still using helpers?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Since 1997... Comical that you ask such a simple minded question. I take the job as steward obviously very different than you. My center doesn't have the issue you must have on a daily basis. Your going to work each day.. Job of the steward is to look for a solution and work together to avoid the BA to come and have to hear BS grievances... You must be like my alternate.. GUNGHO to file. From your post seems that your type before you think.. So must be the same... Inform the member to file and put it to paper before you act like a man and talk with the center manager or sups.

Whatever Golfcart man?
I think that's a clue.
We've got a golfcart helper back on the outside looking in, probably back in the preload.
No steward worth a grain of salt would be in favor of helpers outside of the peak season because he enjoys not getting out of the truck.
How many full time driver jobs would be eliminated if helpers were able to be used at the company's discretion year round?
Nothing simple minded in drawing the conclusion I did from the 3 posts of yours to date.
My advise was to file if there was no local agreement in place to continue using helpers after Christmas.
Short of that, there's nothing to talk about.
If you are indeed a steward, I bet management does loves you.
It won't be long till your alternate unseats you.

sgabler

What ia the best way to contact HR to tell them I want to work PT in presort? I have called and left a message the past 3 days, still no call back. Should I just walk into the warehouse and knock on the door to the HR office? Maybe I should get a hold of my sup? I dont even really know him or his number because as a driver helper we dont get to see them. Thanks, Good Luck UPSers!!

JaxUPSHub

What ia the best way to contact HR to tell them I want to work PT in presort? I have called and left a message the past 3 days, still no call back. Should I just walk into the warehouse and knock on the door to the HR office? I dont even really know him or his number because as a driver helper we dont get to see them.

This made me laugh!! Thx Gabler! xD

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I have to correct the post I made earlier. We get to use helplers and reg-temps thru Thursday and on Friday by permission only. Next week is a bust but we are supposed to be back to normal. I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

bsbmc

i'm a part-time air driver on saturdays and as well as driver helper and seasonal driver. i just completed my sixth seasonal period and i'm getting just totally fed up with the fact that UPS can do whatever they want to do and the union holds nothing at all. today i was pulled off the preload to deliver three early ams, well after that was complete i was told to meet a driver and take 15 ground stops off of him and deliver them out of the seasonal period then i was told to shuttle for a while.. well i just punched out after 10 hours of work and called my union steward to see about this delivering ground out of the seasonal period. well of course he didn't have a clue so he had to call our union rep. from louisville and basically what he told my union was a bunch of bullsh**. basically he said that ups asked the teamsters if they could extend the seasonal period two weeks into the new year because of all the added volume that we have been getting hit with.. so basically our union rolled over again and let the company do whatever they wanted to do. you can only sacrifice so much for a company that has no issues with never taking a fulltime driver again in my building atleast. they haven't taken one in a year and a half, but they sure can use and abuse us seasonal drivers and air drivers... its all bullsh**, i don't ever see them haven't to take a full time driver again beacuse with both seasonal periods and this vacation coverage driver and the union lettting them extend the seasonal period when ever they please it will never be any need for another full time driver again.. in the meantime i get used and abused and my familiy has to make sacrifices by me bouncing around working two jobs for next to nothing... UPS is a crappy company to work for especially in this day in age as a seasonal driver.... hope i didn't make anyone mad but i feel it is all the truth... i've read and been on this site prolly once a week for years and i haven't made to many posts but i was just compelled to make this one.... mad upsers out....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
hmm

we seem to have a one sided opinion as to what the contract says on using helpers.

