Still waiting to go driving (TCD)

brownmvp

I went to driving school Aug.18-22 of this year for TCD hoping this would get my foot in the door as a driver. I went thinking i would be one of the first trained being that ive been on preload for 6 years. and throughout these years ive seen guys w/ 1 yr seniority go to school and never see preload again.

The ORS called me back in sept and said im up next and since then he's been ducking and dodging me. Week after week he say's next week. I had a FT job that i now only work Sat.&Sun. Bc i made room to be trained. I still see a majority of cover drivers that i have years of seniority over.
I just seen a guy make book as a cover driver that has been here(preload) for a grand total of 9 months. He drives every other day if not everyday. He went to driving school before me maybe a month or two but shouldn't they cut back on using him and make room to train the guy who has 6 years seniority? Might just have to file a grievance but not sure where the language for this is found in the contract.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I went to driving school Aug.18-22 of this year for TCD hoping this would get my foot in the door as a driver. I went thinking i would be one of the first trained being that ive been on preload for 6 years. and throughout these years ive seen guys w/ 1 yr seniority go to school and never see preload again.

The ORS called me back in sept and said im up next and since then he's been ducking and dodging me. Week after week he say's next week. I had a FT job that i now only work Sat.&Sun. Bc i made room to be trained. I still see a majority of cover drivers that i have years of seniority over.
I just seen a guy make book as a cover driver that has been here(preload) for a grand total of 9 months. He drives every other day if not everyday. He went to driving school before me maybe a month or two but shouldn't they cut back on using him and make room to train the guy who has 6 years seniority? Might just have to file a grievance but not sure where the language for this is found in the contract.
If you have 6 years seniority ...and assuming you wanted the TCD position at the time, why did a guy with 9 months seniority go to driving school before you to begin with?

brownmvp

He signed a bid sheet a couple months before me bc at the time i had a FT job and i didnt want to go through the waiting game i knew UPS would try to play but i decided to suck it up and finally sign the next bid sheet that came out

barnyard

KTM rider
Pretty sure TCD stands for TEMPORARY cover driver. I am not sure that I would have quit a FT gig for temp driving. Might have been better waiting for a permanent FT gig.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I guess but i just thought seniority rules over everything considering we're both still classified PTers
If he already made book you have nothing to grieve. Once you qualify, you'll be higher on the list than he is though because you have more p/t seniority.

If you're in the southern region, keep in mind new language in the supplement states the company is supposed to give work to p/t TCDs before seasonal drivers, which they can start using October 15th. If they try to train a seasonal driver before you, I would file a grievance on that.

wayfair

swollen member
no, seniority at a different position starts when you start, if you're higher on list but join late... sorry , guy got in before you

no, seniority at a different position starts when you start, if you're higher on list but join late... sorry , guy got in before you
That sounds like classification seniority. My building does not use that. We carry our PT seniority with us no matter what PT job or sort we bid into. Same with FT seniority. Package car driver bids into Feeders he carries his seniority with him. Only time that changes is if we bid into another building. Then you will go to the bottom but keep seniority for number of vacations and retirement.

brownmvp

Quick update: Sup that was ducking and dodging me jus passed me along to another sup. This is the third one. All bc i keep inquiring when they will start training me.

wayfair

swollen member
That sounds like classification seniority. My building does not use that. We carry our PT seniority with us no matter what PT job or sort we bid into. Same with FT seniority. Package car driver bids into Feeders he carries his seniority with him. Only time that changes is if we bid into another building. Then you will go to the bottom but keep seniority for number of vacations and retirement.
So if a senior PC driver gets into feeders, he bumps all other less seniority under him?