Stop Completing Pickups

nystripe96

So on my route I have 5 pickups. 3 of them I call first to ask if they have anything. If they say no, I don't even bother going to the stop & hit stop complete. I work in a heavy commercial area & the traffic is a nightmare, so Orion wouldn't even be feasible. Never had a problem with management about this. What do you guys think?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It should be ok, until someone complains about you calling, instead of showing up. If they have given you the OK, then it should be fine. Or I should say it will be fine, until they need a reason to discipline you. Right now you are saving them time and money. But when they want to turn it around and use it on you, it would be the same as a flag stop. Procedure is to stop and check every pick up.

Orion is never feasible. You should make them eat Orion, if you think it wont work in your area.

oldngray

nowhere special
It should be OK and many drivers call their customers. Everything is OK until the customer calls and claims you missed their pickup then its all on you. To be safe you should drive to every stop.

ViewAskew

I have a smart pick up that cancels, and the customer calls and complains that i didn't come pick him up. Can not win with him. Tried getting him to switch back to no avail.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It should be OK and many drivers call their customers. Everything is OK until the customer calls and claims you missed their pickup then its all on you. To be safe you should drive to every stop.

I seriously doubt that "many" drivers call their pickup customers.

I have a smart pick up that cancels, and the customer calls and complains that i didn't come pick him up. Can not win with him. Tried getting him to switch back to no avail.

When our local Walmart Vision Center changed to a smart pickup the manager called to complain the first day that I didn't stop as she had an RS going out. The OMS asked me to go back and I told her that going back would defeat the purpose of the smart pickup.

I picked it up the next day.

To the OP---do not call your pickup customers. They pay up to $20/week to see your smiling face.

Overpaid Union Thug

So on my route I have 5 pickups. 3 of them I call first to ask if they have anything. If they say no, I don't even bother going to the stop & hit stop complete. I work in a heavy commercial area & the traffic is a nightmare, so Orion wouldn't even be feasible. Never had a problem with management about this. What do you guys think?
You are required to go to your pickups. Enough said.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Calling customers? UPS doesn't give us phones where I am?

Before smart pickups, we had many shippers on the "flag system". The customer would put up a sign or flag that would signal the driver to stop for the pickup.

Indecisi0n

So you call and they say "no we are good". You stop complete it 10 blocks away. Then little Betty upstairs sends out a NDA and leaves it at the pickup spot and you never show. They call and complain. They refund Betty her NDA fee after they see you stop completed it 10 blocks away. You get walked off the property for falsify records. You get union involved and all agree to a week suspension.

Was a weeks pay worth it? Use your head.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Calling customers? UPS doesn't give us phones where I am?

Before smart pickups, we had many shippers on the "flag system". The customer would put up a sign or flag that would signal the driver to stop for the pickup.

...and how many of us have been burned by a customer who put the flag out after we had already driven by their stop...?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
So you call and they say "no we are good". You stop complete it 10 blocks away. Then little Betty upstairs sends out a NDA and leaves it at the pickup spot and you never show. They call and complain. They refund Betty her NDA fee after they see you stop completed it 10 blocks away. You get walked off the property for falsify records. You get union involved and all agree to a week suspension.

Was a weeks pay worth it? Use your head.
this exact scenario has played out several times in my local

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

If your stop completing a stop when not at the address it comes up on a report......and is dishonesty......which is an offense you can be walked off for......I suggest going to the stop to complete it or not completing it at all

BrownTexas

If you are going to call, which I don't recommend, I wouldn't stop complete the pu if they don't have anything. This way you would just get written up for not following proper procedures, rather than getting terminated for dishonesty for falsifying records as you did not stop complete at the stop.