Still waiting.

vantexan

Boy this gets under my skin. I just said in a post that people have to either work their way up the corporate ladder, get a skill that pays, or start their own company. I'm not interested in a "career" at this point, my dream is to live overseas but need to work a few more years to make it happen after leaving too soon. If you want to be Colonel Sanders fine, more power to you. I've been working a long time and have no desire to continue any longer than necessary. Anyone that works into their 70's to maintain a certain lifestyle is just killing themselves for nothing in my book but be my guest, if you're happy doing that more power to you. But I can look you square in the eye and say I've earned every penny and have nothing to hang my head about.

vantexan

Well Van, I think there are around 650 stations in the US. Engineers at most stations get paid to have us tell them how to switch around the DRA to the correct loops for them. Sounds like 650 to many jobs by my reckoning. I am sure there are many more jobs in this company except ours that could go away overnight and I guarantee we will be doing the same thing regardless everyday.
But do you believe, after the recent buyouts, that FedEx is still way over staffed? Most engineers handle multiple stations by the way. As close as FedEx plays to the bone is there really that much fat to cut that would give employees much better pay and benefits? With this constant drive to increase profits?

overflowed

But do you believe, after the recent buyouts, that FedEx is still way over staffed? Most engineers handle multiple stations by the way. As close as FedEx plays to the bone is there really that much fat to cut that would give employees much better pay and benefits? With this constant drive to increase profits?
I am aware some work at multiple stations, my point is what do they actually do in the grand scheme of things. I don't see them doing much. What I do see them doing is taking our suggestions and just imputing them. I am saying are they even needed anymore? No more blood to suck from us, but there are many other riper areas for them to look at. I'm just saying it's usually us when they go looking for money. UPS learned the lesson of ultra lean corporate model the hard way. They have abandoned that model after peak.

MAKAVELI

Yes

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well Van, I think there are around 650 stations in the US. Engineers at most stations get paid to have us tell them how to switch around the DRA to the correct loops for them. Sounds like 650 to many jobs by my reckoning. I am sure there are many more jobs in this company except ours that could go away overnight and I guarantee we will be doing the same thing regardless everyday.
Engineering at FedEx is a joke. Never venturing out into the actual fields they have their nose in a computer all day that produces a near worthless spreadsheet. All that stuff could easily be better arranged by the couriers themselves in work groups. If every engineer in the company took a week off at the same time, I'm willing to bet the effect would be pretty damn minimal. Cutting out the engineers would be one good way to trim over 40 million dollars worth of useless fat annually.

M I Indy

Son, I'll put the routes I've done and the numbers I've posted up against anything you've done. As for being old, I volunteered at age 46 to unload cans in hot and humid east Texas and did so for 4 years, including after putting in a stent to clear a 99% clogged artery. And at 12 I was picking weeds at a huge plant nursery for a dollar an hour, 35 hrs a week in the Florida sun. And have been humping ever since. You don't know what hard work is you jackass. I'm telling you the truth about the numbers, seems you're the one who can't handle it. Buy an effing clue.

First, I am not your Son, roughly same age as you. No one cares what you have done, I have done plenty too, just not going to slap myself on the back with an "Attaguy" on this site. I have reinvented myself a few times. How do you know I don't know what hard work is? Truth about numbers? I can handle alright, just know that they can be slanted by whoever is using them, guess you believe everything you read. You are the jackass who can't afford a clue.

M I Indy

Boy this gets under my skin. I just said in a post that people have to either work their way up the corporate ladder, get a skill that pays, or start their own company. I'm not interested in a "career" at this point, my dream is to live overseas but need to work a few more years to make it happen after leaving too soon. If you want to be Colonel Sanders fine, more power to you. I've been working a long time and have no desire to continue any longer than necessary. Anyone that works into their 70's to maintain a certain lifestyle is just killing themselves for nothing in my book but be my guest, if you're happy doing that more power to you. But I can look you square in the eye and say I've earned every penny and have nothing to hang my head about.

Second, I definitely ain't your Boy. Dream is to live overseas? Nothing wrong with dreams, in fact you should post your dream board on here. But, dreams don't come true without action, since we know you have settled and will take what you can get, good luck with that. Why not go get what you want? Morale of the Colonel was follow your passion and never give up, the man never made a nickel on chicken until he was already on Social Security. He never gave up and made his dream come true, instead of settling and taking what he could get. Work into my 70's? Not me, why, because I didn't settle and take what I could get, unlike you. As Mr. T (another who didn't make it until later in life, he didn't settle to be a bouncer) would say "Pity the fool." Keep your chin up, while you wait for your miracle.

"Don't give up....don't EVER give up" - Jimmy Valvano, a man with real courage.

vantexan

Second, I definitely ain't your Boy. Dream is to live overseas? Nothing wrong with dreams, in fact you should post your dream board on here. But, dreams don't come true without action, since we know you have settled and will take what you can get, good luck with that. Why not go get what you want? Morale of the Colonel was follow your passion and never give up, the man never made a nickel on chicken until he was already on Social Security. He never gave up and made his dream come true, instead of settling and taking what he could get. Work into my 70's? Not me, why, because I didn't settle and take what I could get, unlike you. As Mr. T (another who didn't make it until later in life, he didn't settle to be a bouncer) would say "Pity the fool." Keep your chin up, while you wait for your miracle.

"Don't give up....don't EVER give up" - Jimmy Valvano, a man with real courage.
I've already made my dream come true, boy, and am just waiting for the pension to kick in about 3 years from now. Did you not earn a pension or are you a Johnny Come Lately? If you had been on this site awhile then you'd know that I'm all for entrepreneurship, building your own business. Many here wish I'd keep my conservative mouth shut. But I also have diabetes that I'm having trouble controlling, high blood pressure, and a stent in an artery that was 99% clogged. That was a major reason I quit last year and am grateful that I was taken back. But I earned a pension with FedEx and will use it to move overseas. You can work as long as you want, more power to you, but if it's all about making a name for yourself and garnering wealth you can have it. There's nothing noble about working longer than you have to and if you have to because you're in serious debt well that's just sad.

M I Indy

Good for you, cracker, so glad that your dream was to settle. Earn a pension? I have earned a lifestyle. I don't work, I invest. With all your maladies you should chill out.... keep your mouth shut, and stop hurling your insensitive labels. I'll keep an eye out for you.....in my rear view mirror.

vantexan

Good for you, cracker, so glad that your dream was to settle. Earn a pension? I have earned a lifestyle. I don't work, I invest. With all your maladies you should chill out.... keep your mouth shut, and stop hurling your insensitive labels. I'll keep an eye out for you.....in my rear view mirror.
Just remember amigo, you started this. Why are you here then if you don't work? And what's wrong with work anyways? The problem with your type is that you see working men as people who "settle", who are just here to be fleeced by those who are more "capable." Hate to tell you this but many of us have other interests besides working to make you wealthy. Have the drive to create a business and provide employment for others? Fantastic and I hope you succeed. Expect those that work for you to just take what you dish out and be happy with their lot? I'll work hard for a rich guy, sacrificing to get ahead financially, but I'll never settle for taking his crumbs OR emulating him. More to life than that.