Strike authorization vote for 705

J

JonFrum

I'm sorry 705red, but I only have one thing to say about this...
it's ACCEPT, not EXCEPT.

U(s)PS Guy said:
. . . and to be fair I wasn't correcting your grammar...but your usage of a synonym

Quick show of hands. How many realized ACCEPT and EXCEPT are not synonyms? One, two, keep your hands up, three, in the back, four . . .

New Englander

Nice one Mike.

NE the US (mike and scooby) answered your prayers and saved you from further humiliation.

Funny that I'm not humiliated at all. Why would I be? Oh you must be referring to my online persona! Proof was there for everyone to read. There's more if anyone cares to look for it and read it.
The jokes on you.

I honestly think it's sad that you come on here and act as if your views are the only valid ones. It's absolutely hypocritical to see you in action. What you say and how you act afterwards are two completely different things.

New Englander

Essentially calling you stupid ? Or did I call you stupid? How do you essentially call someone stupid? Who is the "us" you are now desperately trying to pull into the conversation to save you from further embarrassment? Can't you bully teamsters ever fight a battle alone without calling "us" into the conversation?

figure I reckon it might happen. ( how's that for an essential probability statement?)

When you start saying "another idiotic post" you are essentially calling the poster stupid.

Perhaps it's just me but if I'm going to call someone out. I going to have all my ducks in a row.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Just got word that we lost a true value warehouse account today. Several trailers a day of volume just gone. I can only wonder how many more accounts will start transferrring volume to fedex. The fedex reps are running with this and stealing our (ups) work.

I would like to ask drivers not to talk to their customers about this for at least another week or so, there was another rumor that uline was switching carriers and from my understanding this is a very large acoount. There might come a time when we should give our customers a heads up but 3 weeks out is not it. Imo

Let me get this straight !!!!
You guys up in Chicago are fighting the contract that our Union Leaders agreed upon. What is wrong with you.
You're going around making it seem you're saving the world BUT YOU HAVE BIG ACCOUNTS LEAVING OUR COMPANY BECAUSE OF YOUR STRIKE THREAT.
WHO YOU BLAMING FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MANAGEMENT ?????? ATLANTA ??????

Keep on fighting the good fight.
You're just gonna lose jobs in your centers because of this.

OH THATS RIGHT!!!
YOU HAVE SENIORITY, IT WONT AFFECT YOU !!!!
More volume, more new hires, more dues
YOU GOT YOUR HEAD IN THE CLOUDS BUT YOUR GONNA TRIP AND FALL ON YOUR ASS !!!!

By the way, I'm a driver not management

U(s)PS Guy

Quick show of hands. How many realized ACCEPT and EXCEPT are not synonyms? One, two, keep your hands up, three, in the back, four . . .

oh well, enough people seemed to believe me so it worked well enough. :) I'll take the loss that I should have said homonym.

tieguy

Banned
When you start saying "another idiotic post" you are essentially calling the poster stupid.

Perhaps it's just me but if I'm going to call someone out. I going to have all my ducks in a row.

Ah so you are essentially "us" then.

You did claim to speak for us.

So calling a post idiotic means you are calling the poster stupid?

Calling a post idiotic means you are calling an ambigous group of people you labeled "us" stupid.

Why wouldn't calling a post idiotic mean I was calling the poster an idiot?

Are you essentially confused?

You know this gets better the more you try to alibi it.

You should have quit after a couple of your buddies saved you the first time.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
I honestly think it's sad that you come on here and act as if your views are the only valid ones. It's absolutely hypocritical to see you in action. What you say and how you act afterwards are two completely different things.

The fact is you don't have to like my opinion.

you don't have to agree with my opinion.

if you think I am too opinionated then you don't have to read it.

But you're obsessed with me. You want to read my posts

You're obsessed with reading my opinions.

