Strange Package Tracking

tae111

I ordered an item from Amazon the other day and I got an e mail stating it was shipped. I tracked the package and it showed it scanned at the facility 4 miles from my house at 4:28 A.M. on 3/21. Normally the next thing it would show is "out for delivery" but instead it shows "tendered to local postal carrier for final delivery". I had heard UPS had some sort of deal with the Post Office but it seems strange that they would loose a day of service for a delivery so close the the building. Whats up ?
Date
Time
March 21, 2013
01:42:00 PM
Mount Olive NJ US
Arrival Scan
March 21, 2013
12:55:00 PM
Mount Olive NJ US
Tendered to local postal carrier for final delivery
March 21, 2013
04:28:00 AM
Mount Olive NJ US
Arrival Scan
March 21, 2013
02:14:00 AM
Parsippany NJ US
Departure Scan
March 20, 2013
04:56:00 PM
Parsippany NJ US
Arrival Scan
March 20, 2013
08:25:00 AM
Maumee OH US
Departure Scan
March 20, 2013
03:08:00 AM
Maumee OH US
Arrival Scan
March 20, 2013
01:42:00 AM
Livonia MI US
Departure Scan
March 19, 2013
11:09:00 PM
Livonia MI US
Arrival Scan
March 19, 2013
10:16:00 PM
Pontiac MI US
Departure Scan
March 19, 2013
06:05:00 PM
Pontiac MI US
Shipment received by carrier
March 19, 2013
03:42:21 PM
US
Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier

S

serenity now

SurePost, low-cost alternative * USPS is the final delivery link, unless ........ (and then it just gets too complicated to explain)

tae111

I have been retired for over 2 years and out of Package since 1998. We didn't have Sure Post when I was a Package driver so I didn't know how that worked. I have had hundred of deliveries from Amazon and never ran across this in the past. I thought they would just use that for very rural deliveries not ones so close to the building. Thats why I asked the question.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I ordered an item from Amazon the other day and I got an e mail stating it was shipped. I tracked the package and it showed it scanned at the facility 4 miles from my house at 4:28 A.M. on 3/21. Normally the next thing it would show is "out for delivery" but instead it shows "tendered to local postal carrier for final delivery". I had heard UPS had some sort of deal with the Post Office but it seems strange that they would loose a day of service for a delivery so close the the building. Whats up ?
Date
Time
March 21, 2013
01:42:00 PM
Mount Olive NJ US
Arrival Scan
March 21, 2013
12:55:00 PM
Mount Olive NJ US
Tendered to local postal carrier for final delivery
March 21, 2013
04:28:00 AM
Mount Olive NJ US
Arrival Scan
March 21, 2013
02:14:00 AM
Parsippany NJ US
Departure Scan
March 20, 2013
04:56:00 PM
Parsippany NJ US
Arrival Scan
March 20, 2013
08:25:00 AM
Maumee OH US
Departure Scan
March 20, 2013
03:08:00 AM
Maumee OH US
Arrival Scan
March 20, 2013
01:42:00 AM
Livonia MI US
Departure Scan
March 19, 2013
11:09:00 PM
Livonia MI US
Arrival Scan
March 19, 2013
10:16:00 PM
Pontiac MI US
Departure Scan
March 19, 2013
06:05:00 PM
Pontiac MI US
Shipment received by carrier
March 19, 2013
03:42:21 PM
US
Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier

You get what you pay for. It's not our fault it's who you ordered it thru. If you paid for shipping call amazon and tell them you want real ups ground from now on.

If you like free shipping your part of the problem not the solution.

Brownslave688

I have been retired for over 2 years and out of Package since 1998. We didn't have Sure Post when I was a Package driver so I didn't know how that worked. I have had hundred of deliveries from Amazon and never ran across this in the past. I thought they would just use that for very rural deliveries not ones so close to the building. Thats why I asked the question.

Actually it's working just the opposite of how they planned with all post office cuts.

Ran a route yesterday that the post office now closes at noon. Well now the route is delivering all those stops. Had an extra hour plus of work. All in all the company took in under ten bucks extra for that hour of work it added.

So now we are losing money on surepost packages. There will only be more and more situations like this going forward.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Not always true. Recently I ordered a couple of boxes of checks and I paid $8 extra for UPS shipping. I wasn't given a tracking number, the package showed up in my mailbox as a Surepost. The boxes were crushed also.

Brownslave688

Not always true. Recently I ordered a couple of boxes of checks and I paid $8 extra for UPS shipping. I wasn't given a tracking number, the package showed up in my mailbox as a Surepost. The boxes were crushed also.

I recently got checks surepost also. Ill have to ask my wife how much shipping was and what it said.

If I were you I'd be all over tht check company. $8 is likely less than it cost to ship them to you.

tae111

Yeah sorry I do have Amazon Prime but this one didn't qualify(outside vender) so I did pay for shipping. So you don't use Amazon or take advantage of free shipping? It seems like Sure Post goes against the subcontracting language in the master.

Brownslave688

I have amazon prime. Prime gives you free 2 day delivery. Most prime stuff either comes FedEx or ups.

Surepost is a necessary evil. FedEx has something called smart post some premise. It's much bigger than our surepost. During Xmas I delivered 5-8 bags of packages a day to the post office. Fed ex dropped off 20 or more most days. This is a service we had to offer.

laffter

As I preloader, I notice that we get a lot of Ground packages with USPS labels on them. Can anyone explain how this works exactly? A driver told me that to save money, UPS is taking over delivery of Surepost packages whenever there is another package on the truck for that same address that day. This sort of makes sense, and I have actually noticed that there is always a regular Ground/Air package for a stop that is getting these black-PAL'd Surepost packages.

Is this same thing happening everywhere?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I like Amazon Prime too, one of my sons pays for it. I set up a separate credit card under payment options that I order from. He is on my Verizon and car insurance accounts, he is still getting the better end of the deal.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Is this same thing happening everywhere?

Yes, what the driver told you is correct. If we have another package going to the same address, we are delivering the Surepost instead of the revenue going to the USPS. Sometimes I have a lone Surepost delivery that is a few houses away from a regular stop. I think that we should deliver more of them if we are making a profit on it.