Stop thinking in crisis, start thinking in opportunities!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Salesguy,

What I don't understand is how come we are not grabbing more express volume from FDX? Is it true about UPS has a stigma of being only efficient on ground but not the express sector?

We have the same spoke and hub system that FDX has and we can't seem to convince customers to use us for their priority NDA letters. Isn't it true the margins are greater for profit in this area and why not advertise that we are just as realiable (or better I feel) than our competitor.

It seems like BD is only interested in getting ground volume and forgetting there is a different decision maker for front office traffic. I think sales in this area is not getting enough attention.

B-box

I've spoken to people that don't even know we ship pkgs next day. How about an advertising blitz?

UPSNewbie

Salesguy,

What I don't understand is how come we are not grabbing more express volume from FDX? Is it true about UPS has a stigma of being only efficient on ground but not the express sector?

We have the same spoke and hub system that FDX has and we can't seem to convince customers to use us for their priority NDA letters. Isn't it true the margins are greater for profit in this area and why not advertise that we are just as realiable (or better I feel) than our competitor.

It seems like BD is only interested in getting ground volume and forgetting there is a different decision maker for front office traffic. I think sales in this area is not getting enough attention.

B-box

It's because of FDX that people aren't really knowing that UPS ships next day. Everyone refers to anything next day-ed as "FedExing it."

They definitely won with the advertisement on that one.

The whiteboard guy just says "you can get your package here in a certain time frame, and have this package go somewhere else a day later, all by shipping at the same time."

Nothing about NDA...

hudson

Did u ever think that instead of riding with us and getting in our way. Did u ever think that going out on ur own and follow the fedex guy and see where he delivers. Write it down and then the following day go and stop in these places and talk to them about getting either business from them .

Please do not tell me how to do my job...you have no idea what you are talking about. Why would I care where FedEx delivers.....I care where FedEx is making pick ups.

Please do not tell me how to do my job...you have no idea what you are talking about. Why would I care where FedEx delivers.....I care where FedEx is making pick ups.
Then don't ask us to do a major part of your job. The FedEx drivers that do the pick ups are driving the same trucks as the ones that deliver.

hudson

Then don't ask us to do a major part of your job. The FedEx drivers that do the pick ups are driving the same trucks as the ones that deliver.

This is not a major part of my job. Again, I don't care that the FedEx drivers that make the pick up are driving the same trucks as the ones that deliver. I only care about where the FedEx drivers are making picks ups.

airbusfxr

Dude you should ask Grade 20's to make sales instead of golfing. How long have you been employeed at UPS? I made a couple of sales lead and they were NOT FOLLOWED UP in a timely manner FDX got the contract. UPS does not advertise and FDX does, UPS blew the DHL deal and now we split the money with FDX. The Grade 20s that blew that 10 billon is who you need to talk to. Our drivers are selling everyday for you, they are the heart of this company, you should ask someone that does not provide for our customers like a grade 20.

tourists24

I 100% agree with you!!! I do ride with drivers, not as much as I would like to. This is something I am trying to do more of this year.
Make sure you are hopping on those routes that have drivers that are coming in at 9pm or later that night. Maybe if you work more hours, you can pick up more volume.

hudson

Dude you should ask Grade 20's to make sales instead of golfing. How long have you been employeed at UPS? I made a couple of sales lead and they were NOT FOLLOWED UP in a timely manner FDX got the contract. UPS does not advertise and FDX does, UPS blew the DHL deal and now we split the money with FDX. The Grade 20s that blew that 10 billon is who you need to talk to. Our drivers are selling everyday for you, they are the heart of this company, you should ask someone that does not provide for our customers like a grade 20.

The grad 20's are not in front of the customers like the drivers are.
I just started my 10th year.
UPS does advertise.
The DHL deal is still in negotiations.
As well as being the heart of the company, the drivers are the eyes and the ears as well. This is why the drivers are the best people to talk to about sales leads.

pudg00

pudg00
I would like to say it took alot of guts to start this thread Salesguy. You must have known you would take serious heat. I hope you are taking this all to heart. As drivers we have to deal with all of these issues everyday and still deliver pkgs and exceptional customer service and still get quized on our 5 and 10 other safety questions, Hazmat and so on. If I don't get a chance to turn in a sales lead I am sure you understand. I would suggest riding with us as much as possibe to get a feel for the job.

over9five

Staff member
I'm all in favor of turning in sales leads when it's appropriate (ie, NOT when it's part of a numbers game).

I just hate the double standard. All our career, we're stupid "unskilled, uneducated truck drivers".

BUT, when they need a sales lead, we're suddenly the "eyes and ears" or "heart and soul" of the company.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would like to say it took alot of guts to start this thread Salesguy. You must have known you would take serious heat. I hope you are taking this all to heart.