I think its sad that you are so obsessed with me. the jokes on you.

jetset

pitch and toss
You guys up in Chicago are fighting the contract that our Union Leaders agreed upon. What is wrong with you.
You're going around making it seem you're saving the world BUT YOU HAVE BIG ACCOUNTS LEAVING OUR COMPANY BECAUSE OF YOUR STRIKE THREAT.

OH THATS RIGHT!!!

I once replied to a post from someone who wanted to move to the UK , the only problem was the salary. When he told me what a driver in the US earns I was blown away.
I therefore read this thread with amusement , my understanding may be wrong but I beleive that in the US UPS drivers earn way above the average wage for the industry, that the pension is managed by the union and the contributions of UPS employess subsidise other union members who don't work for UPS, that for this reason the union can't afford for the management of the pension fund to be handled by UPS even though benefits to UPS employess would be far greater, That any strike in the US impacts me and UPS staff throughout the world not just the US.
That the people of Chicago work way harder than the rest of the US and for that reason should have greater benefits.
If my understanding of the above in anyway is incorrect please correct me.
BUT in my opinion Heffernan is spot on and well done for standing up its always so easy to just follow the masses.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Tie quote from the other 705 thread. lol
Quote:
Red I know this is hard to understand but I'm not in a competition here. I state my opinions , you're free to disagree but you and your henchmen act like the world will end if you actually have to consider a different concept from what the union has beat into your heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieguy
NE you were a little slow on the comeback. I've already counted the points and placed the trophy on my mantlepiece. Thanks for playing.

Hawk I posted on this display of hypocrisy Saturday ( on page 3 ). Glad to see others have noticed this propensity in him.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If the previous generations of UPS Teamsters thought like Heffernan and Jetset we would not have the jobs that we have today. We deserve as big a piece of the pie as we can get. Stay strong 705! UPS can't aford and will not allow a strike.

705red

Browncafe Steward

If you would have taken the time to read up on this you would have seen that the company has not offered us anything close to the contract that you voted in on the national level. Look at the website and tell me if you would except the companies proposals as is.

Why are we taking a strike vote? Because the company will not bargain in good faith. They have yet to give us more than 30 mins a day of their time over 9 dates. So we should sit back and allow the company to drag their feet? Not a chance! The company is not taking this process serious and after our vote they will have two choices bargain in god faith or take a chance that we will walk.

So whats your suggestion? Just get along to get along? It wouldnt be going this far if the company would address the contract. This same company has already cancelled tuesdays talks now leaving us with 4 dates to ratify a proposal to offer the members. If you read national language you to can lose 22.3 jobs if they create new feeder runs costing you jobs.

OH THATS RIGHT!!!

Of course i worry about job loses and i am concerned but we are the only ones concerned. Shouldnt the company also be concerned? But as you can see they are not if they were they would not cancel tuesdays meeting to do something more important.

What would you do? Continue working without a contract? For how long? The 4 years it took to reach a settlement as in the csi/ups contract?

I asked drivers not to talk to customers yet wait until the vote is taken. It will be upto the members and if the members vote yes what would you say to that? Maybe you have it good in your neck of the woods but here we are sick of being stepped on, fired and dragged out for years in the arbitration process. Lets see the totals next sunday!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
What would you do? Continue working without a contract? For how long? The 4 years it took to reach a settlement as in the csi/ups contract?

I asked drivers not to talk to customers yet wait until the vote is taken. It will be upto the members and if the members vote yes what would you say to that? Maybe you have it good in your neck of the woods but here we are sick of being stepped on, fired and dragged out for years in the arbitration process. Lets see the totals next sunday!

How is my local different then 705 ?

Why is it that you have a seperate contract than we do !!
We fight the same fight every day, touch the same boxes every day, go home with the same stress everyday !!

If you have someone to fight, talk to Hoffa himself. They accepted the contract from UPS and sent it out to vote. I can't see how Chicago is so special that it needs to threaten a strike and possibly lose customers that affect us all around the country.

I tried reading those proposals and can not find the bulletpoints of what you are fighting for, besides 22.3 to feeders.

