Strike in Chicago?

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
By not accepting some of the concessions that were made in the national contract it makes it easier for those to be implemented in the next national contract negotiation. By having a seperate contract, it gives more time to analyze and possibly improve the next contract for ALL UPSers. We in 705 and 710 have not been given our chance to vote on our new contract yet. I think twice a month we should be able to be relieved of duty after 8 hours(8 hour request), That was lost in the the national agreement. I would like to see some honest negotiating and avoid a strike. I hope everyone votes!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I was wondering how you became a moderator? No one else wanted to wear the spelling badge, congrats on pointing out a mispelled word of mine. As you can see i dont use spell check, youve got me i surrender.

But seriously you know i cant stand you and would appreciate it if you kept away from me, before i go and get myself banned.
705red... what's gotten into you the last couple of days? You recently started a thread http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/moderators.172201/ in the UPS Discussions forum about what a great job the mods did and now you're insulting them?

We all know you've got your gut in this contract vote but please don't let your emotions overwhelm your usual even tempered demeanor.

It's either that or we all need to switch to decaf...

scoobypanda

Cheryl- we are discussing sensitive labor and contract issues and satellite driver says he is a scab from 97 and expects heat. Being a moderator should not be an exemption from criticism that he asked for.
705- our contract is officially water under the bridge. I wish you luck in your negotiations and you will have plenty of support from Long Island.
- For those dwelling on the negatives of a separate contract, I offer you this idea: Chicago is starting your contract negotiations 4 1/2 years early, so how about supporting them rather than throwing stones?

55andout?

During the '97 strike, locals 705 and 710 were not technically on strike but were unable to work due to the fact that the work was "struck goods" and other locals put up picket lines at our facilities. I would expect the reverse to be true. We had one guy cross the line.....he is no longer working for UPS.

Again, I hope this doesn't happen. Why won't the company sit down at the negotiating table? My sense is that they smell weakness. They got, in my opinion, alot of concessions in the Master and they feel they can do the same to us. Remember, if we can get stronger language in our contract it will benefit all of us in future negotiations.

Just my two cents...
Respectfully, the picket lines I had to cross as a p/t sup back then were manned mostly by 705 people back then and not people from other locals. So that was then and this is now. I urge all at 705 to vote today. I cant tell you how to vote, its your right and yours only. Just remember when you came looking for a job at UPS, you applied to be a UPSer first and not a Teamster. We all have good jobs cause we all work hard.
Just my two cents.

drewed

Shankman
I'd sure hate to see a strike here. It's true that prices are out of control and many wouldn't be in a comfortable position if out of work for an extended period of time. Sure would rather be slinging cardboard for a good wage rather than sitting in a lawn chair and roasting weeners over a 55 gallon drum. Our delivery area has had some very hard hits recently and the loss of UPS delivered supplies would just add more grief.

As a 710 member I don't feel we are any better than the rest of the country. We have no power to change the fact that we are under a separate agreement, at least none that I know of.

It should take a Union vote, do you think UPS wants to deal with this BS in Chicago every contract?

Starting wage for pters is an outrage and we just can't keep them. Maybe it's good for the operation but sure sucks to deal with poorly trained new employees all the time. It's hard on the pt sups who babysit them and hard on those of us who understand the system and have learned to work within it.

The 705 doesnt care about their pts or they would be making more than the national, atleast the NMA has an increase (albeit over the term of the contract) to the starting wage

705red

Browncafe Steward
2933 voted yes in favor of the strike, 232 voted no aganist the strike and 5 people forgot to mark yes or no so those ballots are marked as spoiled.

3,230 memebers took time out of their sunday for something that is very important to them. I would like to thank everyone for voting and dealing with the lines. I took video of the day and we are working to get this put up for everyone to see. Now ups has 4 days to settle this contract or at least make some progress or chicago walks at midnight july 31st.

Thank you everyone that has responded with support! We in 705 appreciate that, truley.

The contract we have been offered is not even comparable to the nma. While others want to say that chicago thinks their better than the rest, we are not. However we all are better than what the national gave you. If you didnt feel you were good enough to want your raise yearly and put up a fight for it, then you lost. But other locals held out and got more because the membership knew they deserved it.

Our plans are to have our ptimers making more than the national, crap mcdonalds make more than our ptimers and we have spoken today.

The strike vote in 97 for 705 was at 2300 votes today over 900 more people showed.

drewed

Shankman
2933 voted yes in favor of the strike, 232 voted no aganist the strike and 5 people forgot to mark yes or no so those ballots are marked as spoiled.

