Strike survival!!! Dump your stock!! Cash in some 401k!! Sell on ebay!!!

article22

Banned
Im sitting like a fat manager that never step foot in a pkg car!!!
Be prepared!!! Dont be caught off guard like the brothers at hostess!!!
# 1 cash in some of that stock thats at a 52 week high!!!! Its only heading down no matter what happens!!! #2 get a couple grand out of your 401k!!! You can always increase you % to make up for it
#3 sell on ebay!!! Get your paypal debit card and sell everything including your wife!!!

See u on the picket line!!!!

J

jibbs

So given the current situation, how likely do you all think we'll be striking in a few months? I just realized yesterday that I'll have my 365 days in August, and, man, was I looking forward to essentially free healthcare....

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You're youth is showing.
There is no need to panic.
Selling stock increases your future taxes ; all those new Capital Gains increases and you'll miss out on the increases in dividend pay outs .
Removing funds from your 401K also kicks in more taxes,
So just who are you attempting to help; yourself or the gov't ?
Stop believing all the hype .
We have worked before without a contract , and later received retro active checks after a contract passed.
Or the really smart move by the union could be selective work stoppages, say shutting down a major hub for a week or two on one coast and then moving the stoppage to another coast .
A roaming work stoppage could really screw-up operations .
A nation wide strike will only hurt us all , (union , non union ,& mgt ) & give those other companies a larger share of OUR work.

Interesting fact....When was the first time the USPS actually made a profit ?
In 1976 , when almost all of UPS was on strike for 15 weeks .
Some Locals had their own contracts with UPS & were still working .

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i hope there is a strike, 14 hour days or promote me maybe to save some overtime-dosh; i've got nothing better to do till June anyways, bring it on

brett636

Whatever happened to simply paying off debt and putting a steady amount of money each paycheck into a savings account? Seems a lot more reasonable and less time consuming then this advice. Selling company stock takes time and increases your taxable income when you file your taxes. Taking money out of your 401k triggers a 10% penalty plus your regular tax rate if you are not age 59 and a half not to mention getting that money can prove to be very difficult given the strict rules regarding withdrawals from our 401k program. Personally I don't see a strike happening, but some simple financial decisions to prepare yourself for one isn't a terrible idea.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I'm sorry/but guys?!! Relax a little. I say it will be up for vote by end of May early June. No way is Ups or the Teamsters gonna let a strike happen. Too much for both to lose. In volume and members. Whom will be lost if we strike. Union will sell out new hires. Workers ft and pt will be offered a huge bonus. Unfortunately we will vote for it.

A

anonymous6

# 1 cash in some of that stock thats at a 52 week high!!!! Its only heading down no matter what happens!!! #2 get a couple grand out of your 401k!!! You can always increase you % to make up for it
#3 sell on ebay!!! Get your paypal debit card and sell everything including your wife!!!

that all woudln't be necessary if you had been saving like I have since the 97 strike. if you did not learn from that, then i can't help you.

like Ron White says...."you can't fix stupid!"

reydluap

Wasn't it Chicken Little that ran around screaming " The sky is falling ........" . Relax a bit '22, there are few more weeks of negotiations to go through before we have to think about selling the farm. The Company has presented it's wish list and the Union has rebutted with theirs, now is when the discussions begin. Just calm down. FWIW, If you haven't saved a few bucks back by now, panic is not going to save your *ss.

E. L. Easton - English -The Story of Chicken Little

iruhnman630

Getting through a strike doesn't worry me....it's getting through the months/years of recovery after the strike that has me a bit concerned.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
As someone said in our hub the other day,"I can't afford to go on strike", this as he walks out the crosswalk to take a no pay for the day. I kid you not I worry about my generation that will retire and how those who haven't prepared will want to some how blame their failure to save on my retirement nestegg.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
As someone said in our hub the other day,"I can't afford to go on strike", this as he walks out the crosswalk to take a no pay for the day. I kid you not I worry about my generation that will retire and how those who haven't prepared will want to some how blame their failure to save on my retirement nestegg.

I had a woman who makes ~$20/hr part time with another FT job elsewhere tell me yesterday: "I need ya'll to get a deal done fast because I'm crossing a picket line if we go on strike."

All I could say was: "That makes me very sad to hear you say that." And then I walked away while I remembered she had just bought a brand new car six months ago.

I paid off my credit card with my tax refund and put the rest in my savings account. I also have a vacation scheduled for the 3rd week of August (check received the first week). I have enough in my "s"-word account to last me two months, as it stands. Granted, I don't have a family, but there's absolutely no excuse for anyone (even part-timers, like me) to not be prepared.

I would rather live in my car than cross a picket line. But I've got enough put away so I won't have to.

brett636

Thats a concern of mine too. Come retirement you and I will be looked at as villians because we were proactive all our working lives and saved what we could when we could. Its the same mentality that prevails when people get all worked up about the evil "1%". Those people made the necessary decisions that got them there and now they are to be villified because of it. I fear that one day we could see Obama or a similar ideologue make a move on our retirement savings because its not fair that we saved up a respectable nest egg while the less responsible did not. Just remember that the responsible ones like us will be referred to as the "fortunate" and those who aren't will be called the "unfortunate".