Please send me a link to what this UGLY mess that will ruin our customer base is all about

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

We fight the same fight every day, touch the same boxes every day, go home with the same stress everyday !!

If you have someone to fight, talk to Hoffa himself. They accepted the contract from UPS and sent it out to vote. I can't see how Chicago is so special that it needs to threaten a strike and possibly lose customers that affect us all around the country.

I tried reading those proposals and can not find the bulletpoints of what you are fighting for, besides 22.3 to feeders.

Please send me a link to what this UGLY mess that will ruin our customer base is all about

705 and 710 are not covered under the National Master, they have their own separate contract though my understanding is that they use the National as a basis. If labor troubles make you this nervous you're in the wrong business.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I once replied to a post from someone who wanted to move to the UK , the only problem was the salary. When he told me what a driver in the US earns I was blown away.
I therefore read this thread with amusement , my understanding may be wrong but I beleive that in the US UPS drivers earn way above the average wage for the industry, that the pension is managed by the union and the contributions of UPS employess subsidise other union members who don't work for UPS, that for this reason the union can't afford for the management of the pension fund to be handled by UPS even though benefits to UPS employess would be far greater, That any strike in the US impacts me and UPS staff throughout the world not just the US.
That the people of Chicago work way harder than the rest of the US and for that reason should have greater benefits.
If my understanding of the above in anyway is incorrect please correct me.
BUT in my opinion Heffernan is spot on and well done for standing up its always so easy to just follow the masses.

We are some of the highest paid so yes you are corect there, dhl is around 25 and change per hour while we are 28. But if you look at the difference here we do alot more work for that 28 than dhl for his 25.

I will never say that people in chicago work harder than any other upser in any part of the world. Since day one chicago was never included in the national master agreement.

Pensions vary from state to state some our contralled by both teamsters and ups, some are controlled by ups only.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
705 and 710 are not covered under the National Master, they have their own separate contract though my understanding is that they use the National as a basis. If labor troubles make you this nervous you're in the wrong business.

Who's nervous???

It's just not good for business !!
I just want a link so I can see what UPS took out of the master contract and what the locals want in on top of the contract. Thats all.

Drivers are being taken off the roads because of the economy, this will not help it either.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Who's nervous???

It's just not good for business !!
I just want a link so I can see what UPS took out of the master contract and what the locals want in on top of the contract. Thats all.

Drivers are being taken off the roads because of the economy, this will not help it either.
I agree it's not good for business, but why are you putting all the blame on 705? It takes two sides to have a negotiation.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm not putting the blame on anyone. I just want to know what makes these 2 locals different then the rest of the country. Why would UPS hardline these 2 locals but the rest of the country has signed the master early. I just want an unbiased opinion. (With facts that back it up)

705red

Browncafe Steward

Every contract in chicago is covered seperate from the national. How many members in you local? How many are ups?

The size of our local comes into play here 19,000 strong which around 13,000 are ups. Chicago has been allowed to have seperate contracts. The explanation i have heard talkinf with some retirees is because if you shut down chicago you impact the whole country. This was used by other ibt leaders to make points in the past.

Hoffa does not negotaite for us in chicago, maybe you should take it up with him if your not happy with what you got.

We wouldnt have to threaten a strike if ups would agree to bargain in good faith. They have not even talked economics, so we should put this proposal out to the members to vote on and take a chance of no raises, medical, pension for the next 5 years. We will be walking the pavement first.
Same with 710 from my understanding no economics, which should tell you its not the teamsters its the same company negotiators who bargain both contract.

WWW.TEAMSTERSLOCAL705.ORG

Click on ups cpntract talks

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not putting the blame on anyone.
Sorry, I must have misunderstood this :rolleyes::

HEFFERNAN said:

OH THATS RIGHT!!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Sorry, I must have misunderstood this :rolleyes::

:slap: Makes it look like that way doesn't it !!!!

I just want to know what the fighting is about. and Why would this come to a point where we lose customer base in a bad economy. Everybody wants a little more than they have. What is taken out of the master contract that may result in the strike.