Strike in Chicago?

New Englander

The reason we have a labor agreement with wages and benefits at the top of the industry...is because of our union solidarity.
Is our union perfect? No. Is this current contract perfect? No. Do I want to go out on strike during these tough economic times? No. Does that mean that we should violate the contract and handle struck goods if our brothers and sisters in Chicago go out on strike? NO NO NO. Regardlss of your personal feelings towards this contract or the union in general, ask yourself what sort of a bargaining position we will be in 5 years from now if we fail to stand together. If UPS knows that we can be divided, we are all screwed.

There is no solidarity here. Think about it. They need to eventually get in under the Master.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Guys how many different regions have supplements? That is different contract language from nma. How many were voted down? At least 3 that i can remember off the top of my head.

Guys I dont know how it happened or when its been like this forever. Our local consists of 13000 upsers with 11 ftime businees agents and another 2 assistants.
Our monthly panel consists of well over a 100 cases per month and typically takes two days to get through the docket. We use our hall for these meetings and can expediate terminations, suspensions, etc by being seperate. Our local has a total of 19,000 members frrom all crafts and every contract is seperate not just ups.

You are letting a ptsup troll push your buttons here. I have been here for some time and never have any of you heard me say that 705 is better than anyone else. We have a better local than what alot of you have said, and we get great representation from our union. But as upsers we all do the same job, and i look at it as its no different than other supplements. I dont see anyone screaming because 804 and several other locals voted down the crap national. They got what they wanted and deserved now didnt they.

We have not been offered any money by ups yet, so dont say that we are better or holding out for more. We are fighting to keep our language! Ups wants to eliminate seniority, they want to eliminate ftime jobs, they want to give us 5 day work weeks in any 7 day period, the list goes on.

If you guys excepted this language than i feel very said for you. But we will protect our jobs that we have won through previous contracts and we will not sell out the unborn! Now if you call that selfish, than we are selfish. Now if you cant support that wouldnt that make you selfish?

Guys how many different regions have supplements? That is different contract language from nma. How many were voted down? At least 3 that i can remember off the top of my head.

Guys I dont know how it happened or when its been like this forever. Our local consists of 13000 upsers with 11 ftime businees agents and another 2 assistants.
Our monthly panel consists of well over a 100 cases per month and typically takes two days to get through the docket. We use our hall for these meetings and can expediate terminations, suspensions, etc by being seperate. Our local has a total of 19,000 members frrom all crafts and every contract is seperate not just ups.

You are letting a ptsup troll push your buttons here. I have been here for some time and never have any of you heard me say that 705 is better than anyone else. We have a better local than what alot of you have said, and we get great representation from our union. But as upsers we all do the same job, and i look at it as its no different than other supplements. I dont see anyone screaming because 804 and several other locals voted down the crap national. They got what they wanted and deserved now didnt they.

We have not been offered any money by ups yet, so dont say that we are better or holding out for more. We are fighting to keep our language! Ups wants to eliminate seniority, they want to eliminate ftime jobs, they want to give us 5 day work weeks in any 7 day period, the list goes on.

If you guys excepted this language than i feel very said for you. But we will protect our jobs that we have won through previous contracts and we will not sell out the unborn! Now if you call that selfish, than we are selfish. Now if you cant support that wouldnt that make you selfish?

You don't deserve any more or less than me. It's that simple.

BrownSuit

It's this simple, get on the Master. If there is a problem with the Master, fix it the next time negotiations come around.

Times were good in '97 economically. The company suffered greatly though as a result of the strike. Fast forward 11 years later and most customers have forgotten about it.

There are however quite a few who dual source or who solely use other carriers because they lost business during the strike. They claim we ruined their business.

Times are rougher, we are looking to have any edge possible out there. The fact that the National was signed months before it expired was a major selling point for UPS. No strike concerns.

Now a single local wants to divide the company. You say United We Stand, well if your so United, why don't you sign the National?

Have your regional supplements covering everything from Education at CACH, to the differences working in a rail yard. Is the national agreement not good enough for you? Do your union brothers and sisters deserve to suffer out of work only receiving strike wages from the Union because you won't cover your self under the same agreement as them?

I don't know the particulars, so I can't speak to them. You may want to mention them here for all to see, because it's going to effect everybody here if you do something foolish.

If you strike, not only are you going to collapse the company at this point, as there is no coming back for a number of these customers, but I do not believe that the Teamsters can support strike wages this time around and the Unemployment benefits aren't going to put food on the table when Milk is more expensive than gas, and gas is over $4 a gallon.

And you wonder why you think the company won't negotiate. Just listen to yourself.

Be United, Be on the Master, or Be Divided and Be on your own variation and be forced to beg. Look at what you are going to do to everybody else.

tieguy

Banned
The reason we have a labor agreement with wages and benefits at the top of the industry...is because of our union solidarity.

problem is chicago does not feel the same about soladarity which is why they negotiate seperately from you.

but when they get into trouble they'll come back to you and talk the brother talk and expect you to risk the house to help them.

