Stinky Uniforms

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I hate Tide with a passion...too expensive and perfumey....makes my skin itchy...I prefer Arm n Hammer...with Oxiclean
A girl saying it's too perfumey? I like Tide because it's not perfumey for me. I only get the original scent though. I throw in a Bounce unscented dryer sheet and call it a day. My wife likes to do the liquid fabric softener and other perfumey detergents. I only use liquid fabric softener first time I wash a new uniform.

Z

ZQXC

A girl saying it's too perfumey? I like Tide because it's not perfumey for me. I only get the original scent though. I throw in a Bounce unscented dryer sheet and call it a day. My wife likes to do the liquid fabric softener and other perfumey detergents. I only use liquid fabric softener first time I wash a new uniform.

I will wash a new uniform about 10 to 15 times before I ever wear it. Can't stand that cheap :censored2: material.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm sensitive to smells both good and bad...I can't stand when people wear too much perfume or cologne..depending on gender. Or who smell like they put on clothes and took a bath in Downy. Some is okay....but more isn't always better.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
20 Mule Borax?
111b42ffe821e11afb1b5c57a1231359.jpg

I just used that stuff to treat a horrible weed problem. I have/had a lawn problem with Glechoma hederacea aka ground ivy aka creeping charlie taking over my lawn. Most weed killers that don't kill your lawn are pretty ineffective against this stuff. Charlie just laughs.

Researchers at Iowa State University discovered the right mixture of warm water with 20 Mule Borax sprayed/sprinkled over the area will stop Charlie from laughing. It also kind of yellows your lawn for a while, but doesn't permanently hurt the grass (but the borax remains in the soil). The only thing is once I killed Charlie I found that I had a bunch of bare spots where the weeds had choked out the grass so had to re-seed and apply fertilizer.

This is what creeping charlie looks like:

creepingCharlie1.jpg

Help a brother out. What's the formula/ratio.

Got the same crap taking over my yard.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Help a brother out. What's the formula/ratio.

Got the same crap taking over my yard.
I found the instructions here:
http://tinyurl.com/prfwa67

Here is a quote of the applicable section:
The University of Iowa developed a formula for treating creeping Charlie using Borax (20 Mule Team Borax found with other laundry detergents in the grocery). Creeping Charlie is extremely sensitive to high levels of boron (found in Borax). While grass is relatively tolerant of boron, you should not repeat this application, or it may kill the grass. Here is the formula as it was released:

One time only!

2-5 teaspoons Borax / 1 quart warm water* / 25 square feet (an area 5’ X 5’ square)
*Because it is difficult to spread 1 quart of solution over that area, a gallon of water can be substituted, if you make sure you still spread that same amount of borax over the same area. This should be applied through a sprinkling can. It cannot be concentrated, since it will clog up most sprayers. Be sure to spread this solution over 25 square feet. Try it first with water to get a feel for how to spread it accurately. Allow the solution to dry on the foliage for 24 hours. Some areas of the United States have naturally higher levels of boron in the soil. In those areas, the lower dosage is needed. In our area, the higher dosage is being used. It causes a little yellowing of the grass, but seems to do no permanent damage. Be careful not to apply this formula to anything else. Perennials, shrubs and other plants may be sensitive too. Borax does not kill the creeping Charlie quickly, but you should see damage within a week or two. Over the next several weeks, more and more of the creeping Charlie will weaken and die. Many people are using this method of minimizing the creeping Charlie throughout the summer, finishing it off in fall with weed free zone. That way you use less 2,4-D.

You have to get the mixture just right. Too little and you don't kill it all. Too much and you trash your lawn...but it's the only thing that really works. The mixture listed above is 5 teaspoons per 1 quart for heavy infestation so 4 quarts in a gallon would be 20 teaspoons or just under 7 tablespoons, so what I did was take an old fashioned sprinkler can to give a nice even rain and mixed just under 7 tablespoons with a gallon of warm water, stirred well and then applied to a 20x20 area. I then repeated it over and over to all the areas that had Charlie.
The ideal time is October 1-October 15 when Creeping Charlie is storing it's nutrients for the winter and starting to hibernate so if you did it tomorrow you'd hit the window. You can buy it at Target (I had trouble finding some to buy).

oldngray

nowhere special
I had (and still have some) of that creeping charlie. Everything I used in the past killed the grass too so I will try that borax next.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've been buying the poor-man's tide. They make an "economical" tide for peeps who can't afford the regular priced stuff. It works really well on my running clothes that get gross. So far, hubby hasn't had real uniform issues, just them getting tears in them. Apparently there is a "uniform freeze" going on, so he can't even get new ones ?? People are going to be getting a glimpse of a surprise package before too long.....
He can file a grievance and get the uniforms he needs. It's in the contract that they have to provide them. The fiscal year runs Jan-December for budget purposes so the center likely is over budget for uniforms. They can have their arm twisted to get the needed uniforms.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I found the instructions here:
http://tinyurl.com/prfwa67

Here is a quote of the applicable section:

You have to get the mixture just right. Too little and you don't kill it all. Too much and you trash your lawn...but it's the only thing that really works. The mixture listed above is 5 teaspoons per 1 quart for heavy infestation so 4 quarts in a gallon would be 20 teaspoons or just under 7 tablespoons, so what I did was take an old fashioned sprinkler can to give a nice even rain and mixed just under 7 tablespoons with a gallon of warm water, stirred well and then applied to a 20x20 area. I then repeated it over and over to all the areas that had Charlie.
The ideal time is October 1-October 15 when Creeping Charlie is storing it's nutrients for the winter and starting to hibernate so if you did it tomorrow you'd hit the window. You can buy it at Target (I had trouble finding some to buy).

Awesome! Thanks for the info and link. I've known people to Round-Up the whole yard and start all over just to get rid of that crap!

Kaden

This was my first summer with the new uniforms and boy do they retain my stink of the day. After I sweat just a little bit the smell comes out, like a moldy bunched up towel. Pretty gross. Never had this problem with the old Riverside stuff. Anyone have a similar problem? Or tips on getting the smell out? I'm not sure if using very hot water will ruin the uniforms!
I just got my uniform today for the driver helper job. It turns out I got one size to small. I'm not entirely sure where I can exchange them for a better fitting pair. Would H.R. take care of it?

oldandcrabby

Son works inside for UPS and husband is a driver. So once a month with front load washer and on a well. Yes all the work clothes for both started picking up a musty smell that even oxiclean couldn't get out so I will once a month run all of sons work clothes from work with detergent and vinegar, baking soda. Same with husbands uniforms. Then run front load washer with hot water and bleach empty has fixed that problem. Hope this helps you guys out

Pooter

Old thread but oh well,

I don't sweat so my clothes usually never smell BUT in the summer months, when I forget clothes in the washer they get the mildew funk. At that point, a simple re-wash with vinegar/detergent does wonders.

Vinegar helps get rid of most smells.

Use apple cider vinegar if you are fancy :D