Stops per car *&*&*&*@*@$*@&*@#*@

Indecisi0n

Oh the joys of the contract being purposefully vague. The contract says a fair days work for a fair days wage. No numbers. No protection. Endless arguments about what is fair. When I first started it was about 100 stops 20 pick ups. 8.75-9.5 day. Now as if by magic, it's 130 stops 20 pickups...9.5 day.

If it gets done nothing will change. If you call for help for a straight week i am sure the stops will come down. When will people learn.

HULKAMANIA

So far this year, we have had 3 drivers pass out from exhaustion in our center. TWO required 911, an ambulance and fire rescue.

In each case, the driver phones in to center, the center tells them to sit for 5 minutes, then continue. The driver says that he does not believe he can continue and is dizzy, the center responds with "keep moving and drink water, well send you help in the pm".... a short time later, a customer is calling 911 for a downed driver.

Yeah, tell me UPS cares.

The next morning, in our PCM, the :censored2:bag center manager tells us how "the driver failed to eat a proper dinner, then breakfast" before he came to work.

Seriously?

How about its freakin 105 degrees out here, and in the truck its 118 degrees and the driver is blown out from bulkhead door to rear door with a 12 hour day ahead of him?

The company is so set on packing as much on the trucks as possible, and for the most part, we take as long as its going to take and stay comfortable.

You want to put 12 hours worth of work on my truck in 100 degree weather? OK, not a problem. Ill drink my 4 bottles of water each hour and cruise to 100K again.

Peace

TOS

The exact same thing happened to me. I called in and was told to keep going! To me all this does is prove that their BS "safety" talks are for nothing but covering their rear ends in the event that something terrible does happen so that they can point the finger and the blame at someone else. Why doesnt the people at this company respect the drivers out there doing the work? I just dont get it, why all the animosity towards drivers? Is it jealousy? All I ever hear from sups is "HOW MUCH DO YOU GUYS MAKE A YEAR" for ONCE I wish I didnt have to hear that when I have a legit concern about my well being and my safety. NO MONEY ON EARTH IS WORTH HAVING A HEAT STROKE OVER PERIOD! You are told to keep going, and once you are to that point it doesnt matter what you do, you have to STOP. A 5 minute break is not going to be sufficient enough for your body to compensate everything it has lost, I know this from experience. Once you are to this point a few drinks of water isnt going to work either. You need to be out of the heat, relaxing and slowly drinking water.

leastbest

LeastBest
The way I used it was a judicious use of the 8-hour request. Once a week (3 times a month) I would look at the weather and ask (in writing) for an 8-hour request. They'd give me a hard time but then again they always gave me a hard time but they couldn't deny me. Few others asked for them. Many mornings I would get a phone call offering me the day off instead but I'd say no and go to work. Nothing better on a really hot day going home at 5pm.

Best part in Ohio you only have to give them 24 hour notice.

The contract has tools to make your life easier at UPS. 9.5 grievances, 8-hour requests, etc. Use them. I made it to retirement. You can too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Spc is a way to control under 8s if u want spc to go away vote for no 8 hr garuntee in 2013

Eliminate the 8 hour guarantee??

How can that be true though if all we have to do is code over to 05 and get hours worked?

We are not allowed to use Code 5 without permission.

Our BA was in the building last week and he told me that one of the contract proposals being worked on is having the company contribute to our pensions for all hours worked.

beentheredonethat

Our BA was in the building last week and he told me that one of the contract proposals being worked on is having the company contribute to our pensions for all hours worked.

Did you ask the BA if you would get extra credit on your pension?

The amount UPS has paid in to the pension fund on behalf of our people is more then enough for them to have a good pension. Please, don't just take my word for it. For those of you with financial advisers. Go to him\her, show them what UPS has contributed over the years on behalf of your pension and then ask them what you should be receiving from the teamster pension plan. I'm willing to bet they will all give a number much higher then what you are getting. The teamster pension plan has shown they at best mismanage your money, at worst steal from you.

Before people start jumping in on companies have half the trustees. While that is true, UPS in most Pension plans has but one vote. Also, for many years, UPS didn't have any representation.

I get why you drivers don't want the high work load. However, if the company stopped the spc metric, what guarantees would the company get that cost would stay the same or be reduced?
I hear a lot of drivers saying it would. Would you back that up in writing on the contract? For example, everyone says that reducing pd day will decrease cost. If we reduce paid day as the teamsters and the drivers want and it doesn't reduce cost like they say it will. What give back or concession would you offer? I doubt that would be passed. I can hear it now. That's their problem, they still are making a boatload of money etc etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The thought process behind the proposal was that perhaps they would back off on the excessive dispatches if they knew they had to contribute to our pensions for all of those hours.

