulations, and taxes.

bacha29

You can't stop them from going over there but there is finally some movement to take away the advantages of movement currently in U.S. law. As long as they can play countries as well as individual states off against one another it won't change. In this country the downward pressure on wages is such that many jobs pay so low that more and more of them go unfilled. Until the American worker speaks with one voice and say "why work for nothing when you can do nothing for nothing'?, then conditions will only get worse.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The tax loopholes concern companies moving their headquarters overseas. Moving factories overseas is about the cost of labor, the cost of regulations, and taxes.
With our tax system many companies pay very little if any at all.
So if your point is they move overseas because of the cost of labor, I'm not sure where you're going with that. We should all live like the abused workers in third world countries so these companies can keep making millions in profit?

vantexan

With our tax system many companies pay very little if any at all.
So if your point is they move overseas because of the cost of labor, I'm not sure where you're going with that. We should all live like the abused workers in third world countries so these companies can keep making millions in profit?
No, not at all. I'm saying companies weigh the cost of doing business overseas vs. here and some choose the right to work state because labor is cheaper than union areas and shipping is cheaper than from overseas, among other things. How many companies are choosing to move large operations to union areas because they don't mind paying the higher labor costs, not to mention the costlier benefits? The right to work states are striking a balance between what companies are willing to pay here and what they aren't willing to deal with overseas. But they do have to pay enough for people to live in our more expensive country, so saying we'll end up like Honduras sweatshop workers is over the top. Bottom line they don't owe us a great living, so if it's too late for us, better make sure our kids prepare themselves for jobs that pay better, that companies are willing to pay for.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No, not at all. I'm saying companies weigh the cost of doing business overseas vs. here and some choose the right to work state because labor is cheaper than union areas and shipping is cheaper than from overseas, among other things. How many companies are choosing to move large operations to union areas because they don't mind paying the higher labor costs, not to mention the costlier benefits? The right to work states are striking a balance between what companies are willing to pay here and what they aren't willing to deal with overseas. But they do have to pay enough for people to live in our more expensive country, so saying we'll end up like Honduras sweatshop workers is over the top. Bottom line they don't owe us a great living, so if it's too late for us, better make sure our kids prepare themselves for jobs that pay better, that companies are willing to pay for.
And what I'm saying is that struggle to pay as little as possible will never end. The balance you're talking about is always temporary. Their goal is to pay as little as possible, and RTW laws are a means to that end.

MAKAVELI

Read it again, they're getting the manufacturing jobs from other states that would otherwise go to other countries. And believe me as a southerner we welcome with open arms anything that'll provide steady work. There was a time when southerners moved north to work in factories due to little work back home.
Now you are starting to understand the plight of the migrant workers.

vantexan

And what I'm saying is that struggle to pay as little as possible will never end. The balance you're talking about is always temporary. Their goal is to pay as little as possible, and RTW laws are a means to that end.
And yet if they only pay minimum wage they'll lose workers to easier jobs. There is some competition for workers, and people are free to work elsewhere. There's a reason FedEx starts people where they do. They might try to avoid paying more, but they've got to pay more than most unskilled jobs considering the demands of the job.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
And yet if they only pay minimum wage they'll lose workers to easier jobs. There is some competition for workers, and people are free to work elsewhere. There's a reason FedEx starts people where they do. They might try to avoid paying more, but they've got to pay more than most unskilled jobs considering the demands of the job.
Are you suggesting fed ex pays more than most unskilled jobs?
You're crazy man.

vantexan

Are you suggesting fed ex pays more than most unskilled jobs?
You're crazy man.
I believe you used "unskilled" first. But to be specific, you don't have to be a "skilled" worker to be hired as a courier. I know what you're getting at, and as one who originally started in 1986 I believe I've got a skill set specific to the job. But we don't have degrees, college or tech school. We don't do apprenticeships. We're considered unskilled by the gov't.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
False, they're getting manufacturing jobs from other states. Corporations are playing state governments against each other. They pander to whichever locality will give them the most tax breaks and deferments and subsidies.

If there weren't such disparities between the governments and economic conditions of so many states, this wouldn't be an issue. The southeast has been doing a fine job in the last few years of attracting new business.

If you want to attract new business to your area, be attractive to new businesses. It isn't difficult.