And, although it's not in Saleguys ability to do anything about it, having 140 Sales Leads turned in and 3 developing into Sold Leads does not help people's attitudes.
The company is pushing getting sales leads and then the Sales force and their support staff are being reduced...not a promising equation.

Last edited:

Salesguy

Sales Member
I'm all in favor of turning in sales leads when it's appropriate (ie, NOT when it's part of a numbers game).

I just hate the double standard. All our career, we're stupid "unskilled, uneducated truck drivers".

BUT, when they need a sales lead, we're suddenly the "eyes and ears" or "heart and soul" of the company.

Agreed, when it's appropriate.

You are so right, more than you realize.
The problem that we need to ask our existing lead contributors for even more leads, no matter what quality, is because of the unfortunate fact that not enough people joined in to help UPS gaining more volume.

It makes me sad to read that it seems that there are not more UPS people around you willing to step up and help. As a result we come back to you asking for more, because your sup gets asked to support UPS
as well.

In UPS you should never lower (y)our historic UPS standards,
no matter what anyone tells you. You are just too good for that.

Don't underestimate the power we have if we would positively aproache UPS'ers who bully you. You know you are not uneducated or insufficient.
He/ she must be saying this to hide their own incapabilities. Don't lower yourself to take behaviour like this personal. The person who is doing this to you needs more help than you. The company will figure that out itself, maybe not today, but it will all come good in the end.

When they ask again, ask in return an overall center report to see the overall participation and demand immidiate overall improvement
from your sup. Thanks for your support in growing the business!

Salesguy

Sales Member
I would like to say it took alot of guts to start this thread Salesguy. You must have known you would take serious heat. I hope you are taking this all to heart. As drivers we have to deal with all of these issues everyday and still deliver pkgs and exceptional customer service and still get quized on our 5 and 10 other safety questions, Hazmat and so on. If I don't get a chance to turn in a sales lead I am sure you understand. I would suggest riding with us as much as possibe to get a feel for the job.

No guts no glory!

I do not underestimate the job you have, you do a great job day in day out. I join a driver every year come in the center every week,
but not one driver visit me, not even 1 a year, although I like you so much!!!

why not join me a day and see what you need to give up to become succesfull if you are not working in ops. Although all the perception you have I think you will be very surprised, feel sorry and see that if you have the skills could grow to this as well. If you enter leads, you make the transistion go smoother:peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

This is not a major part of my job. Again, I don't care that the FedEx drivers that make the pick up are driving the same trucks as the ones that deliver. I only care about where the FedEx drivers are making picks ups.

I'm insulted at the way you speak to us. You came to the Brown Café, and you're gonna start demanding that we do things your way? How dare you come into our playground and start spewing about what we should and should not be doing. It's no wonder that you suck at sales. Aren't you supposed to get to know someone a little bit, before you start cramming your CRAP down their throats?

You guys came on this website and didn't even try to get to know us. You don't even know anything about delivering a route, yet you claim to know that we have time to get all of your leads? How about doing what was said above, and following a FedEx truck. Go to that company and find out who shipped their products. If you're hurting so bad, that you have to come to a place where we relax, just to get rebuffed, wouldn't it make more sense to just get out there and get to know some customers?

You guys are lucky we're not in a bar, I might not be so nice to you, face to face.

Salesguy

Sales Member
Salesguy,

B-box

Ha ha good one!

tourists24

Hudson, I think YOU are the one who should be doing the listening. You may just learn something. StevetheUPSguy is one of the most positive upbeat members of the BC (ask anyone who knows him). You wont find a more positive UPS driver. To see him get this kind of attitude makes me wonder about who its aimed at.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How dare you come into our playground and start spewing about what we should and should not be doing.

You guys came on this website and didn't even try to get to know us.

Steve,
The job of management, of which the Sales Force is part of, is to get results.
Understanding, while desirable, is not necessary. Just get results.
I guess over the years, I got use to this approach and accept it as normal...and it does seem to work.
Now, I do agree with you that BC is not really the place to come in here and have the sales pitch crammed down your throats.
However, you have the option of not responding to posters whose behavior you do not appreciate or approve. The longer you keep responding to them, the longer they stay around.
JMHO

Salesguy

Sales Member
Hudson, I think YOU are the one who should be doing the listening. You may just learn something. StevetheUPSguy is one of the most positive upbeat members of the BC (ask anyone who knows him). You wont find a more positive UPS driver. To see him get this kind of attitude makes me wonder about who its aimed at.

By readingStevetheUPSguy comments I learned he has a real sence of humor and I would love to work for him. To serve as a true dependable and loyal UPSer to him to support him in reaching his targets.

Why?

Because I have the opportunity to do so.
Don't ask what the company can do for you, ask what you can do for your company.