Stops per car.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's Strange. I just had a delivery on Wed. where my NDA and ground were both given differnt PAL numbers. GND got FL1, all the air got 10--. Same stop, delivery point and person signing for the pkgs?

Yes, they are PALed differently, but if you look in EDD you will see that they are one stop. Your EDD will show something like 3+75 meaning you have 3 premium packages and 75 ground.

Dont have too much faith in the customer. I am pretty sure that what some of the regulars do is purposely order 1 air, with a group packages, so that they are given an earlier delivery.

This is just my theory. I could be totally wrong.

Indecisi0n

So instead you have wasted time driving back to a stop(s) that you have already been to.

Yes because there isn't such a thing as late ground. If i get late NDA they can't blame me for delivering gnd+air together. If i have late air its because i was over dispatched and i put on the blame on them. Now don't get me wrong if my air is light and i have plenty of time then i will deliver both together but if its a close call then its air only. It's all about CYA these days.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If i have time to get everything i do,but if i know i have business stops waiting i'm not going to waste time looking for additional ground pkgs in a neighborhood i'll be returning to later

Last edited:

Walk the line

Yes, they are PALed differently, but if you look in EDD you will see that they are one stop. Your EDD will show something like 3+75 meaning you have 3 premium packages and 75 ground.

So one could delivery the NDA first then return for the GND, as long as it was in the best interest of the Company. Say like making service for other premium pkgs. sounds like a day to day decision for the driver to make. UPS already eliminated the digging through for air by seperating it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So one could delivery the NDA first then return for the GND, as long as it was in the best interest of the Company. Say like making service for other premium pkgs. sounds like a day to day decision for the driver to make. UPS already eliminated the digging through for air by seperating it.

It is a decision based upon the number of NDA stops. Most days I can run trace, delivering both air and ground, but there are days when I have to break trace to get the air off on time. You don't want late air.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I have had several supervisors who have said that the next day air and the ground for the same address are different stops. The NDA has its commit time and the lesser service levels have later commit times. Now which is going to add to your dispatch, delivering everything at the same time or retracing miles and an extra stop? If you want the most out of your day then take the extra work when it is there.
I agree there are exceptions to this rule and I treat them the same as most others. Generally, if there is a large bulk stop that there are next day deliveries for, then I deliver it all at the same time. I usually don't have the time to separate the air from the ground. BUT you could..........
It is not so much about the extra stops it is about the extra time and miles that you are paid for. UPS allows us to treat the next day air as its own stop.....because it is the premium. You are not padding stops or miles when you deliver the ground on your usual trace.
Just work the parameters set by UPS to your advantage. AIR and ground are separate stops.
EVEN savers have a different commit time. Think about that one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NDA, saver and ground all going to the same address are ONE stop.

Anything else is padding stops.

On those days when I have to break trace to run off the air and I have to go back to an address it is a duplicate stop.

Why in the world would I want to go to Walmart, deliver just the NDA, go back before 3 to deliver the savers and then back before they close to deliver the ground??

Your supervisors are giving you poor advice.

UPSGUY72

NDA, saver and ground all going to the same address are ONE stop.

Anything else is padding stops.

On those days when I have to break trace to run off the air and I have to go back to an address it is a duplicate stop.

Why in the world would I want to go to Walmart, deliver just the NDA, go back before 3 to deliver the savers and then back before they close to deliver the ground??

Your supervisors are giving you poor advice.

I never go back to a stop twice unless I have a pickup later in the day. Everything comes off (ground and Air at the same time). In order to accomplish this you have to look at your EDD and have a plan before you leave the building.

CAFAL

Company policy states that a driver is allowed to take credit for an extra stop if it is a committed nda. If tou have to go back with groung packages later you can. You can't just do it to do it. That would be padding stops. Take for instance a mall route,where you could have 20 nda stops by 10:30. You will have to go back for ground

CAFAL

You have to make the best decision on how to run your trace. If you have 10money air stops after walmart,then you can take credit for an extra stop if you go have to go back. Not supervisors making rule,that is company policy

CAFAL

Starting 30 mins later allows time for an extra load every day, thus advancing quicker transit times for the customers. Sounds like service to me