3,230 memebers took time out of their sunday for something that is very important to them. I would like to thank everyone for voting and dealing with the lines. I took video of the day and we are working to get this put up for everyone to see. Now ups has 4 days to settle this contract or at least make some progress or chicago walks at midnight july 31st.

Thank you everyone that has responded with support! We in 705 appreciate that, truley.

The contract we have been offered is not even comparable to the nma. While others want to say that chicago thinks their better than the rest, we are not. However we all are better than what the national gave you. If you didnt feel you were good enough to want your raise yearly and put up a fight for it, then you lost. But other locals held out and got more because the membership knew they deserved it.

Our plans are to have our ptimers making more than the national, crap mcdonalds make more than our ptimers and we have spoken today.

The strike vote in 97 for 705 was at 2300 votes today over 900 more people showed.

why hasnt the 705 been looking out for its pters the entire time?

satellitedriver

I was wondering how you became a moderator? No one else wanted to wear the spelling badge, congrats on pointing out a mispelled word of mine. As you can see i dont use spell check, youve got me i surrender.

But seriously you know i cant stand you and would appreciate it if you kept away from me, before i go and get myself banned.
To answer your question, I was asked to be a mod.
I can separate my duties as a mod from my personal opinions.
Never the twain shall meet.
Think of a mod as being a steward defending the contract between posters and BC policy.
My use of "said", was a joke. My use of, Huh? was directly related to the nonsense of your paragraph.
I know you would gladly stand (step over) over my dying body, as you have posted in the past.
A poster only gets banned if they can not control themselves, so don't go and put that blame on anyone but the poster.

705red

Browncafe Steward
why hasnt the 705 been looking out for its pters the entire time?
The answer is easy, we have elected for the first time ever in 705s history a upser to run the local and he has brought along great agents. Our sec/treas was an agent in 97 and was removed in early 2000 i believe. We rallyed to put people back in that would represent the members and not the same old business as usual union leadership. So in 2003 we upset the incumbent, again another first in 705s history and this local has been gaining strength ever since. Last year this same administration were re-elected by over a 3 to 1 margin.

Steve believes in doing whats right, right now. Steve was on our contract in 97 when the ptimers last got a strating raise and he will be on this one when they get that starting raise!

paidslave

Cooking Wieners over a 55 gallon drum looks like a plan. Especially with the harrassing tactics UPS managment employs!

Lets see how many stops these lazy management people will put out while we cook weiners over the grill?

I am a firm believer if you can tell someone how to pump out 23 stops per hour safely then you ought to be able to do it. If not, mind your p's and q's.

If my memory serves me correctly, the last strike every truck had 2 people in it to get done 20% of what on man does on a daily bases.

I say strike if we don't get what we believe is a fair contract.

.35 cents per hour? If that is fair to you then so be it!:peaceful:

This is a 5 year deal!

L

Load Stand

Answer me this chicago....was the door not open for you all to vote on the nma as the rest of the country did last year? If you did have that choice, but you chose not to do so and gamble to go for a different bargain, then that was a wrong decision in my eyes, because the economy has tanked big time since then...

Now you want to make the rest of the country pay for your stubborness and gambling...if the economy improved greatly, maybe you could make an argument for more...but now you cannot argue for more successfully...you can argue surely by going on strike, but in the long run you will lose, and the rest of UPS will lose as well...

Go ahead and beat your chests and talk about your local leadership...time will show that they lacked the foresight, and likely the painful experience that a real strike will bring...it has been said, there must be a few wars every now and then, to remind people what truly is important...you should have used your influence to unionize our competition, not destroy the base...

ups79

Answer me this chicago....was the door not open for you all to vote on the nma as the rest of the country did last year? If you did have that choice, but you chose not to do so and gamble to go for a different bargain, then that was a wrong decision in my eyes, because the economy has tanked big time since then...

Now you want to make the rest of the country pay for your stubborness and gambling...if the economy improved greatly, maybe you could make an argument for more...but now you cannot argue for more successfully...you can argue surely by going on strike, but in the long run you will lose, and the rest of UPS will lose as well...

Go ahead and beat your chests and talk about your local leadership...time will show that they lacked the foresight, and likely the painful experience that a real strike will bring...it has been said, there must be a few wars every now and then, to remind people what truly is important...you should have used your influence to unionize our competition, not destroy the base...