12 people on vacation in the center
8 others have personals
1 sick
then there are 3 more that wanted the days off this week, and were told before christmas they could take the days off, instead of laying junior drivers off.

so that is 24 drivers that are off.

and more wanted to take off, but were not allowed.

so, if you wanted to play the contract game, the personals can be canceled, the three drivers that were told they could have off (two of which booked a cruise) will have to work, and we will still have to work helpers.

there were 29 helpers that were used today, and three on roads went with drivers as well.

it is survival mode here. more volume than we have ever had post christmas. ever.

personally, i hope it keeps kickingass. a good sign that the economy is rebounding to at least a certain extent. and not to shabby for the bottom line at ups.

d

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We used 31 Helpers for about 60 routes in my Center today. No drivers laid off and several bumped down out of Feeder. I will be glad when Peak Season is over........

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I've filed 37 grievances since Christmas.
All on supervisors, air drivers, and off street seasonal drivers doing full time ground work.
Company has an extention thru the end of next week on helpers provided they are inside part timers looking for extra work.
No off street helpers allowed.
I am with Danny in thinking that this hopefully a good sign for the company and the economy.
But this doesn't negate contractual obligations.
Fact of the matter, in my opinion, is that this is not a one time fluke.
This January volume spike has occurred for the last 3 or 4 years.
We just signed a new 5 year deal last December.
It should have been addressed then.
Teamsters have a bargaining chip in this issue and would be stupid not to use it.
So until such time as this ceases to be a violation, I will continue to file.
UPS will have to accept this as the price of doing a booming business.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
hmm

we seem to have a one sided opinion as to what the contract says on using helpers.

12 people on vacation in the center
8 others have personals
1 sick
then there are 3 more that wanted the days off this week, and were told before christmas they could take the days off, instead of laying junior drivers off.

so that is 24 drivers that are off.

and more wanted to take off, but were not allowed.

so, if you wanted to play the contract game, the personals can be canceled, the three drivers that were told they could have off (two of which booked a cruise) will have to work, and we will still have to work helpers.

there were 29 helpers that were used today, and three on roads went with drivers as well.

it is survival mode here. more volume than we have ever had post christmas. ever.

personally, i hope it keeps kickingass. a good sign that the economy is rebounding to at least a certain extent. and not to shabby for the bottom line at ups.

d

No offense, but do you have lunch at the center every day. Let it go man, let it go.:wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Did the union agree on using helpers after peak? We've been given two different answers here.
when did you ever get a difinitive answer from any union?

here they can after christmas.

brown monster

actually i dont. but when guys call in the morning for advice or just to blow steam.......

but the idea of peak after peak is interesting.

d

Whatever Golfcart man?
I think that's a clue.
We've got a golfcart helper back on the outside looking in, probably back in the preload.
No steward worth a grain of salt would be in favor of helpers outside of the peak season because he enjoys not getting out of the truck.
How many full time driver jobs would be eliminated if helpers were able to be used at the company's discretion year round?
Nothing simple minded in drawing the conclusion I did from the 3 posts of yours to date.
My advise was to file if there was no local agreement in place to continue using helpers after Christmas.
Short of that, there's nothing to talk about.
If you are indeed a steward, I bet management does loves you.
It won't be long till your alternate unseats you.

:smart: The funny thing is you don't work in my center. It is clear you have issues or are a complete lazy a>>! Don't care either way. You didn't suggest anything to my post except for me being dense. Now as for as local agreement. HELPERS ARE FINE. Just a fyi the people love me.... There are more folks from OUR PT ranks driving in our center now than during PEAK... Nobody laid off in my center. FILE FILE FILE was a question. You act like you are getting attacked everyday. This site is set up for folks to ask questions. Sorry you are so sensitive and felt like you needed to defend yourself. Learn to relax. What state are you working in. We don't have the issues you do. It was great talking with you. I felt like I was dealing with the part time sup in charge of my belt on the preload. Your posts made me laugh. :happy-very:

bsbmc

Re: still using helpers? DRIVERS AS WELL

i've drove four times the last two weeks delivering ground outside the seasonal period. i was told the seasonal period got extended two weeks into jan. so it just wasn't helpers in kentucky. they can do whatever they want to do the union and company that is. years ago that would have been a full time job for me but now know one wants to fight for ya anymore. its all bs in kentucky...