Stories of UPS immoral/illegal activity

klein

Für Meno :)
Loved those trucks being stuck in snow. Been there a few times myself !
They can't even give us winter tires !

One time I got stuck, a semi actually tried to push me out. He gave it a few tries, but then gave up, because otherwise damages to either vehicles could have occured.
Called my sup, he said to hang in there, and wait for a larger truck that could help me out !!!!!
What the hell is that for an answer ???? Larger then a semi ???

Then he wanted to send other UPS trucks in the area... 10 miles away to try and push me out.
Gee, it took some convincing over the phone, to finally put some sense into his head... If a semi truck can't push me out.... what will a UPS truck try ?
I ended up waiting about 45min for a tow truck to reel me out of it.

But, I sure wish we had the new Quebec laws here, that makes it mandatory for winter tires, each season. Esspecially for fleet vehicles.

browned out

I saw the recent post concerning the Earth City driver who was awarded money and his job back by the Dept of Labor. Made we wonder what other people has personaly seen over the years that should have never happened? Here are a few things that have happened to me.

Got a piece of rebar stuck in one of my 4 rear tires on a narrow driveway. Tall grass and a 90 deg turn in the driveway forcing the truck into the grass. I could not see the metal sticking up. Called it in and transfered over to the mechanics sup. He told me the truck would be fine riding on three tires. Ok, what about the 12" rebar stick out the side wall? Should be fine he says. Ok, I want you to replace the tire. He says if they send out a repair truck I will be charged with an accident. Ok I say, send the truck out as I don't want to kill someone with a piece of flying metal. He asks me if I'm sure, twice. Yes. No accident charged and they came out and fixed it.

Called in a leaking hazmat. Sup said throw in DR bag, bring back to building. I said no. He tells me to leave in DR bag at business, he will come out and get.

Lost reverse once at the end of the day. Can you bring it in? they say. I don't know, I have 4 stops left. They say, we really need you to try no one is here. Like a good boy I did it and nothing happened but I really wonder if something had would they have stood up for me or denied it?

Any others?

Robert

Say it ain't so. Big Brown = Morality This will be a long thread.

PE Pro

Part time sup injured shoulder at work. Manager told him to go home and put it through regular health insurance saying he got hurt at home. The sup said he told him to do this because he did not want the DM getting mad. He further told the sup that he did it the previous year when he got hurt himself. I believe the sup because I remember this manager's injury. Can anyone spell insurance fraud?:doctor:

22.34life

a part time sup in the unload came in and complained about not feeling right the guy was having heart attack symptoms he was told tuff it out and finish the day he did ,then after work had a heart attack.the guy didnt die or anything but just shows ups shows no mercy.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I once had a leaking haz mat. Did the drill: Don't touch, secure vehicle, notify sup. When I told the sup, he told me to keep going. I said that is not proper procedure. He said I know the procedures, just keep going. I said no. He spent about ten minutes threatening me and then finally he and another person came out to deal with it.

you should have contacted the fire dept. in this instance............you contacted authorities (UPS), and they failed to follow guidelines.......fire dept., police, should have been the next step

browniehound

I had a puncture in the front tire of my package car so I drove to a local tire shop a block away to see if they could fix it. Nope, too close to the sidewall. They do a lot of work on trucks and they had the exact same tire in stock, so I called in to see what they wanted me to do. The Automotive manager didnt want a road call on his record and he didnt want to pay retail price for the tire so he told me to have the tire shop take a good tire off the back axle, switch it to the front, and put the flat tire on the back. He even asked if I could get the tire shop to do it for free, since I delivered there!

I told him no, I refused to drive on a punctured tire. He kept arguing with me. Cheap bastard just didnt want to pay retail for the tire. So I hung up on him and called my center manager who, thankfully, told me to go ahead and have the tire replaced. He gave the tire shop a credit card # over the phone, and life was good. Safety first!

I hate being a cynic, but I must in this case. Safety is first only when it prevents injuries and accidents because they cost the center money. When safety violations will cost the center money in production numbers, the natural instinct and first response by management is to try to find a way around it.

Its as simple as that...

browned out

Two weeks ago, One of Our P/T supervisors who we all were all very accustomed to seeing around and working for was arrested for:

kidnapping
firing a weapon
armed robbery
larceny over

and a variety of other charges too many to list. UPS sure can pick 'em.
P.S. he is facing 7-25 years in prison and more than enough evidence to go away for a long time.

If this post is not allowed, please remove, I apologize beforehand.

Our former vd (Volume development or original vd) guy was arrested for sexual relations with a minor. Now instead of take charge Tuesday; we have Get Charged Tuesday.

AKCoverMan

One day I did my walk around and found the turn signals were inop so I turned around and went back thru the gate into the center. center manager walking out of the building as I drive in flags me down and asks whats up so I tell him. He asks me if I can get thru the day without turn signals. I said "Well, if I get cited are you gonna pay the ticket and any increase on my insurance? If my failure to signal is the cause of an accident do you have my back?" Sudddenly a vehicle swap became a good idea.

Of course no good deed goes unpunished. Since the preload had already clocked out I had to do most of the swap myself and the only available spare was a smaller vehicle. It was a mess.[-][/-]

tranham

We had a guy come in on Preload once. 1 hour later his wife calls in and talks to his sup "the baby's coming now! Meet me at the hospital". Sup waits till shift is over to tell him.

A friend passed out from the heat a while back loading a trailer by himself. They tried to figure out how long he was out to be sure he got clocked out as soon as he passed out.

Robert

JonFrum

. . .A friend passed out from the heat a while back loading a trailer by himself. They tried to figure out how long he was out to be sure he got clocked out as soon as he passed out.

Robert
Sounds like the stuff Urban Legends are made of. Is this really true?

jimstud

Banned
my wife was in a car accident was injured and taken to the hospital it took ups 3 hours to get in touch with me. they called my last pick up and had me call the office. this was before we all had cell phones. my son who was 4 at the time was stuck at day care 5 hours longer than normal.you wonder why i have a bad attitude towards ups supervision.