STOCK

smf0605

i took my total earned and subtracted the "deductions" and came up with an amount. then i subtracted the taxes and came up with the same net pay. this shows that despp is pre-tax.

Mathematics,
I know you figured out that your stock purchase isn't pretax, but neither is your UWay donation. You have pretax flex (not even all your benefits costs are pretax) and pretax on your 401(k), but that is it for pretax deductions.

actually, at $75.85 per share, my gain is 14.33% since 6/30/2006. would you like me to give you projections that include dividend increases?

You only have potential gains...You don't have any gains until you sell...Here today, gone tomorrow.

evoruby3

Go for it. I'm part time also but I joined the stock program only
five years ago. Wished I'd had joined when I hired. The stock split
and I missed out. You can find more info at upsers.com.

satellitedriver

Hey Leddy,
Where's your source for that end of the world date? Just interesting to me, that's all.
The mayan calendar. A very accurate time piece carved in stone. Time stops on the calendar in December 2012.
Just my luck,
that is one week before I am eligble for retirement.
PAX

feederdude

Just when you think UPS is making decent moves in the news, the screw it up. Positive 3rd Qtr. results, then immediately following they announce that the 4th Qtr. is going to be the toughest in 4 years. What a terrific move to deflate the momentum they could have had.
I sold some shares yesterday because I didn't have faith in Corporate due to the fact that the stock hasn't moved in 7 years. The only thing they are concerned about is the dividend (which is not terrible) however, the ones that have the most to gain are division managers and above...they have options and big shares due to the $$$$$ they are pulling down. Well I was proven wrong at the opening of the trading day, when OUR stock was up big, then following the typical momentum block, they come out with the 4th Qtr. projections. Don't ya think they could have have waited for the positive news to sinl in, but NO, UPS can't allow anyone in the company to feel good about what they have accomplished.
In the end I'm glad I put some $$$$ on the sidelines. And this pains me to do this, I usually try to talk people out of shedding shares.
I through ranting, now I'll go count my pennies.
Feederdude

terrymac

Dave Ramsey would tell me to unload all the stock in ups, buy long term mutial funds with a track record of at least 5 years. I keep hearing him say this in my mind, as Ive heard him say that for years. Maybe Ill start out selling half of ups stock? I felt I had to write that down somewhere, no pen handy................

BigBrownSanta

Stock price today (Nov 11) is $70.71. The analysts are predicting a 12 month increase to $89. $18 in 12 months is a big jump. 26% to be exact.

Also, concerning the company's recent announcement to buy back $2 billion of company stock...

Are Stock Buybacks a Good Deal?

"Conclusion
Stock buybacks can be great for stockholders if done because that is the best use of cash and the price is right. However, watch out of financial slight of hand that seeks to cover up weak ratios or poorly managed employee stock option plans. "

Are they making a good decision or just covering up numbers?

Dfigtree

<<The analysts are predicting a 12 month increase to $89. $18 in 12 months is a big jump.>>

After the tech wreck of 2000-2003 you stil believe in analyst?

Maybe you did not mean the Analysts. Maybe you meant the Easter Bunny or perhaps the grand man himself, Santa.

Sell your stock and diversify. That is the best advice you are ever going to get.

A

an anonymous guest

Good advice Mr. Tree!

Its OK to love UPS and not love UPS stock. A stock is a stock.

Go UPS!
P71

BigBrownSanta

I am in no way saying the analysts are right. I was saying that for UPS stock to get to $89 is a pipedream. UPS stock hasn't made anywhere near 26% in any 12 month period.

brownrecluse

The 10% is not automatic and it's a 5% annual return if the share price stays constant. BTW, putting your money into an online bank such as INGDirect will get you 5% without any risk, it's FDIC insured and you can withdraw it at any time without special permission from UPS.

Also, the idea of investing in stock is capital appreciation and if the share price stays constant, there is no appreciation.

The best scenario would be for the share price to increase and the stock to split. That way you get more shares to earn dividends.

So far, UPS stock has done neither...
increase in value nor split.

It's a weak investment.

Help me out... I must be missing something here. The way I see it (which may in fact be incorrect), the 10% is automatic. Or put another way, you get an immediate 10% return on your investment - providing of course that the stock remains at or above the price that you purchased it at. Notwithstanding the 2 year hold period... if the stock price is $70, and you purchase it @ $63 (10% discount)... then you've just made $7... actually $7 is more than 10% of the purchase price... ING Direct is down to 4.20% now... Clark Howard has been ranting about this lately.

