stock price??

trickpony1

Back in the days when stock was privately held it split like rabbits, usually around $90 level. It's my understanding that since the company went public there may not be another split any time soon.

Brown Assassin

Underpaid for too long
Back in the days when stock was privately held it split like rabbits, usually around $90 level. It's my understanding that since the company went public there may not be another split any time soon.

Well it has been 7 years now since going public, so with the 100 yr anniversary approaching, I'd be curious to see if it would go that route.

traveler

Where next? Venice
When the stock was private (all of my career) it usually split before it hit $50.00. The low after a split was in the $10 to $15 range after each split. (If I were home right now I could look up the exact numbers) The stock was kept that low for at least one reason... you could not buy less than 100 shares at a time. I'm sure there were other reasons too.

Now that the stock is public there are different factors at work. Generally a $10 to $15 stock is not and indicator of a large, powerful (financially) company. Also, there are other perceptions of a stock at various price ranges.

My guess is that the stock will not split any time soon, unless, of course, FedEx splits first.

traveler

Where next? Venice
Okay, back home again and we don't leave for Beijing until Tuesday.

Splits:

1954 price $32.50 2 for 1 split to $16.25
5-8-64 price $55.00 5 for 1 split to $11.00
5-26-71 price $46.50 5 for 1 split to $9.30
9-2-82 price $34.00 4 for 1 split to $8.50
9-22-91 price $63.00 4 for 1 split to $15.75
11-99 price $51.00 2 for 1 split to $25.50 (I think this is correct but my records seem to be missing for this split)

trickpony1

Traveler-
....and everyone wonders why there were many multimillionaire managers who retired.
There were managers I knew during the periods you mention that were getting loans on their homes and collecting pop bottles.....anything to buy more stock.
I believe I saw a document that said there was a 10 for 1 split somewhere around 1978 to 1980 but I could be wrong.

I'm glad you took advantage of this streak of wicked splits as I/we probably won't see that ever again.

wkmac

This talk about the old days and being private raises an issue that I hear from many, many old timers who greatly long for those days again. If you use the historical private trends and overlay to the current public history, it's pretty clear to me that we'd all be much further ahead had we stayed private.

At the time we went public, sure, we all got an immediate windfall of profit but on those opening 2 days we saw a UPS stock price hit $77 per share only to see this collapse over the next few months to where we lagged in the $50's and low $60's cycling up and down within those ranges. It took a couple of cycles but I saw the trend and managed to increase my UPS holdings in B shares by buying and selling on the dips and the tops of the cycle. Was a fun and profittable ride while it lasted.

Now more and more I hear mostly regret that we went public. Our company focus contary to Mr. Eskew's insistence that he doesn't look at stock prices, is the stock price. Jim Casey thought and I still believe is correct that if you take care of, service the customer and do for the customer what you say you will that all the other things will come into place. Now when we have the sages of Glenlake put a bullet in their own foot with earnings conference calls and they go very badly, the response is not to follow the still true sage advice of Mr. Casey but rather to cut all corners at all cost in order to create a short term positive effect for the next conference call.

Sure, you may get a quick benefit but I see this kinda like the very obese person who is required to step up onto the scales and must weigh in at a certain weight to achieve some element of success. This person knows full good and well that under the current conditions that they will fail so in order to meet the demands of the situation they resort to cutting off both legs. Up on the scale they go and Tah-Da! Instant weight loss and success. OK now it's time to come off the scales and .....oh no, how to I drive myself home in my car? How do I walk from the parking lot to my office? How do I walk the plant floor for my job? How do I..... oh my God, what have I done? Sure you achieved the short term quick fix to make a number but what are the long term negatives that really shape the fact that you made that number a very costly thing indeed. What must you now spend in order to achieve the same goals you once did with ease when you had 2 legs? Good solutions that stand the test of time are rarely achieved on the quick fix.

This all said, I'm hearing more and more talk amongst the Ford Motor Company ranks that they will go back to being a private company. Whether this happens or not I can't say but in the case of UPS I do believe it is something that we should do in order to recapture our focus and get back to where we really need to be. The stock was said to give us a monetary tool in order to drive purchases and aquistions that would benefit our longterm strategic plans. Personally I've not seen this to be the case at all in any of the additions we've made to the company. None had been of the level that cash on hand couldn't have been the tool to achieve.

