Stock down today???

air_upser

OK, oil went up, the dow went down, and I believe MIP was ditributed today so is that the reason the stock was down on pretty heavy volume today or was it something else. I can't find any news....anyone have any theories..is UPSgirl having Eskew's baby? Sorry, had to throw that in. Seriously, someone said TNT rumors were getting stonger and the weather and pilots aren't helping, but with the amount of online buying going on, I can't beleive the stock is collapsing again.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I heard it was the probability of millions of shares being dumped on the market by someone here.

But it will bounce back, just like it does with any other false rumor

d

ups79

take this as just a question: Is it time to do away with the A and B shares and make them all equal in voting rights? I believe a lot of instutions are not interested in us because of the lack of voting power. Maybe others than UPS long timers need to be brought in on the BOD.

traveler

Where next? Venice
ups79 said:
take this as just a question: Is it time to do away with the A and B shares and make them all equal in voting rights? I believe a lot of instutions are not interested in us because of the lack of voting power. Maybe others than UPS long timers need to be brought in on the BOD.

If this happens, I believe UPS will be a takeover target. :confused:1 Just remember the old saying, "The devil you know is better that the devil you don't know." :scared:

wkmac

Good point Traveler.

ups79,
Regarding A/B shares, I converted all my UPS shares to "B" shares not long after we were able to finally able too once to prohibited period ended. I had already accumulated some UPS shares on the open market playing the dips and tops and along with other investments it set me up nicely with a perk loaded Cap Account with a major banking institution. Part of me is right with you on your point but I get weak kneed when I think about Traveler's point. I'd rather keep the devil we know!:lol:

tieguy

Banned
Oil continues to be the biggest factor. i believe the supply has been holding up ok though I have not seen an inventory report in a couple of weeks. However i think the cold weather moving into the east has caused the price of oil to jump in anticipation of tightening supply which has in turn hammered transportation stocks.

Hope fdx reports what i think they will report. A significant slowing of their growth on dec 21st. At that point it will be interesting to see if the market things its an indication of a slowing market or UPS putting the squeeze on fdx.

brett636

tieguy said:
Oil continues to be the biggest factor. i believe the supply has been holding up ok though I have not seen an inventory report in a couple of weeks. However i think the cold weather moving into the east has caused the price of oil to jump in anticipation of tightening supply which has in turn hammered transportation stocks.

Hope fdx reports what i think they will report. A significant slowing of their growth on dec 21st. At that point it will be interesting to see if the market things its an indication of a slowing market or UPS putting the squeeze on fdx.

What makes you believe fredex will report slow growth? Just because of UPS's success? Their IC situation? Other factors?

I'm not a fedex shareholder, just curious really.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just a portion of the article.....

Deutsche Post Indicates Tough Time At Express Operations
Dow Jones

By Steve McGrath

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

LONDON -(Dow Jones)- Deutsche Post AG (DPW.XE) Wednesday indicated that its
express unit in the U.S. is facing tougher times, lowering guidance for 2005.

The German mail and logistics giant cut its outlook for its express
division, saying that instead of doubling this year it will rise about 35% to EUR500
million in 2005, up from around EUR370 million in 2004.

It blamed deterioration in the U.S. It has modified its guidance on losses
to be better than EUR400 million rather than around EUR300 million, implying
that losses may be up to EUR100 million greater.

The company has seen "a severe deterioration" in Express profit guidance,
which is about 30% below previous forecasts, said one trader who requested
anonymity. The market had been hoping for a seasonal rally in the fourth quarter,
he said.