Strike Rumors

Ptrunner

Theres rumors going around my building of possible strike set forth hall and others to UPS due to the high number of unresolved 9.5 and laidoff combo jobs. Then UPS said contractually were not allowed to strike but Teamster reps said were allowed to because theyre not following the contract. Any truth to these rumors or Im thinking that its just people getting worked up in my building.

Nimnim

The Nim
Frankly, I hope there's no strike. I don't want to be pondering being labeled a scab because I want to work in these tough times.

I'll keep an ear open but I haven't heard anything about this down in Florida.

unionslug

Frankly, I hope there's no strike. I don't want to be pondering being labeled a scab because I want to work in these tough times.

I'll keep an ear open but I haven't heard anything about this down in Florida.
If a strike happens and you cross a picket line you wouldnt have to ponder whether or not being labeled a scab. You would be one

brownIEman

I will never understand, with the numbers at their disposal why the part timers allow the union to run rough shod over them the way they do. The union has successfully fought for them to get a total of $0.50 starting pay raise over the past 20 some years. In the last contract they gave away health coverage starting in 60 or 90 days in favor of one full year's wait for individual coverage and 18 months before family coverage kicks in.

Now, if rumors are to be belived, the union is considering taking you out on strike for an issue that has to do with drivers and nothing whatsoever to do with insiders. And after all this, if you cross the picket line to feed your family, you are a scab.

course, if you are like the folks in my state, if you walk the picket line, you will get something like $140 bucks a week strike pay (well, full timers will, not sure what part timers get) but you may have to drive 100 miles on one specific day to the union hall to pick up the check or it will be returned to the IBT. That was the notice on the union board around here after the '97 strike.

You have the numbers, my understanding is one member one vote. Stop taking it in the short hairs for an organization that in most functional terms does not care about you.

just my 2c...

unionslug

I will never understand, with the numbers at their disposal why the part timers allow the union to run rough shod over them the way they do. The union has successfully fought for them to get a total of $0.50 starting pay raise over the past 20 some years. In the last contract they gave away health coverage starting in 60 or 90 days in favor of one full year's wait for individual coverage and 18 months before family coverage kicks in.

Now, if rumors are to be belived, the union is considering taking you out on strike for an issue that has to do with drivers and nothing whatsoever to do with insiders. And after all this, if you cross the picket line to feed your family, you are a scab.

course, if you are like the folks in my state, if you walk the picket line, you will get something like $140 bucks a week strike pay (well, full timers will, not sure what part timers get) but you may have to drive 100 miles on one specific day to the union hall to pick up the check or it will be returned to the IBT. That was the notice on the union board around here after the '97 strike.

You have the numbers, my understanding is one member one vote. Stop taking it in the short hairs for an organization that in most functional terms does not care about you.

just my 2c...
Oh that's right. UPS cares so much about the employee. Lets see that starting wage is negotiated by both sides. Its not the Teamsters fighting to keep it low, its UPS. UPS could pay more if it wanted to. There are reasons unions came about in the first place. If a company took care of its employees better there would be no use for a union. But the bottom line for a company is always to turn a profit (which is fine), but finding out where to cut the cost at what expense always gets pushed too far.

JonFrum

ARTICLE 8. NATIONAL GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE
Section 2.Work Stoppages
All grievances and/or questions of interpretation arising under the provisions of this National Master Agreement shall be submitted to the grievance procedure for determination.

Accordingly, no work stoppage, slowdown, walkout or lockout over such grievances and/or questions of interpretation shall be deemed to be permitted or authorized by this Agreement except:

(a) failure to comply with a duly adopted majority decision of the National Grievance Committee;

(b) failure to make health & welfare and pension contributions in the manner required by the applicable Supplemental Agreements, Riders and/or Addenda; and,

(c) nonpayment of established wage rates provided for in this Agreement, Supplements, Riders and/or Addenda.

Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this Section, strikes, work stoppages, slowdowns, walkouts or lockouts over disputes, which do not arise under provisions of this National Master Agreement, shall be permitted or prohibited as provided in the applicable Supplement, Rider and/or Addendum. The Local Union shall give the Employer a seventy-two (72) hour prior written notice of the Local Union’s authorization of strike action, which notice shall specify the majority National Grievance Committee decision or deadlocked National Grievance Committee decision providing the basis for such authorization. The Local Union shall comply with the provisions of the applicable Supplemental Agreement, Rider and Addendum relating to strike action resulting from delinquencies in the payment of health and welfare or pension contributions.

Ptrunner

jonfrum yeah i knew that part of the contract too that said if the company didnt comply with something like that.. so we know that we can strike..but the question is..are high up teamsters having conversations with the company regarding this issue right now regarding the 9.5s and the massive jobs layoffs..

ibshines

Dont be sure there would not be any support.A whole lot of people are doing twice the work they used to do.This is happening every where. Companies like UPS are making a ton of money.

hypocrisy

Banned

Those were all concessions the Company wanted, not the Union. These shortsighted savings by the Company have led to the low quality of part-time workers we have today. These concessions were allowed to preserve the pay and benefit schedule for the p/t employees that were employed prior to the new contract. Preserving current member pay and benefit schedules is always a primary goal of our negotiating team.

Keep in mind that all pay rates and benefits in the Contract are "minimums" and the Company could raise the starting wage rate, or any wage rate for that matter, at any time.

This is not my opinion but information directly from 3 members of the negotiating committee.

705red

Browncafe Steward

just my 2c...
Its been said many times that the starting wage is a minimum, UPS can raise it any time they want to, and you wont hear anyone from the Teamsters saying you cant do that.

You keep working for a company that pisses away millions every year on losing grievances because they cant understand simple language. I truly hope that you get a turkey in the near future, because us union hourlies have at least 2 coming! LOL

UPSGUY72

You would have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting enough votes to go on strike especially in this economy. The unemployment rate is about 10% for the country and in some places it's two or three times that.

just interested

@JonFrum

You seem to have so many references at your fingertips! Do you have a link to the UPS Training and Demonstrating Methods procedures for new drivers?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Its been said many times that the starting wage is a minimum, UPS can raise it any time they want to, and you wont hear anyone from the Teamsters saying you cant do that.

Reading through the lines on that observation - UPS can pay more but don't even think the Teamster's will ask for it. :peaceful:

slantnosechevy

Reading through the lines on that observation - UPS can pay more but don't even think the Teamster's will ask for it. :peaceful:
We've asked for at every negotiation since '87. We're told by the company that we're dumbing down the job with technology. We don't need these kids to think. We can find anyone to do the job. They also said that they're dumbing down the job for management too and their pay will reflect it as well. They're right about finding anyone to do both. Put on some browns and lace 'em up and come see how this is working out. Profits up quality down on both sides.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Oh that's right. UPS cares so much about the employee. Lets see that starting wage is negotiated by both sides. Its not the Teamsters fighting to keep it low, its UPS. UPS could pay more if it wanted to. There are reasons unions came about in the first place. If a company took care of its employees better there would be no use for a union. But the bottom line for a company is always to turn a profit (which is fine), but finding out where to cut the cost at what expense always gets pushed too far.

I'd say they care equally about all the employees. The goal of any business is to get as much work done for as little as possible. It's the rank and file that control how the money gets divy'd up. The greed of the full timers decided the fate of the part timers way back in the 80's. More for the majority of the voters and less for the minority. Tables will turn when the part time voting mass outnumbers the full time voters. When they can take $10 per hour off the table for every new full timer in exchange for a dollar or two per hour for every part timers there will be a shift in pay scales.

rod

Retired 22 years
You would have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting enough votes to go on strike especially in this economy. The unemployment rate is about 10% for the country and in some places it's two or three times that.

Not 100% true. The few that actually take the time to participate in a strike vote tend to be the ones that are in favor of striking. After strike authorization is given to the Union then a few others all of a sudden say "Whoa- whats going on here?" By then its too late.