Stock Price

M

moreluck

This is all I found, but don't know what it means.

"1:44PM 200 Day-Alert -- UPS extends range breakout, pushes toward resistance at its 200 day sma of 76.21 (UPS) 76.06 +1.09: -- Technical -- "

M

my2cents

The 200 day moving average calculation is at the 76.21 level. Once the price breaks above this level, it may be considered as a buy signal. The stock price has been trading in a sideaways channel since the earnings figures were released on January 27th. Oddly enough, the trading range of that session seemed to set the channel over these past two weeks or so of trading. Who knows what the reason for the buying is, although sometimes one institutional buyer steps in and buys a large block of shares and others see that and think something is up and it creates its own little feeding frenzy. Not saying that's what happening today, but it could be, given the fact that there is no real news to trade on today.

T

tuknick

I have also looked and can find no reason for this spike. My guess is the same as yours, just some big buyer decides to buy and the wall street sheep follow.

M

michael

Over 5M shares traded today. Much more than usual. I used to have a program showed how many shares traded and at what time they traded. If we had a program like that now it might shed a little light on why it went up today. Anyone know where we can get such a program?

W

wily_old_vet

Over 6 million today. Up more than 5% the last two days. I'm happy but it would be interesting to know who's doing the buying.

M

my2cents

Some of the buying could be triggered with resting stop orders above the trading channel, aka - program trading. My guess the buyers are probably the same ones who sold it when it dropped before.

<hr width=75% size=2>Buy sheep/Sell deer.

M

my2cents

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the company is active in the market buying and selling its own shares to try keep the stock price relatively stable, much like what the Federal Reserve does when it buys and sells dollars against world currencies.

U

upscorpis

I would think some of this upward ride is due to shorts covering their positions.

R

revenuerecovery

I think it is NevadaPaul. I remember reading some months back that UPS was ready to buy back $4 billion worth of stock. But it may also be the shorts covering, like upscorpis says.

R

retired

Found this on the web today.

UPS is also drumming up some attention among options players, as about 4,000 contracts have changed hands today on the out-of-the-money April 80 call. As this strike was previously home to more than 17,500 open positions, these could be either liquidations or additions. The SOIR for UPS hit an annual high of 1.30 in mid-January before plunging dramatically at January options expiration. In the subsequent weeks, this indicator has reversed higher and currently stands at 0.85, in the 82nd annual percentile. The equity's short-interest picture continues to reveal signs of pessimism. There are 19 million UPS shares sold short, the highest reading since January 2004. It would take the bears more than nine days of trading at the stock's average daily volume to cover all of these bets in the event of continued strength in the shares. This bullishly configured short-interest scenario, combined with strong long-term price action and average options activity has helped earn UPS a Schaeffer's Gold Score of 8.5 out of a possible 10.0.

(Message edited by retired on February 16, 2005)

W

wily_old_vet

That's the sad part. Regular investors like myself have no clue what all that means and our investments can be terrribly damaged by people playing "what if" games.

T

traveler

Just returned from Las Vegas. I was watching the action (UPS) but could find nothing in print as to the reason. Last night on the "red eye" back I read an interesting article in Barons where the boys at UPS convinced the writers that their cost cutting was on track and that the overseas profits looked good. Also, the first quarter P&amp;L would be a bit off due to a different way revenue is recognized and that would have a positive effect in the fourth quarter. The house mentioned (don't remember which one) had UPS at an "out perform" and a target of $90 at years end.

Best part of all this is that I am sitting on a total of 50 option contracts varying from $75 to $80 and from July 05 to Jan 06.

Call me

PS: I actually broke even in Vegas this week!

T

tuknick

Anybody out there looking at the stock price? We are down over 17% from a few months ago, what gives? this is killing me.

T

traveler

What else can I say?

I think I'll leave the country for a while and hope for the best!