Until Glenlake realizes they are not market savy to play this game and just realize that we either do our thing like we should have always been doing and let the rest come to us or just flat get out, we will never succeed and I predict in the end we will die on the vine.

JMHO.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Hey over9five are you from ELI and retiring in 14 months? If not,we can use another inspiritational manager soon! Funny thing is the entire primary preload management team was forced to resign or were fired over the last month in our melville bldg for falsifying numbers. I bet this goes on all over the company at all levels. Maybe the big boys will take their heads out of the sand and see how UPS really operates.
yeah, i still blame the drivers :laugh:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Maybe this is why the stock is up....

bizjournals.com
UPS among best places to launch a career
Monday September 11, 2:06 pm ET

Shipping giant United Parcel Service Inc. made nearly 3,500 entry-level hires, with an average pay of $50,000 to $54,999, in 2005.
Defense contractor Raytheon hired more than 1,100 entry-level workers, starting them at $55,000.
And accounting firm Deloitte & Touche hired more than 3,350 entry-level folks last year, at an average salary of $50,000 to $54,999.
Make you want to switch jobs?
BusinessWeek has put together its first-ever ranking of the Best Places to Launch a Career, with Walt Disney Co. taking the top spot and several companies with Louisville operations making the cut.
To determine the ranking, BusinessWeek surveyed directors of undergraduate career services to find out which employers were creating a buzz on campus. Then those finalists were asked to complete a questionnaire about pay, benefits, retention and training programs, which BusinessWeek compared with other employers in the same industry.
Finally, BusinessWeek asked Universum Communications to supply data from its survey of more than 37,000 U.S. undergrads who were asked to name the organizations at the top of their list of the most desirable employers.
Coming in at No. 3 is Deloitte & Touche, which has an office in downtown Louisville and employs about 35 people locally. According to BusinessWeek, one out of four partners has at least 20 years with the firm. One-third of experienced hires are "boomerangs" who have left and returned.
Raytheon, which operates a plant at the Airport Industrial Center in South Louisville, ranked No. 7.
"Once you're in, you're in -- 43 percent of top executives have been with the company 20 years or more," BusinessWeek said.
Manufacturing and media titan General Electric Co., which bases its Consumer & Industrial division in Louisville and employs about 5,000 people at Appliance Park, ranked No. 8.
Another accounting firm, Ernst & Young LLP, came in at No. 12. The company has about 100 local employees.
Louisville's largest employer, United Parcel Service Inc., ranked No. 24 on the list. The Atlanta-based company employs more than 20,000 workers in Louisville through its Louisville-based UPS Airlines division and the Worldport international air hub, the company's largest package-handling facility.
"Part-timers at UPS receive comprehensive medical benefits just like full-time employees," BusinessWeek said.
Published September 11, 2006 by Business First</I>

traveler

Where next? Venice
I agree with everything you said here. Couldn't have said it better if I took all day to compose a statement.

This talk about the old days and being private raises an issue that I hear from many, many old timers who greatly long for those days again. If you use the historical private trends and overlay to the current public history, it's pretty clear to me that we'd all be much further ahead had we stayed private.

At the time we went public, sure, we all got an immediate windfall of profit but on those opening 2 days we saw a UPS stock price hit $77 per share only to see this collapse over the next few months to where we lagged in the $50's and low $60's cycling up and down within those ranges. It took a couple of cycles but I saw the trend and managed to increase my UPS holdings in B shares by buying and selling on the dips and the tops of the cycle. Was a fun and profittable ride while it lasted.

Now more and more I hear mostly regret that we went public. Our company focus contary to Mr. Eskew's insistence that he doesn't look at stock prices, is the stock price. Jim Casey thought and I still believe is correct that if you take care of, service the customer and do for the customer what you say you will that all the other things will come into place. Now when we have the sages of Glenlake put a bullet in their own foot with earnings conference calls and they go very badly, the response is not to follow the still true sage advice of Mr. Casey but rather to cut all corners at all cost in order to create a short term positive effect for the next conference call.