You are right about our pensions being more than adequately funded by the company. I recently "hired" a financial planner and he was blown away at what has been contributed on my behalf and what my estimated pension will be. To be fair, mine is a multi-employer plan which got hammered in 2009, but we would be hard pressed to fault the company on this one.

tjpickett

I've got proof that management plays with their numbers. In 2004 we had a center wide time study, a guy sat next to me, counted steps, pkgs, miles etc...
came back that my average day then was an 8.5, that I was doing in an avg of 6. Thank you bonus. Now bonus is gone, Thank you Teamsters for caving, and my route goes out with 20 more stops and 10 more miles....and they say its an 8 hour day. They are using Google to do time studies and NO account is taken on stairs, walk paths, having to use hand trucks. Also I've found that you get the same allowance per stop as the guy on the route next to you...even if you have to scan 50 packages to his 1, they aren't giving allowances for packages, just stops.

beentheredonethat

I've got proof that management plays with their numbers. In 2004 we had a center wide time study, a guy sat next to me, counted steps, pkgs, miles etc...
came back that my average day then was an 8.5, that I was doing in an avg of 6. Thank you bonus. Now bonus is gone, Thank you Teamsters for caving, and my route goes out with 20 more stops and 10 more miles....and they say its an 8 hour day. They are using Google to do time studies and NO account is taken on stairs, walk paths, having to use hand trucks. Also I've found that you get the same allowance per stop as the guy on the route next to you...even if you have to scan 50 packages to his 1, they aren't giving allowances for packages, just stops.

That's not true, there are allowances for stops, a difference allowance for DR stops. The allowance for stops is based on the defined area you are in. Many drivers may be in 3-5 defined areas on their route. Each defined area having a different allowance. There is also a per piece allowance. (both the piece and stop allowance is also true for pickups). Now.. let's take everybody's favorite of Surepost. Now we load the surepost pkgs for the DDU into a bag and the driver scans the one or two bags and delivers it to the USPS. By putting the work on the preload, the driver now only has to handle 1 or 2 (or more) bags vs the dozens of individual packages. The allowance for that stop is now the 1 or 2 "piece" allowance for the bags along with the stop delivery allowance.

As to in 2004 we had a time study and it came to X and now 6-8 years later another time study comes and I lost a bunch of time. Well, that's why we do studies more often. Things do change over time. I'm sure between then and now was when the allowance per package was reduced. Not sure when, but they reanalyzed the time for the per pkg allowance. The old measurement took into account manually handwriting in the delivery record. The new time study takes into account just scanning the bar code. Also, I have very rarely seen anyone have a time study that shows they are 2.5 hours paid under unless they either had a very poor time study done, the driver was a hazard to himself\herself or others (running, speeding). I've also seen the driver do what was told but they were told to cheat by the center. For example, go do a pickup of hundreds of smalls loaded on the dock. There is a seperate allowance when you are picking up multiple smalls. There's a whole litany or reasons of how it can happen. But a driver having an 8.5 hr day and finishing in 6 means something is wrong. It really can't be done without an error made somewhere. That sounds like the USPS, not UPS.

Indecisi0n

I have a solution. Who gives a ****. If they give you 20 more stops then you stay out until its complete. If its after 8 then you call for help EVERYDAY. Why waste your time complaining when nothing is going to change.

CAFAL

I can definitely tell you for a fact that i get credit for packages. I can see the difference between which days with different dispatches. I'm sure not scratch when my pcs are 200 or less. When im 250 plus i'm scratch every time

BrownArmy

Calling in saying you're getting beat by the heat is like calling in a haz-mat leaker...

"But, can't you keep going?"

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Re: Stops per car *&*&*&*@*@$*@&*@#*@

I hate SPC. Until a couple of years ago( we went on PAS in 2007 and Telematics in 2011) the routes were tight,and if you got a split it made sense.......fast forward to 2012,and ALL that matters is SPC. I drive 10 more miles a day ,and pass at least 2 drivers delivering the same area just to satisfy this stupid metric. i'll often go 5 miles each way to deliver 2 stops and wave to the other driver getting the rest of the neighborhood. Our dispatcher can raise the MAX at will,and as a result the time allowances are ****e. My 'Target' stop count in 2012 was a 9.5 day in 2009.
Also, a few years ago the preload supe, the Center dispatcher,On -road supes and myself shared a common goal: a good load, a good day,and get back and off the clock ASAP................Now the preload sup only cares about getting the preload the hell off the clock by 815. Get the packages in the truck in any order, however the preloader can ( dosent really matter id it's the RIGHT truck just get it loaded) ALL the Center Dispatcher cares about is cutting routes and maintaining as high a SPC metric as he can. Drivers go to him all the time with suggestions or pleas for a more sensible dispatch and it falls on deaf ears.
The On Car supes only care about SPORH and having drivers in their groups running scratch. Want to complain about the dispatch to them?well just try and see how far that gets you.
As a result i worry only about providing the best service I can,while working safe and by the methods. If they want to pay me an hour and a half OT every day I'll take it. I am on the 9.5 list and file regularly when i am over worked. I realize the ONLY way people in my group get a decent day now is to use the 2 Eight Hour requests we get each month,as there is no way in hades I'm working off the clock,giving awy my lunch or not working by the Methods. It sux working so many more hours than I have in the summer in years past but I do manage to cry all the way to the bank