U(s)PS Guy

I am an 18 year member of local 710 and I appreciate your response. I truly hope it doesn't come to this. But from what 705Red is reporting, the company isn't even coming to the bargaining table. I realize that this is only message board banter and not proven as fact. Hopefully the intent of the strike authorization is only intended to get serious negotiations to start up.

I, for one, would be willing to work under the old contract for a limited time in order for a good contract to be hammered out.

I have nothing to say about your post, but about your username.

Shouldn't it be Ms. Chnandler Bong? :happy-very:

satellitedriver

I can only "said",
Huh?

705red

Browncafe Steward
I can only "said",
Huh?
I was wondering how you became a moderator? No one else wanted to wear the spelling badge, congrats on pointing out a mispelled word of mine. As you can see i dont use spell check, youve got me i surrender.

But seriously you know i cant stand you and would appreciate it if you kept away from me, before i go and get myself banned.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You all have read my post i stand by it! My next post on this issue will include the strike vote totals.

You guys might be willing to lose ftime jobs, and sell out the future, but i wont and we will see what the members say.

dillweed

I'd sure hate to see a strike here. It's true that prices are out of control and many wouldn't be in a comfortable position if out of work for an extended period of time. Sure would rather be slinging cardboard for a good wage rather than sitting in a lawn chair and roasting weeners over a 55 gallon drum. Our delivery area has had some very hard hits recently and the loss of UPS delivered supplies would just add more grief.

As a 710 member I don't feel we are any better than the rest of the country. We have no power to change the fact that we are under a separate agreement, at least none that I know of.

I am concerned about some of the language in the Master and agreed with many others in my center to make suggestions that differ from it. Do I think that we'll get everything we want? Heck no, but a decent compromise would ensure that nothing is taken away from us. Insurance is a biggie and paying premiums would negate increase in wages. Have not heard one detail about insurance or premiums and wish that would be cleared up before we vote.

Starting wage for pters is an outrage and we just can't keep them. Maybe it's good for the operation but sure sucks to deal with poorly trained new employees all the time. It's hard on the pt sups who babysit them and hard on those of us who understand the system and have learned to work within it.

We supported the rest of the country by refusing to work while they were on strike. It hurt our pocketbooks just as much as it did theirs. I'd hope that they would return the favor if worse comes to worse here.

BrownShark

Banned
Im with the 705 guys and gals, if they strike, then thats what it is...

This is something that EVERYONE should have thought about when they rammed that POS contract down our throats back in November.

I read a post where someone said, "wait till the next negotiations" to correct issues....

Really?

Is this how we negotiate a contract dispute? Surrender until the company tells us what to do?

Out here in the west, the turnover since the new contract of part timers has gone up tremendously. There are preload pens where out of 80 preloaders, 69 are under 2 weeks old.

The cost of fuel and everything else under the sun, combined with UPS cutting hours makes the job unworthy of coming to.

Now, everybody understands that a strike in Chicago will hurt everyone, but it doesnt have to be that way. The company and the union should sit down and work this out.

If not, then it is what it is....

If the company fails to work this out, then you can watch the stock price plumment to 30 bucks!

You will watch customers leave, but they will return. Yall have to remember that our competition is REDUCING its onroad capacity and cannot handle the volume.

Our competition is in a bigger cash crunch than we are...

Those who say our volume will leave dont understand "capacity containment".

All our customers want is for the union and company to work out there problems peacefully.

If a strike happens, then I support my brothers and sisters brave enough to take this on!

AS for money, a little secret for you guys who say there isnt enough money for strike pay, all the locals in the country will chip in to see to it that the affected workers get paid...we do it all the time.

Lets hope cooler heads prevail.

Peace:peaceful:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
STAND STRONG CHICAGO local 639 will support you guys.
+1

I remember when we struck in 97, the pilot's union backed us 100% even though they are a different union under a different contract, and that was a huge help. Not a single union pilot flew during the strike. Subsequently the pilots were able to negotiate an industry leading contract in large part because the company knew that the Teamsters would support them in return if it came down to a work stoppage. The argument that we should not support Chicago because they negotiate separately from the NMA is nonsense. For unionism to work unions have to support one another. If Chicago can negotiate a better contract than the NMA, it helps all of us down the road. I do not want to see a strike, I agree with the posters who have commented that economic conditions are a lot less favorable now than they were in 97, but the fact is that there will be a lot less chance of a strike if the company thinks that Chicago will get full support from all UPS Teamsters covered under the national. If the company believes that they can successfully isolate Chicago then they are much more likely to play hardball and risk a work stoppage because the bottom line is that Chicago cannot sustain it all by themselves. If a significant portion of the country is willing to scab, the company will divert the work to other centers and starve them out. And down the road we will all pay for it, one by one.