Sure, you may get a quick benefit but I see this kinda like the very obese person who is required to step up onto the scales and must weigh in at a certain weight to achieve some element of success. This person knows full good and well that under the current conditions that they will fail so in order to meet the demands of the situation they resort to cutting off both legs. Up on the scale they go and Tah-Da! Instant weight loss and success. OK now it's time to come off the scales and .....oh no, how to I drive myself home in my car? How do I walk from the parking lot to my office? How do I walk the plant floor for my job? How do I..... oh my God, what have I done? Sure you achieved the short term quick fix to make a number but what are the long term negatives that really shape the fact that you made that number a very costly thing indeed. What must you now spend in order to achieve the same goals you once did with ease when you had 2 legs? Good solutions that stand the test of time are rarely achieved on the quick fix.

This all said, I'm hearing more and more talk amongst the Ford Motor Company ranks that they will go back to being a private company. Whether this happens or not I can't say but in the case of UPS I do believe it is something that we should do in order to recapture our focus and get back to where we really need to be. The stock was said to give us a monetary tool in order to drive purchases and aquistions that would benefit our longterm strategic plans. Personally I've not seen this to be the case at all in any of the additions we've made to the company. None had been of the level that cash on hand couldn't have been the tool to achieve.

Until Glenlake realizes they are not market savy to play this game and just realize that we either do our thing like we should have always been doing and let the rest come to us or just flat get out, we will never succeed and I predict in the end we will die on the vine.

JMHO.

R

retired

Excellent earning report today, congratulations to all of you.

"Package delivery company United Parcel Service Inc. (NYSE:UPS - news) said on Thursday quarterly profit rose higher than market expectations, citing strong global demand for packages, and its shares rose in early trading.

UPS also said it expects "solid" fourth-quarter holiday sales resulting in more package business."

moreluck

golden ticket member
Seeking Alpha Feb. 7, 2007
United Parcel Service Delivers the Goods
By Nathan Slaughter
While United Parcel Service and FedEx both have attractive characteristics that should translate into above-average gains for shareholders, we think UPS has more to offer at this point. Not only is "brown" bigger, but in many cases it is also simply better. UPS is far more profitable, and its margins have consistently remained well above those at FedEx. In fact, the firm's margins and free cash flow generation are both at the top of the entire industry. That free cash flow has enabled UPS to maintain a rock-solid balance sheet, which has garnered a coveted AAA rating from leading credit agencies. Furthermore, UPS is simply more efficient, boasting much higher returns on equity [ROE], as well as solid returns on invested capital [ROIC] approaching 20%.

B

browsing

SeekingAlpha
Jim Cramer's Stop Trading! Stock Picks and Comments, Feb. 6
Wednesday February 7, 9:06 am ET

FedEx (NYSE: FDX - News) and UPS (NYSE: UPS - News):Cramer comments that this "best in show" stock is rather inexpensive and that it will profit from UPS' difficulties. He predicts that the stock will rise 30% from $114.

Jim Cramer's Stop Trading! Stock Picks and Comments, Feb. 6: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

sendagain

The stock gets upgraded, we get an increase in the dividend, and they announce further buybacks of stock: the stock moves up a hair.

moreluck

golden ticket member
sendagain....everything else I own was "red" today. Friday's are usually horrible for UPS. The fact that we were "green" at all is cause to celebrate today! :)

B

browsing

I kind of agree that kramer is a blowhard, but when he says something like that it moves the stock price. he keeps saying that we're poorly managed and that's why he doesn't like our stock. i have to agree with him there - every time scott ***** opens his mouth our stock drops.

Last edited by a moderator:

michael

Chicago area
The stock will move up and down for a multitude of reasons. Some of which can be controlled and some that can not. What continues to baffle me is why we have not learned how to speak to Wall Street. Either we are silent or we are saying the wrong thing. This is one thing we CAN control. One thing you have to respect about FedEx is that Fred always knew what to say and when to say it. He always seemed to be able to move the stock up when he spoke to Wall Street. Why can't we do the same? Do we need outside help?