still using helpers?

Mick32

We used helpers the past two days because we gave personals down to the IE planned number of routes and had the volume blow up a little bit. We couldn't actually work more drivers if we wanted to do so.

bigbrownhen

Yep, had a helper today. Part time guy who works the sort. He did a great job, as I wasn't expecting a "peak" day today. Yesterday was like a normal day, so silly me thought it was over for another year. What a rookie mistake, when will I ever learn......

Cementups

Box Monkey
Was by myself yesterday but when i walked inthis morning they told me to call my helper and see if he wanted to work. So he helped me for 3 hours today. Unfortunately he turned in his browns last week as directed, so when I picked him up at his house he had on jeans and a sweatshirt and a UPS hat. Good enough for me ;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yep, had a helper today. Part time guy who works the sort. He did a great job, as I wasn't expecting a "peak" day today. Yesterday was like a normal day, so silly me thought it was over for another year. What a rookie mistake, when will I ever learn......

....I have 20 years in and was surprised when I was assigned a helper yesterday as I also thought Peak was over so I guess we will never learn...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
here we have all drivers working that are not on vacation or r/o, and have all routes cut in, including splits.

told that if the volume does not drop, there will be helpers again next week.

happy new year. maybe the economy is begining to turn around?

d

Raw

Raw Member
I had a helper last 2 days. Funny thing here though is that the majority of the helpers have had enough and made their money and want to go on with their life, so many drivers who need helpers are going without one because the helpers aren`t answering their phones!! :happy-very:

BROWN430

I still am using a helper also. Had him 6 1/2 hours Wendsday. We were told we are going to he heavy as hell next week. I guess I'll have to give him another gift card. LMAO

BCFan

I used my Helper today. The Helpers we use here after Christmas are all Preloaders. They made them turn in their uniforms and then turned around and had to give them back out. Supposedly the Cover Drivers were to be laid off this week, but I see them everyday and split routes are still being put in. Once again, we were told "the volume numbers surprised us".

Scratch, as I understand it all routes are to be in and ALL cover drivers are to work as a condition of this contractual violation being shoved up our arse's . I still think it sux and I know for a fact the helpers are taking away OUR money by doing OUR work!!!! One thing to possibly check on / file on is, are the helpers that are working over 5 hours being paid at the overtime rate? Does the PT language transend to the helpers?
Everyone needs to realize that UPS would love to cut the number of highly paid/highly SKILLED package guys by cutting out routes and overloading the remaining routes to Driver/Helpers teams. I mean two drivers at the current rate of pay (plus bennies) are way more expensive than 1 driver with a $8.50 helper (no bennies) Look for UPS to attempt something like this in the future..... Hope our Union is up to the task of negotiating these under paid slaves the chance of earning wages above the poverty level....... But if not OBAMA will certainly be there to personally that care of them (yeah right) BCFan (not Boston College)

Go GA TECH lets get all those oranges !!!!!!!!

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Scratch, as I understand it all routes are to be in and ALL cover drivers are to work as a condition of this contractual violation being shoved up our arse's . I still think it sux and I know for a fact the helpers are taking away OUR money by doing OUR work!!!! One thing to possibly check on / file on is, are the helpers that are working over 5 hours being paid at the overtime rate? Does the PT language transend to the helpers?
Everyone needs to realize that UPS would love to cut the number of highly paid/highly SKILLED package guys by cutting out routes and overloading the remaining routes to Driver/Helpers teams. I mean two drivers at the current rate of pay (plus bennies) are way more expensive than 1 driver with a $8.50 helper (no bennies) Look for UPS to attempt something like this in the future..... Hope our Union is up to the task of negotiating these under paid slaves the chance of earning wages above the poverty level....... But if not OBAMA will certainly be there to personally that care of them (yeah right) BCFan (not Boston College)

Go GA TECH lets get all those oranges !!!!!!!!

BCFan, I couldn’t agree with you more every year the helpers are starting earlier and working later, its only a matter of time before UPS has driver/helper teams working all year long, I don't know about the rest of you but I would much rather work alone. In my center there are no helpers working, but there are casual working, also the center manager block the month of January for vacation, no drivers where allow to take a January vacation and another problem is there not promoting part timers to fulltime driver jobs, there as been 3 drivers fired in the last 3 months and not one part timer has been prompted to fill the vacancy.

The think with me is that im a part time air driver waiting to go full time. If I file they will remember me and make sure to make my life miserable. I dont have any problems with my center manager and i want to keep it that way.
Man up if you file they will respect you keep filing and and they will fear you keep filing next they will want to be your friend.

Man up if you file they will harass you keep filing and and they will harass you keep filing next they will want to terminate you.
Our own fear is our worst enemy.
Make sure you obey the written rules while working as directed, use the methods, and man up to "encouraging" management to also follow the rules. File on violations, including harassment don't back down if you are right.
Make sure you are right.
As far as them wanting to terminate you, it's too late, they already want that if you are a full pay scale employee.

bigbrownhen

I am guessing the higher volume is due to the weather delays(if any) out east, all the free shipping offers online and return/exchanges of gifts. It will taper off in a week or two to normal levels. It would be nice if it would stay up due to a better economy though. We have several drivers that were back to part time last year, I'd like to see them back to full time driving.

I can see your point as how UPS will utilitze the helpers since they are cheaper labor. We all know its just numbers to them. I do believe that all drivers available were working, and helpers were part-timers, not the layed off drivers back to part-time, no outside hires. At least in our center anyway.

There has been alot of speculation as to how low the volume will be after the holidays, routes being cut or eliminated, and major lay offs. Lets just hope things won't be that bad. I like my current route(don't want to get bumped) and want to see the drivers at the bottom of the seniority list driving again. Time will tell....

Man up if you file they will harass you keep filing and and they will harass you keep filing next they will want to terminate you.
Its my job to ENFORCE the contract its what I took this position for. I've already been terminated its called braking your cherry its scarey but you sometimes have to do things even though your scared or uneasy its called doing whats right. I have to have faith in my B.A. ,my labor board, and GOD if you were one of my guys upstate I would have your back. Filing is my right and its my job sometimes if things can't be worked out to file.