Strike Rumors

iamupser

Grease Monkey
A strike in this economy would be the absolute stupidest thing to do. Unlike in '97, we would have zero support from the general public.

The general public has a problem with working people making a living wage as union employees, unless your a union employee of sports team, motion picture actor, etc... then I guess it's OK to make a fortune. People don't realize that it was unions that promoted the 40 hour week, 1.5 overtime, health insurance, retirement, OSHA, etc...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, out with the unions.

Let's go back to the good ole' days. You work 40 hours at UPS, and they pay you in UPS money. It's 1/5th real money and you can only buy items on premise. Each hub/ center will have a Goodwill where with your "brown bucks" you can purchase your gruel, cheap garmets and hand-me-downs. Affordable housing right on-site for easy commute, 100 brown bucks.

Let's do it right this time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The general public has a problem with working people making a living wage as union employees, unless your a union employee of sports team, motion picture actor, etc... then I guess it's OK to make a fortune. People don't realize that it was unions that promoted the 40 hour week, 1.5 overtime, health insurance, retirement, OSHA, etc...

I guess their definition of a living wage differs from yours. To me, $30/hr plus an industry leading benefit and pension package are more than what I would call a living wage. I realize that the strike would not be about money but the general public would not know that. What is your first thought whenever you pass a picket line? Money.

I assume that Detroit is a big union city yet they also have 15% unemployment. How much support do you think Detroit UPSers are going to get if they decide to walk? ZERO.

A strike in this economy would be a PR disaster.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I guess their definition of a living wage differs from yours. To me, $30/hr plus an industry leading benefit and pension package are more than what I would call a living wage. I realize that the strike would not be about money but the general public would not know that. What is your first thought whenever you pass a picket line? Money.

I assume that Detroit is a big union city yet they also have 15% unemployment. How much support do you think Detroit UPSers are going to get if they decide to walk? ZERO.

Not just Detroit, you won't get support from anywhere nationwide. The whole country is anti-blue collar union (brown in this instance :))

iamupser

Grease Monkey
So are you supporting or not supporting a potential strike?

My opinion really doesn't matter in this instance (IAM&AW). If it did matter how I felt on this issue (9.5 and layoffs), I would not vote to strike, however, I would support a strike and not stab my brother in the back.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
A strike in this economy would be the absolute stupidest thing to do. Unlike in '97, we would have zero support from the general public.

I know of alot of companies upset with getting late deliveries and pickup interuptions due to the fact that they were on a route that was desolved and that they are now part of an add on/split route that forces their new driver to kick them towards the tail end of delivery priorities,(bigger higher volumn company getting benifit of earlier delivery and they getting pushed to later time deliveries.Alot of companies understand that our add ons are overworking us and causeing these companies to be put on a lessor priority due to our trace, distance and higher valued companies. They understand we are using less routes, fewer drivers and it's effecting our services with them. It's possible to get outside support based on these factors. True though, the economy can be a game changing factor on a strike. I'm not saying that I would support a strike but I due wish for change.

22.34life

not true i saw a pole on the news that more people than ever are displeased with there employer and feel that they are treated unfairly.more people are being layed off everyday they would love to see the union stick it to ups,but this is just alot of talk their will be no strike until contract time ,if then.

I can see the headlines now:

"Over paid workers on strike. For more money? Those greedy bastards"

22.34life

where is it written that a blue collar worker that breaks his back for a living should only make a living wage?are the only people that should make 60k/year plus white collar or what?dont our kids deserve to have the same things that white collar kids get.if a company can afford to pay $30/hour and still turn mega profit why is that bad.i dont know what kind of homelife you have but 3 kids and a wife eats $30/hour up pretty quick.20years ago $30/hour and you were rich,now in todays times you are definitly not rich.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They may even go so far as to compare us to the airplane mechanics.

I don't think so. I've never heard anyone ever talk about UPS Drivers without them commenting on their work ethic and how they were always busy and doing their job and never goofing off.

Never heard anyone say that about an aircraft mechanic ... mainly because I've never heard anyone ever mention a UPS Aircraft Mechanics until I came on BC. Still have not outside of BC.

I brought up Local 2727 in a meeting the other day and no one else in the room even knew we had Aircraft Mechanics - they assumed airplanes were serviced by another company.

where is it written that a blue collar worker that breaks his back for a living should only make a living wage?are the only people that should make 60k/year plus white collar or what?dont our kids deserve to have the same things that white collar kids get.if a company can afford to pay $30/hour and still turn mega profit why is that bad.i dont know what kind of homelife you have but 3 kids and a wife eats $30/hour up pretty quick.20years ago $30/hour and you were rich,now in todays times you are definitly not rich.

I believe it is written in our contract. It is also written on obama's teleprompter. He says it a lot. Isn't anything over the poverty level considered a living wage? Which for a family of 5 is about $26,000. I don't believe there is anything written that says you can't have two sources of income though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

$30/hr plus benefits has put two kids through college, a roof over their heads, braces on his teeth and hearing aids in his ears, a 30 day trip to Europe for her, along with 2 years of private school and a brand new car, etc, etc. $30/hr plus benefits will ensure that they will not have to take care of me when I am no longer able to take care of myself. $30/hr where I live is living high on the hog.

From what I have read this strike would not be about money. It would be about all of the contract violations. This is where I have a disconnect as we simply don't have them here, at least not to the degree that has been discussed on this forum. I am home by 6:30 every night and, yes, I take my full lunch and break. I have absolutely no reason to go on strike and, if you were to mention this to my co-workers, I would dare say that none of them have any reason that they would want to go on strike. This is not to say that everything is rosy but things are not that bad in my center.

22.34life

for some reason today in america the general public has come to think of labor unions as an evil,evil thing.the only people that dont like labor unions are the ones that dont have a union job.the uaw and the big three have a big part in this.the uaw had nothing to do with gm and ford making inferior products for years and then waking up one day to see they lost all their customers to toyota and honda,just like a driver can only work as instructed,an assembly line guy at gm can only do the same.why is ford and gm scorned for paying to much instead of toyota and honda scorned for paying to little.people have forgoten that labor unions were responsible for the rise of the middle class,before their were only the rich and the poor.all this just be happy to have a job crap makes me sick,dont ask for anything else because your lucky to be working.people better wake up and smell the coffee labor unions are a good thing and the only thing standing between companys controling your entire life.

22.34life

$30/hr plus benefits has put two kids through college, a roof over their heads, braces on his teeth and hearing aids in his ears, a 30 day trip to Europe for her, along with 2 years of private school and a brand new car, etc, etc. $30/hr plus benefits will ensure that they will not have to take care of me when I am no longer able to take care of myself. $30/hr where I live is living high on the hog.

From what I have read this strike would not be about money. It would be about all of the contract violations. This is where I have a disconnect as we simply don't have them here, at least not to the degree that has been discussed on this forum. I am home by 6:30 every night and, yes, I take my full lunch and break. I have absolutely no reason to go on strike and, if you were to mention this to my co-workers, I would dare say that none of them have any reason that they would want to go on strike. This is not to say that everything is rosy but things are not that bad in my center.
thats great for you and your children,im sure you and they deserve it.im sure you seen your life improve with every new contract,i know i have.you should make more than just a living wage,because ups can afford to pay it to you.