Stories of UPS immoral/illegal activity

pemanager

We had a guy come in on Preload once. 1 hour later his wife calls in and talks to his sup "the baby's coming now! Meet me at the hospital". Sup waits till shift is over to tell him.

A friend passed out from the heat a while back loading a trailer by himself. They tried to figure out how long he was out to be sure he got clocked out as soon as he passed out.

Robert

JonFrum's reference to urban legends seems appropriate. I may be incorrect but if someone is injured on the job (and I assume passing out in the trailer qualifies - as long it was not an intoxication issue) they are paid for the daily minimum hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

JonFrum's reference to urban legends seems appropriate. I may be incorrect but if someone is injured on the job (and I assume passing out in the trailer qualifies - as long it was not an intoxication issue) they are paid for the daily minimum hours.

It does appear that Robert may be stretching the truth a bit. We are paid for our minimum if we are injured on the job.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A few years ago we had a guy collapse and die in the back of his package car fairly early in the day, it might have been at his first stop and if I remember correctly he was parked kind of out of the way, behind some businesses. He laid there all day til his pickups started calling in, asking where their driver was. I don't know that it can be blamed on the company, I'm sure we've all had days where the office had no reason to try and contact us on the route and this might have been one of those days.

JonFrum

He had his min at the time, no one noticed him for (the estimated) 15 mins

Robert
ARTICLE 14. COMPENSATION CLAIMS
Section 1.
. . .An employee who is injured on the job, and is sent home, or to a hospital, or who must obtain medical attention, shall receive pay at the applicable hourly rate for the balance of his/her regular shift on that day.

ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer. Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the time that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in and until the employee is effectively released from duty.

jimstud

Banned
i seperated my shoulder a few years ago and the driver that took the route over for me did a 10 hour day. i was also paid 10 hours.

Sick of Intimidation

Many things come to mind:

Supervisor gets caught banging a part-timer in the back of a pkg. car. Part timer ends up with a supervisor position.

center manager gets caught shaving time from employees. She was getting a lot of us for 15min a day.
Same center manager gets caught calling in full timers to work preload. She would clock them out while they changed into their browns and punch them back in after the morning pcm, shaving 10-15 min each person. She (********), ended up getting caught and fired, then she ratted on the DV(******) who knew what she'd been doing. Vail was forced to retire.

Next center manager is responsible along with sups to reloop our entire ctr. After reloop, everyone of the center manager's favorites are running 1-1.5hrs of bonus daily, everyone he hates could run all day long and still be an hour over. Some of his choices were obviously unethical, but he(*********) was still my favorite center manager of all time.

Current center manager(********), let me see, the list is long: Needed a trailer hooked up and moved during an ice storm but no CDL driver on site, so he goes across the street and asks a Yellow freight mechanic to do it, the guy complies. Imagine the lawsuit if he'd fallen moving our equipment.

Driver bends a front bumper 90deg. out. center manager tells him to ask for a sledge and pound it back, make it look as good as he can, and it never happened. Same driver backs over a mailbox, ripping it and breaking the 4x4 it was attached too. No accident report filed and the same driver was handed a 10 year safe driving award a few months later. It's rumored the center manager went out and paid the homeowner cash for a new box and installation.

center manager has been known to put his hands on 2 different employees, one of which was me. Filed grievance. Of course he denies it but we agree that him and I aren't supposed to be alone anywhere in the bldg. w/o a 3rd party. Next morning I go into work, proceed to my pkg. car to drop off my lunch bag and he's standing in the back of my car and tells me he's gonna have my job and then walks out. I answer " if I wanted any ******* out of you, i'd squeeze your head". I guess he threw a tantrum after we all left the bldg. Next morning, i'm called in the office along with my BA to discuss the UPS anti-harassment policy. He tells my BA what i'd said. I say yeah, but doesnt the policy work both ways and we're supposed to respect each other and respect doesn't mean you can threaten my job all of the time. Nothing comes out of it.

center manager is known for getting in drivers faces, begging them to hit him. He did this to me once. I almost decked him because we're supposed to work as directed and follow management instructions.

Driver goes off the road and hits a boulder, bending the front bumper in almost rubbing the tire. Local farmer pulls her out with his tractor. She calls the center manager on her way in he intructs her to pull the truck in the mechanics bay/shop. Mechanic is called in early to fix bumper and instructed to not write anything up on the DVIR. Mechanic complies but does note in his records the truck number and date. center manager reports it as a stuck and that the farmer had bent the bumper while pulling the vehicle out of the ditch.

I am bitten by a dog. I report immediately. Asked if I can finish the day. I reply that i'm gonna go to the local vet and clean out the wound and try to stop bleeding like a stuck pig and we'll go from their. I call and tell them i'm bandaged up and will finish the day, but i'd like to go get a tet. shot after work. I get in, sup takes me in a room and asks if i'm willing to wait until the next day to report the injury to Lib. Mutual and then go to the clinic. I said yes. It'd been a long day and I just wanted to get home. Next morning I come to work, sup tells me that were gonna do an online report to Lib Mutual. We set down at the computer and do a UPS online Injury Prevention Report. After we finish, I ask him if were gonna contact Lib. Mutual and he replies we just did. I say, that was just an IPR, so where's my confirmation number or claim number. We'll have that for you tomorrow. Lets go to the clinic. We're at the clinic and he asks if he can talk to the Dr. before my appt. He's gone for 5min talking with the doc. He comes out and I ask him about the conversation, he says I was asking her about my heart meds. and whether she could adjust them. I ask the doc when seen about the conversation, she says he was persistent that you were put back to work today, thus eliminating a loss time injury. Did you talk about his heart meds? What she asks? No. I confront him about it and say that if we're gonna have an enviroment of openess and trust, that there's no need to lie again. This infuriates the control freak/almighty god of a supervisor. Over the next 2 weeks, I approach my sup and center manager with my steward on 3 different occasions to ask for a confirmation number or claim number. Then I receive an OJS ride from sup who lied to me. I work as directed, but we're an hour over together. Next day I come to work, normal and routine day. On my out I ask again for a claim number for the 4th time. The next morning I go to work and was terminated and given a claim number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark_Team_135

center manager is known for getting in drivers faces, begging them to hit him. He did this to me once. I almost decked him because we're supposed to work as directed and follow management instructions.

Hahaha That is a classic! "I was just following his instructions". Since you didn't do it, did they try to get you for insubordination? Hahaha

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
we had a rural driver break down one night with about 5 stops left. management called a tow truck for him but told the driver to have the tow truck driver drive him to run the last 5 stops. still hear stories from people who were delivered to by ups and xxxxxx towing

Sick of Intimidation

What did they terminate you for? Asking for a claim number?
center manager has a history of covering up injuries and accidents. We have the lowest rate of accidents and injuries in the district. I'm not sure but I think at one time we may have been nationally known for the lowest amount of injuries. If only Atlanta knew why.

Hahaha That is a classic! "I was just following his instructions". Since you didn't do it, did they try to get you for insubordination? Hahaha

No, i'm surprised.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
center manager has a history of covering up injuries and accidents. We have the lowest rate of accidents and injuries in the district. I'm not sure but I think at one time we may have been nationally known for the lowest amount of injuries. If only Atlanta knew why.

No, i'm surprised.

When a district with 4-5000 employees only has 3,4, or 5 injuries or accidents a day, you have to wonder how that could occur. The rule is report all injuries and all accidents. If every injury and every accident were reprorted, I suspect there would be many more.