You have no idea. The two locals settle their own contract. They do not vote on the national. Boy have you appear stupid.

tieguy

Banned
Cheryl- we are discussing sensitive labor and contract issues and satellite driver says he is a scab from 97 and expects heat. Being a moderator should not be an exemption from criticism that he asked for.
705- our contract is officially water under the bridge. I wish you luck in your negotiations and you will have plenty of support from Long Island.
- For those dwelling on the negatives of a separate contract, I offer you this idea: Chicago is starting your contract negotiations 4 1/2 years early, so how about supporting them rather than throwing stones?

So you support there efforts to violate the principles of unity by negotiating a seperate deal?

tieguy

Banned
Cooking Wieners over a 55 gallon drum looks like a plan. Especially with the harrassing tactics UPS managment employs!

Lets see how many stops these lazy management people will put out while we cook weiners over the grill?

I am a firm believer if you can tell someone how to pump out 23 stops per hour safely then you ought to be able to do it. If not, mind your p's and q's.

If my memory serves me correctly, the last strike every truck had 2 people in it to get done 20% of what on man does on a daily bases.

I say strike if we don't get what we believe is a fair contract.

.35 cents per hour? If that is fair to you then so be it!:peaceful:

This is a 5 year deal!

funny how that memory thing works.
Now do the math. Lot less management people working then drivers. In my case I covered an area that was normally covered by 5 drivers.

I can't believe you're joking about weiners over a barrel. Is this where I'm supposed to joke about you losing your house?

paidslave

funny how that memory thing works.
Now do the math. Lot less management people working then drivers. In my case I covered an area that was normally covered by 5 drivers.

I can't believe you're joking about weiners over a barrel. Is this where I'm supposed to joke about you losing your house?

Tieguy covers 5 routes? This is why the stock tanked folks because TIEguys and his cronies were doing 5 routes a piece and now he choses to sit on his arse in an air conditioned office!

Best laugh in a while!

Thanks!

Another scare tactic folks: Joke about losing my house? I bet that would make you happy....I would take that chance if you could run 5 routes by yourself for 1 week? Yes I will stock up on the wieners to see that........The only joke here is you! 5 routes!!!!!huh!!!!!

1 week, Because that is as long as a strike would last.......:wink2:

New Englander

Tieguy covers 5 routes? This is why the stock tanked folks because TIEguys and his cronies were doing 5 routes a piece and now he choses to sit on his arse in an air conditioned office!

Best laugh in a while!

Thanks!

Another scare tactic folks: Joke about losing my house? I bet that would make you happy....I would take that chance if you could run 5 routes by yourself for 1 week? Yes I will stock up on the wieners to see that........The only joke here is you! 5 routes!!!!!huh!!!!!

Guys don't be stupid. Your playing into his hand.

He was covering the area of 5 drivers trying to get the decided upon critical stuff delivered with as much else as possible. Hospitals, Doctor offices, Air packages etc...

It was much less volume then a normal route.

Think Fedex Express etc.....same thing.

drewed

Shankman
Guys don't be stupid. Your playing into his hand.

He was covering the area of 5 drivers trying to get the decided upon critical stuff delivered with as much else as possible. Hospitals, Doctor offices, Air packages etc...

It was much less volume then a normal route.

Think Fedex Express etc.....same thing.

Exactly!

I wonder the 705 can be critical of the proposals, when their reading skills can be called into question.....

In our building in '97 we saw sups go out two by two in P1000s every AM and return every PM around 3-3:30. The funny thing was they didn't actually make any deliveries. Their first stop was at some restaurant for breakfast and stayed there for an hour or more, then they would drive around town for a couple of hours, till lunch time. We had people following them.LOL.
They would pull trailers to the unload doors make unloading noises then re-spot the trailer and pull another one up to the dock. The funny thing about that they used the same trailer three days in a row. The trailers are numbered ya know.
When we went back to work I never heard a consignee say they ever saw a delivery during the strike.

Smoke & mirrors?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The contract will be settled by the deadline. The Union will brag about a victory for working class people. The company will brag about rewarding our hard working people and still keeping the company strong. The members will go on-line and complain and claim they all voted no for this POS contract that got overwhelmingly voted in. JMO The Brownmonster

tieguy

Banned

Best laugh in a while!

Thanks!

I don't know if you're dense or just ignorant but do the math. We had about 20 percent of a normal driver group sent out which means everyone who went out had an area of at least 5 normal driver routes. You also need to go back and do some research it was longer then one week. You should do your homework before you come in here and run your mouth.