strike

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
We should drop this company for one day like we did on feb 4th 1994 . Allthough strike lasted only 10 hours the company smarted up real fast (for any who were not around this is when UPS raised the weight limit from 70lbs to 150lbs) with this CEO not being a real UPSER it is time to call off contract talks till this company wants to get serious. I just want everybody to keep one thing in mind it is the men and woman who wear those brown uniforms make this company money and nobody else . The time has come to strike, we will lose volume but when you go to war there will be casualties.

Above in bold text is a myth.
This company's strength is it's diversification.
The service provider dressed in Pullman brown is the recognizable face of UPS; our services go beyond those they sign for in your DIAD.

A

anonymous6

anyone on the outside would be scratching their heads over the Teamsters giving concessions after UPS has made $20,000,000,000.00 in profits over the life of this past contract?????????

the general public would think " we's are all brain dead."

Limper

Out For Delivery
anyone on the outside would be scratching their heads over the Teamsters giving concessions after UPS has made $20,000,000,000.00 in profits over the life of this past contract?????????

the general public would think " we's are all brain dead."

8 per cent unemployment and the public will be on the side of UPS drivers who got $32 an hour if we go on strike?
Better think again.

brown_trousers

8 per cent unemployment and the public will be on the side of UPS drivers who got $32 an hour if we go on strike?
Better think again.

Public opinion isnt going to prevent our customers from switching to FedEx uoon a strike. Public support or not, a strike will cost UPS a lot more than healthcare will

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How many strike threads do we need. It's like the seasonals or transfers or ups socks. Come on guys we r better than this.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I just want everybody to keep one thing in mind it is the men and woman who wear those brown uniforms make this company money and nobody else .

Not that I expected your thread to go anywhere based upon your title, but it came to an absolute screeching halt when you crafted this gem of a sentence.

Because those in brown are our sales teams that nab these big accounts. Or acceptance audit the hazmats. Or fix the trucks you drive. Or process your payroll. Or because those in brown load the package cars, or because they load the feeders, pups, and drop frames. Because those in brown fly our aircraft, or load those pricey next day airs onto those jets. Because those in brown sort the packages, because those in brown unload the trailers. Those in brown balance the financials. Or take customer calls. Or plan each day's routes. Or plan any operation.

Yes, those guys in brown are the face of UPS. Yes, you are the most visible representation of the company. But there are hundreds of thousands of people that would beg to differ with your arrogant beliefs that you are the end-all be-all. You wouldn't exist without the rest of the company, as the rest of the company would not exist without you or any of it's cumulative parts. That blind arrogance will do nobody a shred of good in any negotiation....from either side.

Get some sense.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
why would customers have to commit for a year if the service they would switching their volume to was better anyway? if that was the case they should be using the other guy already.

Minimum contract length with either shipper is one year.

Big companies pay to break that contract no problem. We just had one switch back after 3 weeks with fed ex.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Our contracts, riders and addendums are chock full of "WILDCAT STRIKE" preventions. This is a silly idea at best, and we are prevented from causing such a work stoppage. This would hurt our positions and not help them.

Keep this in mind, if a wildcat strike occured, customers would then switch to other carriers, then we would have to cope with having to negotiate a new contract with the company actually able to prove its losing business.

That would be "OUR FAULTS". Our goal is to keep the company moving and demonstrating that they need us, and not to choke ourselves off.

Peace

TOS

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just want everybody to keep one thing in mind it is the men and woman who wear those brown uniforms make this company money and nobody else.

Hopefully you are kidding.
If not, this may be the stupidest thing I've seen posted on here in the last decade and Lord knows I've seen some awfully stupid stuff posted on here.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Above in bold text is a myth.
This company's strength is it's diversification.
The service provider dressed in Pullman brown is the recognizable face of UPS; our services go beyond those they sign for in your DIAD.

I agree with Hoax.

And allow me to expand the word diversification.

The men and women from all ethnic backgrounds working for different divisions of UPS - ALL OVER THE GLOBE.

The different products we offer to the consumer, ground, air and ocean.

We all are an important part of UPS.

gorilla75jdw

LOL , you cant see the forest for the trees . Some of you guys are worried about the small picture , think longevity , and what happens if we give 1 freakin inch . , If yu are weak , step aside , go across the street and stay , us old heads got this , then you scabs can come back and ride coat tails as usual . Just watch your tires , unless you got run flats .

" The time has come to strike, we will lose volume but when you go to war there will be casualties."

I don't know, Hoax. I thought is line was pretty good as its coming from someone who admittedly wouldn't be one of the "casualties". I'm glad he's not in charge of sending kids overseas.

reydluap

LOL , you cant see the forest for the trees . Some of you guys are worried about the small picture , think longevity , and what happens if we give 1 freakin inch . , If yu are weak , step aside , go across the street and stay , us old heads got this , then you scabs can come back and ride coat tails as usual . Just watch your tires , unless you got run flats .

This is the reason the general public despises unions! To state flattening tires is immature and threatening. GROW UP!!! We can disagree with UPS and negotiate without the fear of violence. Now there are TWO stupid post in the same thread........

beentheredonethat

A lot of the old timers have no reason to worry. I bet most of the old timers have selected the first 2 weeks of August for "vacation" so they won't lose any pay (at least for the first two weeks). If we lose a ton of volume, they still have enough seniority that they will be called back. They are in a win \ win scenario. The younger folks, are the ones who won't be able to pick the Aug vacation weeks. They also may be near the bottom of seniority list and could be out for many months if there is a work stoppage. If there is a work stoppage of anything more then a day or two, then I see this going where UPS will try to break the union. We already will have lost a lot of shippers, and therefore the density we enjoy in our pkg delivery. We will hire from outside for much lower rates, more in line with what FDX grd pays. In this economy, we could easily hire enough people.

Hire, yes. Operate, no.

The company couldn't take on that many new people and get the operation running in any remote resemblance of what we have now.
I use as example the annual peak feeder temp drivers. They take people with years of UPS driving experience, train the with certified (yea, I know) supervisors, for a job that is admittedly less complicated, and except in the case of some naturally talented individuals have a driver that maybe,maybe, might have half an idea if what to do just in time to go back to package car. Now multiply that by thousands. In every position.

Now if UPS said Our contract with the Teamsters has been fulfilled. We have decided to move forward as a non union company. Any and all current employees are welcome to apply and if accepted will be awarded their present positions or better along with the benefits they have earned during their previous tenure. They will also retain their original seniority date over any new hires. Just come on in by this date. After this date applications will be taken for off the street employees.

Now if the representation of union employees elsewhere is the same as what I've seen here then a plan like that would break the union. A large number of union employees could give a flying flip about the union until they land in trouble or want something more than what they have. Beyond that its What union? Given that they'll still have everything they've had before or better they'll be at UPS' door on day one to get that application in.

iruhnman630

If there is a work stoppage of anything more then a day or two, then I see this going where UPS will try to break the union.
I know to never say never, but I doubt UPS is confident enough in their technology to throw 250,000 newbies into the package cars at once.

I honestly believe the company will cave anyway, just like they did in '97.

iruhnman630

Now if the representation of union employees elsewhere is the same as what I've seen here then a plan like that would break the union. A large number of union employees could give a flying flip about the union until they land in trouble or want something more than what they have. Beyond that its What union? Given that they'll still have everything they've had before or better they'll be at UPS' door on day one to get that application in.

And you, or anybody else here, would you give up your livelihood for the union?

Honest question.

In your scenario the only thing we'd be giving up is protection.

That would be a painful choice to have to make, one I hope never happens.

Last edited: