storage facilities

some1else

Banned
we have a few that want us to go to the lockers as mentioned above, most of the drivers just do it. i asked management for a release stating that they would take responsibility for any lost/stolen/damages/injuries related to doing this and they refused; so i sheet refused :)

i dont want to loose ups business, but im not getting into "i had a shoebox with 45 diamonds in it and the ups guy was the only one that had a key!" argument with someone

UPS Lifer

There are no official rules with these areas. Half the ones in CT will take the packages at the office. A quarter will make you deliver all packages to their unit. The other quarter will only make you deliver if its a bulk stop.

This is something your sups could work with, but they will always fall to what each managing company wants to do.

We do same as you are except we never ever DR. We always get a sig at front office and unfortunately take pkgs to each unit unlock and relock. The sig is key for liability protection. I've never had a claim on one but it's a judgement call. If they don't wanna sign, which is extremely rare, we leave a note at the office and try again until we get them delivered or held at the center. Some offices will take small del. right at the desk as well.

I will not accept a key or go alone to any garage or storage area. If something comes up missing I dont need the blame.

This is all good info but I believe the key to this type of delivery is real simple. This is a business! This is not a residential delivery. **KEY POINT**

Use this approach and use common sense. You want to keep a good relationship with the front office so if you get a bulk stop, have the office sign and put it in the unit. Don't deviate from getting the office to sign for the package. I always tried to get the driver to train the customer. Build the relationship and get them to help you out as much as possible.

Soberups is establishing an expectation as long as you don't deviate you set the tone for the delivery. You can do this without being rude and disrespectful.

MC4YU2 has also set up an expectation of a delivery signature and is right on the liability issue.

For HEFFERMAN - I reiterate the official rule is "signature required" - this is a business. If they require a delivery to the unit they should sign and open the unit for you to place inside. Stay away from opening the unit yourself...too many liability issues.

Do you unlock and open apartment doors and leave the packages inside?
I don't think so! LOL!

UPS Lifer

we have a few that want us to go to the lockers as mentioned above, most of the drivers just do it. i asked management for a release stating that they would take responsibility for any lost/stolen/damages/injuries related to doing this and they refused; so i sheet refused :)

i dont want to loose ups business, but im not getting into "i had a shoebox with 45 diamonds in it and the ups guy was the only one that had a key!" argument with someone

You make a good point! As a retired manager I would caution you on refusing the package. Set the expectation - Tell the office that you need a signature and you will make three delivery attempts. Bring the package back to the clerk if necessary and have the clerk place a call (kind of like a "dog in yard" delivery) to the receiver. This way you and UPS can show service is being given. The clerk could gently urge the customer to inform the office that they need to sign for the packages or we will have to send the package(s) back. These tactics should change the behavior of the office to your favor.

pudg00

pudg00
Good points Lifer. On my route I del. to a few garages. The customer provides UPS with a code and it is in the DIAD. Should I refuse to del. to that garage because of liability issues? If it is a real problem just have sup. put not in DIAD that it is ok to del. to unit or sig. req. or any other notes as necessary.

UPS Lifer

Good points Lifer. On my route I del. to a few garages. The customer provides UPS with a code and it is in the DIAD. Should I refuse to del. to that garage because of liability issues? If it is a real problem just have sup. put not in DIAD that it is ok to del. to unit or sig. req. or any other notes as necessary.

I am going to assume that the garages are either attached or unattached to a residential home or apt etc. ... in that case follow proper DR methods for your area.

pudg00

pudg00
Exactly, All I was saying is in our area DR to the storage unit is the standard practice. I would say you have the same chance of having a problem of not getting a sig. at a storage unit as you could at any DR stop.

bigbrownhen

It seems the best way to cover your back side is to explain to sups what the situation is and let them decide what their policy will be. Put it in their lap and work as directed. I am one to go the extra mile for customers, but you have to be realistic about who will be on the hot seat if something goes wrong.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This is all good info but I believe the key to this type of delivery is real simple. This is a business! This is not a residential delivery. **KEY POINT**

Use this approach and use common sense. You want to keep a good relationship with the front office so if you get a bulk stop, have the office sign and put it in the unit. Don't deviate from getting the office to sign for the package. I always tried to get the driver to train the customer. Build the relationship and get them to help you out as much as possible.

