Stranded on route for 4 Hours

Brownsfan

Last night with 2 stops to go way out in the boonies my truck lost power and refused to start. I tried and tried, but no go. ODS center wait for 30 mins no reply. Its now 8 pm in the middle of nowhere, freezing, hungry and quite conserned for my health.

Now at this point I realize its time for a walk. A walk through pitch black mountain lion country to try and get cell signal. Not fun. I walk back and forth up and down the road. I walk to the top of a mountain and still nothing. I was so cold, i had to get back to the truck. On the way to the truck BOOM signal.

I call the center quickly tell them where Im at and she puts me on hold and the phone signals dies. It took me and hour to make that phone call. As I am looking for the signal again, something brushes up against my leg. Its fur and i about had a heart attack. I quickly turn the wonderfully over powered diad light on only to find it is a house cat. OMG thank goodness.

Its now 930 and i hear something coming in the distance. Its a tow truck. Hell yeah. I was yelling at the truck like it was wilson. Well thats until the tow truck driver missed the road and kept driving. The tow truck driver would not be seen for another hour and half. Now its really cold, Im covered in dr bags, and hungry. Luckily a customer just happened to give me some honey earlier in the day.

I took a couple sips and the hunger was gone. I look up and see the tow truck driver, but he just drove right on by again. At that point i pretty much conceded this is where i was spending the night. Then i seen a grand sight a truck coming down the road. It was another driver in his personal rig coming to pick me up cause the truck driver couldnt find me. I was so happy. dr bags do not insulate well.

Tow truck driver hooks up the truck and were off back to the building. Walk through the doors and punch out after 1230 am. It was so Late the board wouldn't even punch out.

Bottom line, dont count on UPS to get you home safely, and prepare for the worst. Like a bunch of incompetent people entrusted with getting you home safely back to the most important stop. Which is where they cash their checks.

Anyone else have this happen to them before?

oldngray

nowhere special
Last night with 2 stops to go way out in the boonies my truck lost power and refused to start. I tried and tried, but no go. ODS center wait for 30 mins no reply. Its now 8 pm in the middle of nowhere, freezing, hungry and quite conserned for my health.

Now at this point I realize its time for a walk. A walk through pitch black mountain lion country to try and get cell signal. Not fun. I walk back and forth up and down the road. I walk to the top of a mountain and still nothing. I was so cold, i had to get back to the truck. On the way to the truck BOOM signal.

I call the center quickly tell them where Im at and she puts me on hold and the phone signals dies. It took me and hour to make that phone call. As I am looking for the signal again, something brushes up against my leg. Its fur and i about had a heart attack. I quickly turn the wonderfully over powered diad light on only to find it is a house cat. OMG thank goodness.

Its now 930 and i hear something coming in the distance. Its a tow truck. Hell yeah. I was yelling at the truck like it was wilson. Well thats until the tow truck driver missed the road and kept driving. The tow truck driver would not be seen for another hour and half. Now its really cold, Im covered in dr bags, and hungry. Luckily a customer just happened to give me some honey earlier in the day.

I took a couple sips and the hunger was gone. I look up and see the tow truck driver, but he just drove right on by again. At that point i pretty much conceded this is where i was spending the night. Then i seen a grand sight a truck coming down the road. It was another driver in his personal rig coming to pick me up cause the truck driver couldnt find me. I was so happy. dr bags do not insulate well.

Tow truck driver hooks up the truck and were off back to the building. Walk through the doors and punch out after 1230 am. It was so Late the board wouldn't even punch out.

Bottom line, dont count on UPS to get you home safely, and prepare for the worst. Like a bunch of incompetent people entrusted with getting you home safely back to the most important stop. Which is where they cash their checks.

I had mine lose power like that several times. It was related to keyless ignition which would shut off all power even as I was driving down the road. Very dangerous. Just loose connection in there somewhere but shuts everything down. But the normal key in lockbox would start engine when that happened. But of course the combination to lockbox was considered some kind of secret ( to force driver yo use key fob instead of key) so I had to call in every time it happened to get the combination (which would be changed after every use).

If you punched out less than 10 hours before your next start time I hope you called off the next day.

Also, Article 43 in the contract allows you to burn packages for warmth in emergency situations.

Brownsfan

if your cell phone wasn't working how well did sending messages through the DIADS work?

The diad wasn't working at all. It wasn't transmitting location or messages. I tried to get lock box code but I never could get through on phone. I was so cold that I wasn't getting out of the truck anymore at all.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
This could be a movie, expect after the first tow truck driver left, I'd have him come back and try to kill you in an epic fight, but you win the battle with the almighty Brown Shield that you pull off from the package car's logo.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This could be a movie, expect after the first tow truck driver left, I'd have him come back and try to kill you in an epic fight, but you win the battle with the almighty Brown Shield that you pull off from the package car's logo.
By the power of Grayskull?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
By the power of Grayskull?
tumblr_m336glqeNC1r04pibo1_500.jpg

<sigh> They just don't make cartoons like they use to...

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I am glad it all worked out for the best.
2 years ago I got stranded in the middle of a blizzard. Believe it or not, the wind was blowing so hard that when a fully loaded state plow truck pulled along side me it slid right over and nestled right against the side of my package car.
I was on the clock for 17 hrs that day.

Brownsfan

Lol. I left the part out with the owner of the property and him saying if I would have walked to his house he would have shot me. That's all he said then he turned on his atv and left. I was thinking to myself thanks dikhead.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Brownsfan

I am glad it all worked out for the best.
2 years ago I got stranded in the middle of a blizzard. Believe it or not, the wind was blowing so hard that when a fully loaded state plow truck pulled along side me it slid right over and nestled right against the side of my package car.
I was on the clock for 17 hrs that day.

I was just shy of 17. Your night sounded pretty bad. How does this company not have a protocol for these types of situation? Like maybe a piece of tech that actually works when you need it, or a safety blanket? Time to make a work survival bag for the mountain runs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I was just shy of 17. Your night sounded pretty bad. How does this company not have a protocol for these types of situation? Like maybe a piece of tech that actually works when you need it, or a safety blanket Time to make a work survival bag for the mountain runs.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Socks and whiskey?....o.k....just kidding about, one of those!..but on a serious note.I alwyas have some extra clothes. Socks , gloves, underwear and a t shirt. Also have a flashlight, radio, and a backup....cell phone battery! and an extra snack and drink , In my lunch bucket.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I had mine lose power like that several times. It was related to keyless ignition which would shut off all power even as I was driving down the road. Very dangerous. Just loose connection in there somewhere but shuts everything down. But the normal key in lockbox would start engine when that happened. But of course the combination to lockbox was considered some kind of secret ( to force driver yo use key fob instead of key) so I had to call in every time it happened to get the combination (which would be changed after every use).
Thats why i dont use that gayazz taking 2 million years to start push button bullshiznitt. I use the key always have and always will lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Did you have enough clothes on homeboy or what? Do you bring extra clothes like a well prepared driver? Just sayin dude, but that does suck. Glad your ok to tell the story bro