Stress in the Workplace Takes Its Toll

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is a timely topic with the revelation of the feeder management person that committed suicide out in Dallas, TX.
After working excessive hours through some of the worst weather in the country shutdown Dallas and trying to get caught up through peak and then the possibility he may get fired ... the stress got to him.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
First and foremost, my deepest condolences and regrets go to the remaining family. May The Lord give all their hearts peace. May God have mercy on this poor man's soul.

We are just workers, regardless of position or tenure. Nothing is more necessary in life, than work. When one works humbly and with a greater purpose than them-self, life is lived fully. As UPSers, WE ARE ALL, SIMPLY, WORKERS. Our true reward does not come from our immediate superiors and it's a tragedy that our environment doesn't always value honest labor and toil. So sad...

Pimpedoutatjgx

Wow this is truly awful for the family. If it is true that this was purely due to work pressures, they(family) actually have a case for wrongful death. What all must happen to end a life this way?

oldngray

nowhere special
So they were the management who had to take the fall for failures resulting from following decrees from Atlanta + typical yearly weather issues. The bosses above should learn from this but unlikely to happen. rip.

FilingBluesFL

Pretty crappy deal.

Keep an eye on the others... we may not like sup's, but it's one hell of a psychological rollercoaster to have to deal with a death in the building.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It is true. I will not give out his position or name out of respect to his family. He and 2 other supervisors were to be terminated due to the peak failures.

I guess it was a local issue, huh?

I never imagined feeder sups in Mesquite were in charge of national projections and responsible for buying and leasing airplanes so we all don't look like incompetent boobs on the national news.

I guess I was wrong.

Maybe it's just me, but you would think the executive management team in Sandy Springs would have be in charge of some of our operations. You would think with the PR disaster we just experienced that people at the very top would resign in shame, or be walked out of the corporate offices.

But that's not how corporate America works. The swindlers get rewarded for their incompetence. Just like the banksters.

mercury7

Peak wasn't just about the ice causing delays my building was running seven days a week having back to back sorts when it's usually 5 days a week with two sorts (preload & twilight) and couldn't catch up. I haven't seen a mess like that since the strike. Pkgs piled up and damaged everywhere. The company took on more than we could handle. Like one of my favorite upsers said, "you can't fit 10lbs of crap into a 5lb bag without making a mess", Something has gotta change. The warning signs have been there. UPS just refuses to acknowledge them. Managers constantly taking stress leave for years, some forced to work 20 hour days. Management working full time hours with no break of any kind and it's expected. We are not machines. They completely ignore the human element.

W

westsideworma

It is true. I will not give out his position or name out of respect to his family. He and 2 other supervisors were to be terminated due to the peak failures.

Right because this was clearly the work of just these three people.....this really makes me sick. Hope whoever made the decision is proud of themselves.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It seems there were many accidents reported and even one possible suicide as a result of the stress put on people this peak season.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I get crazy looks from my coworkers when I tell them that one big reason I like this job is the fact that it is low stress. Any stress you have in this job is brought onto you by yourself. It's really not that hard a job. Deliver packages, pick up packages, go home. Minimal paperwork, No meetings. And you only take your job home if you chose to. I leave mine in the DIAD slot after I punch out.

UPSER110

You just gotta learn to deal with the stress. My wife would always ask me when I would be home during peak. My response: 10pm. We just came to terms its part of the job. I go out and be safe, do my job and go home. It is what it is, no need to stress. You can only work so fast and safe, I am in this for the long run and UPS will pay me very well to do my job.