stops per car

crazygill

OPEN QUESTION: what is every one going out with every day (stops per car) we have gone from 118 to 125 to 131 to 145 in 8 months next we here 150

brownrodster

stops per car is completely meaningless out of context.

I did a route last week with about 100 stops per day. Couple weeks ago I did a different route with 175 stops. And the other route I did recently had about 130 stops per day. But this really means nothing...

island1fox

RE : Stops Per Car --Total Del and p/u ----obviously differ by type of route. In general --High Mileage rural routes --more windshield time --less delivery time ----in NYC --where many routes are one building 0r part of a building [EX: Empire State}--very little mileage --less windshield time --more del time --higher Stop per car.
Although there has been much complaining about new technologies --overall route reconstruction has drastically reduced miles nation wide . Less miles =less windshield time = more stops per car = less cars on the road = less drivers,cars,gasoline, =less expense. SURVIVAL FOR UPS IN TODAYS WORLD !!

Tiny Panda

Tell me something

Those of you who do 150+ per day, how do you do it?? Here in the UK the average is 70-80dels as a maximum with the city centre routes maybe doing 100-120 when real busy.

I know for starters we arent allowed to leave anything without a sig unless authorised so with residentials you have to try neighbours etc so one stop can take up to 5 mins. Even on my route which is split roughly 30% Town, 30% industry and 40% residentials i struggle with anything more than 85 dels and 50 dels by lunch is doing good.
Do you literally do one business after another or dozens of shops next to each other? I can go on to one industrial estate and do maybe 10 of the 30 companies there or 6-7 of the 50 shops on the main shopping street on my route.

I know we are starting to take a lot more of the home delivery volume now from other companies as i can now do 3 or 4 resi's on the same street whereas 4 or 5 years ago it would only be one air package

I'm guessing with it only really being UPS & Fed-Ex over there its easier, here we have close to 15 domestic carriers who do the majority of the UK-UK volume

Hangingon

We had the Division Manager give us a rah rah speech today.
Let's see, went something like 'since pieces are down and stops take less time everyone can expect more stops on their car to make up the missing revenue. If you don't like it people in Michigan will be happy to take your job. As an additional note, we expect a fair days work for a fair days pay, so OA's will no longer be allowed'.
Really got us fired up.

BTW My stop count is normally 185, which takes me 9.5 to finish, but if I wanted an 8 hour planned on paper it's about 230 stops. 40% business, the rest resi.

Billy

Our center has gone up on every route too. All you can do is go out and work safely. If you make it in 9.5 great. If you don't, then shame on them for over dispatching you, and not sending a safe driver help.

No such person

Southern Ct.
It all depends. Monday I did an all business route, 85 delivery stops, 240 pieces, 25 pickup stops, 310 pieces, 9 hours. Today I did a tight residential route. 205 delivery stops, 9 hours.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
OPEN QUESTION: what is every one going out with every day (stops per car) we have gone from 118 to 125 to 131 to 145 in 8 months next we here 150

I think what Gill meant was how many stops per car is the center target number. Ours continually goes up as well. As an individual it is all over the map. I had 139 stops 400 pieces plus 38 pickups Fri for a 1225 dispatch and yesterday 78 stops 225 pieces 46 pickups for a 910 dispatch Mon. The preload supe will probably fired for Mondays gift.

porkwagon

We had the Division Manager give us a rah rah speech today.
Let's see, went something like 'since pieces are down and stops take less time everyone can expect more stops on their car to make up the missing revenue. If you don't like it people in Michigan will be happy to take your job. As an additional note, we expect a fair days work for a fair days pay, so OA's will no longer be allowed'.
Really got us fired up.

BTW My stop count is normally 185, which takes me 9.5 to finish, but if I wanted an 8 hour planned on paper it's about 230 stops. 40% business, the rest resi.

What is an "OA" that is no longer allowed? I've been a upser for 22 years and somehow missed what that is. Thanks

porkwagon

Of course oa is over allowed. I knew that.
A typical day for me is 185-210 stops a mix of resi,commercial and abunch of apts. Not much picked up. About 50 miles with about 100 dr stops. This is a 9.5 - 10 hour dispatch in west chester.(Philly suburb).

Cementups

Box Monkey
When i bid my route 6 years ago the max was 90 stops. Today I did 134. Granted the route has changed and I do less business and more residential now, but DAMN!!!!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Tell me something

Those of you who do 150+ per day, how do you do it??

I know for starters we arent allowed to leave anything without a sig unless authorised so with residentials you have to try neighbours etc so one stop can take up to 5 mins.

Your answer is in your post. Drop and run, for resi's, can't do the numbers we do if we had to stop and get sigs (sig req excluded).

cino321

l --High Mileage rural routes --more windshield time --less delivery time ----in NYC --where many routes are one building 0r part of a building [EX: Empire State}--very little mileage --less windshield time --more del time --higher Stop per car.

Actually we don't go out heavy stop wise because we cannot release in a significant amount of our areas; I was pretty shocked at how heavy some people go out when I first joined the browncafe.

My normal day: 12 miles; 120 stops; 10 pick ups =11 hrs

S

speeddemon

Everyones minimum has gone up. Half of us working over 9.5 everyday. I have been with UPS for 20 years and have never filed a grievance but that will change Friday. I really dont want to, but the are over dispatching me so bad, I dont get to see my family at all during the week. My route has gone from 95 stops, 110 miles to 118 stops and 145 miles. I am truly concerned about my coworkers safety. My managers have no say so in anything that happens in our center. Its all micro-managed.My center used to have a very high moral, but it has went into the tank ever since PAS has arrived. It baffles me that a company like ours has so many idiots calling the shots. We are all running the same amount of routes, but with more miles. I could go on forever about the stupidity but I have a 10 hour day waiting on me at the center............

Biofallout

just a simple driver
lol ya we at our center got the same prob and can u guess what the bosses got to say about this. u need to move faster. i say work safe and they cant do notting we have telematics so if they want to know how my day was i tell them go look at the gps or brown up and come on car with me lol notting yet. they just like to cry thats there job they got notting else to do. really they dont do anything. so crying is there main job :P