Anyway... no argument intended. I just want to make sure I am seeing this correctly...

UPS Lifer

Yurgreff really has it right - Max out 401 K first. Then invest into large cap - mid cap and International blue chip stocks for the long haul. If you chase the market you will be disappointed. Just leave your money in there for 20-30 years (if you have that much time left). As you get closer to retirement move more into bonds and continue to evaluate the distribution based on your risk tolerance. Rule of thumb - use your age as the % of other safer investments (such as bonds).

What do you think UPS (and other stocks) will be worth 20 years from now?

A UPS share of stock purchased in 1980 is worth over $1680 today!!!!
Splits - 4 X 3 X 2 = 24 times the present day value of a share. You may say that will never happen again. But that is what I said in 1980 about UPS Brown stock!

Question is.... What do you think your company will be worth in the future?

rod

Retired 22 years
Yurgreff really has it right - Max out 401 K first. Then invest into large cap - mid cap and International blue chip stocks for the long haul. If you chase the market you will be disappointed. Just leave your money in there for 20-30 years (if you have that much time left). As you get closer to retirement move more into bonds and continue to evaluate the distribution based on your risk tolerance. Rule of thumb - use your age as the % of other safer investments (such as bonds).

What do you think UPS (and other stocks) will be worth 20 years from now?

A UPS share of stock purchased in 1980 is worth over $1680 today!!!!
Splits - 4 X 3 X 2 = 24 times the present day value of a share. You may say that will never happen again. But that is what I said in 1980 about UPS Brown stock!

Question is.... What do you think your company will be worth in the future?
Not quite the whole picture:sad-little: As an hourly employee I wasn't "allowed" to buy stock until I believe 1996. Up until that time the ONLY people "allowed" to purchace stock was management. As an hourly employee I was "permitted" to invest a whole 6 bucks a week in the Thrift Plan. At that time the Thrift Plan piad on the average around 18-22% (until UPS put a cap on it and ruined that) Oh how we begged to be able to invest more and to be able to buy stock but that perk was for management only. Management was also given stock as bonuses for getting their centers to perform up to UPS expectations. A LOT of management became overnight millionaires when the company went public and the stock did split. I just recently sold my shares that I was "allowed" to finally purchase for 27 bucks for $74.68 - not bad but no where near the $1680 that is being quoted here. It would of been great though if we had really been a true part of the company.

B

BBSanta

Protrucker, you are right.

The online bank was just an example of what UPS returns on your investment.

What I was trying to say was, there are other avenues to take that have comparable returns, less risk, and quick access in an emergency.

UPS Lifer

... A LOT of management became overnight millionaires when the company went public and the stock did split. I just recently sold my shares that I was "allowed" to finally purchase for 27 bucks for $74.68 - not bad but no where near the $1680 that is being quoted here. It would of been great though if we had really been a true part of the company.

I think that it is important to note that there were a lot of drivers that have become millionaires also! These were the drivers that converted their holdings in the Thrift Plan into stock. Another important note, it took the stock 25 plus years to get to the point ($1680) that I mentioned. Even if 25 years from now the stock is worth $500 a share that would be significant. Is it possible? Why not?

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod, the stock you bought in 1996 was actually $13.50 a share with the split adjustment.
All I know is that it wasn't worth anywhere near the $1680 figure that was quoted here. Oh by the way $500 a share in 25 years? What is this guy smoking? I predict in 25 years UPS stock will be worth between 70 to 75 bucks.:happy2:

UPS Lifer

All I know is that it wasn't worth anywhere near the $1680 figure that was quoted here. Oh by the way $500 a share in 25 years? What is this guy smoking? I predict in 25 years UPS stock will be worth between 70 to 75 bucks.:happy2:

Rod,
In 1977, my father-in-law sold his house in CA for $75K. I told him to hang on to it and rent it out. He bought it for $24K and told me there was no way this house would ever get any higher. Well he is 83 now and has no money. Oh, that same house is worth about $900K now. If I would have told him that back in 1977 he would have had me committed!

Obviously, you have little faith that UPS will be worth much in 25 years...and that is OK. All I am saying is don't be surprised if history repeats itself. There are very few companies that make it over 100 years and I think that UPS is positioning itself strongly in the International arena.