Soberups is establishing an expectation as long as you don't deviate you set the tone for the delivery. You can do this without being rude and disrespectful.

MC4YU2 has also set up an expectation of a delivery signature and is right on the liability issue.

For HEFFERMAN - I reiterate the official rule is "signature required" - this is a business. If they require a delivery to the unit they should sign and open the unit for you to place inside. Stay away from opening the unit yourself...too many liability issues.

Do you unlock and open apartment doors and leave the packages inside?
I don't think so! LOL!
Well..........................depends on who it's for. LOL:wink2:

kingOFchester

but you have to be realistic about who will be on the hot seat if something goes wrong.

Come on now...nothing ever goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong, goes wrong,:happy2:

some1else

Banned
You make a good point! As a retired manager I would caution you on refusing the package. .
im not willy nilly refusing packages.

i go to the office and tell them i have a package for their facility
they say go to the units
i say i wont enter the units
they say they wont sign
--refused
BUT
NI1,2,3 might be a better if only to get my stop count up a bit...

sealbasher

Does anyone else have these places to deal with?What is the official rules for delivering to them?The one I have,has about 3000 units.You go to the front desk ,get the key,they open the gate and you drive in.They all have locks,and you dr to a big square box.I dont like it.What if they give the key to another courier later that day and he steals something?The locks are cheap and I wonder if I can be blamed for not securing them.It seems weird that they are businesses and unless the front desk signs,a sig is not required....any thoughts ?

thats what the excess is for.

UPS Lifer

im not willy nilly refusing packages.

i go to the office and tell them i have a package for their facility
they say go to the units
i say i wont enter the units
they say they wont sign
--refused
BUT
NI1,2,3 might be a better if only to get my stop count up a bit...

I see your point. I guess you have to wonder about a customer who has a package sent to the storage unit without making some sort of arrangement with the storage facility. They really lose control of their own delivery at that point. But - the person refusing to sign for the package is ultimately not the customer of the unit. If the customer of the unit files a complaint (concern) it is hard to justify service. If you treat the package like a "dog in yard" and have the clerk make an attempt to call NOBODY can say you didn't do everything to provide service.

over9five

Staff member
I think I would have RTSd- Refused the package too.

The manager of the storage depot is essentially the receivers agent. If he won't sign, in my book that counts as refused.

UPS Lifer

I am just putting myself in the customer's shoes. Not all customers understand what the UPS driver goes through. They may not understand that if the manager refuses to sign for the package that it will go back. ... Not to far off from some of our customers being brain dead about leaving their dog in the yard.... They just don't get it!

I know as a customer - I would probably be soured from using this delivery company again. I got a delivery from FedEx Ground and they required a signature in person. It was not valuable or drugs or alcohol and I was SOL. I had to stay home and hope I didn't miss this. Needless to say - I don't think highly of this service.

upsdude

I see your point. I guess you have to wonder about a customer who has a package sent to the storage unit without making some sort of arrangement with the storage facility. They really lose control of their own delivery at that point. But - the person refusing to sign for the package is ultimately not the customer of the unit. If the customer of the unit files a complaint (concern) it is hard to justify service. If you treat the package like a "dog in yard" and have the clerk make an attempt to call NOBODY can say you didn't do everything to provide service.

I’ve had situations where the property manager refused the package because the tenant had yet to sign a “no harm” letter. The ECS clerk sent a post card to the receiver. The post card goes to the property manager who again refused the package.

UPS should require a contact number for the end receiver. UPS should also charge a fee for packages going to a storage facility. We could charge a fee per stop as opposed to per package.

UPS Lifer

I’ve had situations where the property manager refused the package because the tenant had yet to sign a “no harm” letter. The ECS clerk sent a post card to the receiver. The post card goes to the property manager who again refused the package.

UPS should require a contact number for the end receiver. UPS should also charge a fee for packages going to a storage facility. We could charge a fee per stop as opposed to per package.

That is a "catch 22" situation. But UPS did what the could to secure a delivery. Another reason you should always include a phone number on your address label. Unfortunately a lot of consignors and consignees don't get it.