Stop thinking in crisis, start thinking in opportunities!

Salesguy

Sales Member
(1) bd 8-9 hour days (that i have seen firsthand), drivers doing 9-12 hours
(2) sales people are in it for sales, drivers are in it for servicing the sales
(3) the sales lead program is hardly profitable or recognizable for those bringing in the leads

Bottom line - this argument never accomplishes anything except makes people in bd seem as unrealistic and well, evil, as operations management. Allocate some time to hustling sales leads, or at least some significant incentive, otherwise you simply cannot hold anyone accountable for lack of motivation or go-getting

Evil yes, unrealistic no

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess this is where I agree to disagree, and you keep the tape rolling. It was my pleasure, talking AT you. Thanks ,not, for listening.:biting:

BTW, no further response to my post is necessary, though I know you find it hard to resist, as you, like all mgmt, are always right.

I guess MR. Exuberance just got stugged! LOL

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How about the SSI accounts you promised to customers and your fellow partners in Operations keep breaking the route it's on and the new driver can't make the commit. THE MANAGMENT OF THIS COMPANY HAS DONE MORE TO LOSE VOLUME THAN ANY AMOUNT OF SALES LEADS COULD EVER HOPE TO REPLACE.

A sales rep can be much more sucessful with driver leads than without. Drivers don't have to sell, just get the foot in the door for the sales rep. Might take a minute, maybe 5 minutes at the most. Let the sales rep do the selling. Am I hearing that drivers don't have 5 minutes in one week?

Salesguy

Sales Member
How about the SSI accounts you promised to customers and your fellow partners in Operations keep breaking the route it's on and the new driver can't make the commit. THE MANAGMENT OF THIS COMPANY HAS DONE MORE TO LOSE VOLUME THAN ANY AMOUNT OF SALES LEADS COULD EVER HOPE TO REPLACE.

You don't have SSI accounts on the planet I am from, but the public Q4 results 08 tell me that management didn't do such a bad job in times like these. Its normal new drivers don't make their commitments, it gets a problem when it becomes structural.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
A sales rep can be much more sucessful with driver leads than without. Drivers don't have to sell, just get the foot in the door for the sales rep. Might take a minute, maybe 5 minutes at the most. Let the sales rep do the selling. Am I hearing that drivers don't have 5 minutes in one week?

5 minutes in a week and 5 minutes at one sitting are two different things. I think, and this is just my opinion, as is everything else I stated, I think the sales force needs to get out of the office and go out on routes. Take a look at what's really going on from the drivers perspective. I think this would go a long way in drumming up sales, but what do I know, I'm just the guy out there delivering pkgs and getting scolded for not being fast enough.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When a sales guy rides with you it's amazing how suddenly your stop count is down 25. Too bad you couldn't get the same results when you ask for an 8 hour.

5 minutes in a week and 5 minutes at one sitting are two different things. I think, and this is just my opinion, as is everything else I stated, I think the sales force needs to get out of the office and go out on routes. Take a look at what's really going on from the drivers perspective. I think this would go a long way in drumming up sales, but what do I know, I'm just the guy out there delivering pkgs and getting scolded for not being fast enough.

I spend 5 minutes waiting for an end of day sometimes.

hudson

I think the sales force needs to get out of the office and go out on routes. Take a look at what's really going on from the drivers perspective. I think this would go a long way in drumming up sales.

I 100% agree with you!!! I do ride with drivers, not as much as I would like to. This is something I am trying to do more of this year.

P

pickup

Read my post above and stop trying to defend your position. GET OUT THERE AND DO YOUR JOB. We cannot go on hand feeding you anymore. It's time to leave the comfort of your little dream land and venture out into the real world.

Amen! brother. Descend from thine corporate ivory towers and come see how the real world works.

P

pickup

Thank you for sharing this great example/copy of misperception.
Your not just a driver, your a proud member of the UPS family who's protecting its belongings in good and in bad times. Don't underestimate the power of working together....

Come on people , let us work together to create synergetic solutions that astonish and delight our customers and terrify our competition.:smart:(i drank the kool-aide so can you.

tourists24

It's as I already said. I'm doing my job, so why don't you stop yer complaining and get out there to do yours. What else is there?

sound familiar?
And it comes full circle..... I am paid to deliver boxes.... you are paid to get the customers.....

tourists24

Your not just a driver, your a proud member of the UPS family who's protecting its belongings in good and in bad times. Don't underestimate the power of working together....
No.... I am a package delivery driver who delivers packages. It feeds MY family and protects its belongings. UPS gives no loyalty to me. I do the best job I can to give good service in a timely manner. I am not a salesman. That is your job.

pudg00

pudg00
My favorite is sup telling me I need sales leads. Next day walk into customer with soaking wet envelope because my floor leaks like I park in a lake. "Sorry about your paychecks, do you mind if a sales rep contacts you"

Last edited by a moderator:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I spend 5 minutes waiting for an end of day sometimes.
I would scan the pkgs and leave, as I can scan the end of day, the next day. I'm in too much of a hurry to wait that long.

I 100% agree with you!!! I do ride with drivers, not as much as I would like to. This is something I am trying to do more of this year.

Good, I guess we're making headway. Just a couple of more steps, and you may reach enlightenment.:wink2:

My favorite is sup telling me I need sales leads. Next day walk into customer with soaking wet envelope because my floor leaks like I park in a lake. "Sorry about your paychecks, do you mind if a sales rep contacts you"

This is a great point, pudg. I'm sorry that your pkg is crushed like an accordion, would you like to ship with us?

gandydancer

.... THE MANAGMENT OF THIS COMPANY HAS DONE MORE TO LOSE VOLUME THAN ANY AMOUNT OF SALES LEADS COULD EVER HOPE TO REPLACE.

My point exactly. If you see a pile of FedEx packages at your stop, it's not because they've never heard of UPS or don't think UPS could deliver them. They think FedEx offers better service, better price, or both. If management didn't do so many stupid self-serving things that cut into the bottom line (I gave three examples) we could offer better prices, which would result in more volume than any amount of obnoxious unwanted "introductions". Who wants to listen to sales calls? A company that adds unwanted sales harassment to the cost of using their services is giving me a reason to use someone else.

hudson

I think the sales force needs to get out of the office and go out on routes. Take a look at what's really going on from the drivers perspective. I think this would go a long way in drumming up sales.

Did u ever think that instead of riding with us and getting in our way. Did u ever think that going out on ur own and follow the fedex guy and see where he delivers. Write it down and then the following day go and stop in these places and talk to them about getting either business from them or getting more business? No u would rather have us do it for ya so ur lazy ass doesnt have to leave ur office. Ur the sales rep were the delivery guys. Do ur damn job and we will do ours.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Salesguy,

What I don't understand is how come we are not grabbing more express volume from FDX? Is it true about UPS has a stigma of being only efficient on ground but not the express sector?

We have the same spoke and hub system that FDX has and we can't seem to convince customers to use us for their priority NDA letters. Isn't it true the margins are greater for profit in this area and why not advertise that we are just as realiable (or better I feel) than our competitor.

It seems like BD is only interested in getting ground volume and forgetting there is a different decision maker for front office traffic. I think sales in this area is not getting enough attention.

B-box