Stop Completing Pickups

JL 0513

When UPS aquired Coyote Logistics a few weeks ago, my center and I imagine most others, started coming back down on p/u compliance. The +/- 15 min window which stinks since ORION doesn't work with the 30 min window. So as usual, 2 conflicting operational procedures we are somehow supposed to work out as drivers. Physically being at p/u's in that window can explode miles on many routes. I often see Orion plan pickups 4 or 5 hours out of the window for remote p/u's. I'm getting tired of being placed into these impossible situations. We are set up to get in trouble. You do the "right" thing and you'll be 20 miles over and 2 hours over.

When I've been on road with a sup, we would be at a p/u early and the sup tells me don't stop complete now, complete it later in the window. Gotta love it.

moldsporh

It's ok until someone at your pickup has something going out that didn't get relayed to you via the phone call. Then they call in a missed pickup the next morning when the opening manager sees it and you get hit with falsifying documents because you opened up and stop completed a pickup with the address in the board miles away from where you actually were.

It only rolls down hill when someone pushes the snowball over the cliff. You will be at the bottom of the hill.

Also, mgmt likely knows this and if you ever need to file or just start ruffling their feathers, they have something against you.

Do you have a family?

Always CYA.

ManInBrown

I don't recommend calling customers. I don't do that. Paid by the hour. But if you do that. And they don't have anything, leave the pickup hanging in the board. Don't close it out. Falsification. You can get gigged for doing that.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I have a pickup that's kinda out of the way where I'll often call if I'm getting an air recovery to see if they have air before I go all the way out there first. Fortunately they're a smart pickup though and often don't have anything.

Dr.Brownz

So on my route I have 5 pickups. 3 of them I call first to ask if they have anything. If they say no, I don't even bother going to the stop & hit stop complete. I work in a heavy commercial area & the traffic is a nightmare, so Orion wouldn't even be feasible. Never had a problem with management about this. What do you guys think?

In my center (don't know how Orion and EDD will affect this because we don't have that) I would drive to the stops to get the miles so my planned day looks longer on paper. Unless you are on a route with a bad time study then call them

upsman68

My customers text me when they don't have anything. Also I have a customer who will call me if they need me to come later than the schedule pu time.