strike

stink219

We should drop this company for one day like we did on feb 4th 1994 . Allthough strike lasted only 10 hours the company smarted up real fast (for any who were not around this is when UPS raised the weight limit from 70lbs to 150lbs) with this CEO not being a real UPSER it is time to call off contract talks till this company wants to get serious. I just want everybody to keep one thing in mind it is the men and woman who wear those brown uniforms make this company money and nobody else . The time has come to strike, we will lose volume but when you go to war there will be casualties.

Above in bold text is a myth.
This company's strength is it's diversification.
The service provider dressed in Pullman brown is the recognizable face of UPS; our services go beyond those they sign for in your DIAD.
Your post is ludicrous!!
There is ONLY one way UPS make money, DELIVERING AND PICKING UP PACKAGES. If your not directly involved in that process, then your a waste of money.

island1fox

I know to never say never, but I doubt UPS is confident enough in their technology to throw 250,000 newbies into the package cars at once.

I honestly believe the company will cave anyway, just like they did in '97.

iruh,

Your number is WAY, WAY WAY --out of whack---in the 65,000 range is closer to the number of package drivers

iruhnman630

iruh,

Your number is WAY, WAY WAY --out of whack---in the 65,000 range is closer to the number of package drivers
Mistake noted. I believe my number is closer to the total number in UPS.

Yet the point remains...that's 65,000 who would need to go through the one-week class and 30-day packet. 65,000 months worth of training, not too mention replacing and training all the inside positions.

And we all know how well that would go.

stink219

Your post is ludicrous!!
There is ONLY one way UPS make money, DELIVERING AND PICKING UP PACKAGES. If your not directly involved in that process, then your a waste of money.

Are you seriously that delusional and short-sighted?
No, a realist. Your just sold on the Brown cool aid your fed. You mean to tell me that billions we made was from other forms of revenue? I'm not talking about freight and UPS capital bullshhit. The managers and sups don't even know that this "technology" screws you guys out of jobs way before us. Why are there less divisions now? Why WILL there be less this year?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Your post is ludicrous!!

Stink I almost always agree with u. This time I don't. Ups is not just a package delivery company anymore. They make money lots of ways.

stink219

We are "the face of brown"? Why do we work 12 hour days? I'm so noticeable at 930 at night doing house stops? Give me a break. I'm sick and friend@cking tired of you sups and managers that think its you that built this company. Bullshhit!!! It was and always will be built on the backs of the men and woman, scratch that, my brothers and sisters that sling cardboard for this company. Our job is to make money. Your job is to make sure we show up. Glorified babysitter. Don't get me wrong, there are a few good seeds in there just like there are a few with us. But be a self thinker. Don't just adhere to there rhetoric. There was a guy in 1941 that tried to make people believe what he was spewing too.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A lot of the old timers have no reason to worry. I bet most of the old timers have selected the first 2 weeks of August for "vacation" so they won't lose any pay (at least for the first two weeks). If we lose a ton of volume, they still have enough seniority that they will be called back. They are in a win \ win scenario. The younger folks, are the ones who won't be able to pick the Aug vacation weeks. They also may be near the bottom of seniority list and could be out for many months if there is a work stoppage. If there is a work stoppage of anything more then a day or two, then I see this going where UPS will try to break the union. We already will have lost a lot of shippers, and therefore the density we enjoy in our pkg delivery. We will hire from outside for much lower rates, more in line with what FDX grd pays. In this economy, we could easily hire enough people.
I actually picked 2 wks in August, but it had nothing to do with the contract. Now Im glad I did.

A

anonymous6

We are "the face of brown"? Why do we work 12 hour days? I'm so noticeable at 930 at night doing house stops? Give me a break. I'm sick and friend@cking tired of you sups and managers that think its you that built this company. Bullshhit!!! It was and always will be built on the backs of the men and woman, scratch that, my brothers and sisters that sling cardboard for this company. Our job is to make money. Your job is to make sure we show up. Glorified babysitter. Don't get me wrong, there are a few good seeds in there just like there are a few with us. But be a self thinker. Don't just adhere to there rhetoric. There was a guy in 1941 that tried to make people believe what he was spewing too.

it's unfortunate, but people do need babysitters.

InsideUPS

We should drop this company for one day like we did on feb 4th 1994 . Allthough strike lasted only 10 hours the company smarted up real fast (for any who were not around this is when UPS raised the weight limit from 70lbs to 150lbs) with this CEO not being a real UPSER it is time to call off contract talks till this company wants to get serious. I just want everybody to keep one thing in mind it is the men and woman who wear those brown uniforms make this company money and nobody else . The time has come to strike, we will lose volume but when you go to war there will be casualties.

Thank you for your input co-chair.

A strike is a serious act with serious consequences. I'm sure that you will agree that in today's world, we need to not only be "tough", we need to be "smart" also. The time has come when we must change the public perception of what Unions are and what we stand for. The stereotype of Teamsters standing with picket signs in their hands need to be changed. A strike vote is a powerful "tool", however it is useless without the planning and legal maneuvering to make it work.

A Union and a Company like UPS are similar to any sports team, consisting of many different talents playing in different positions. Compare our Union/Company to a football team for example, we have quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, linemen, etc.. We also have the various coaches and ultimately the the team owners. In most cases of "free enterprise", the phrase "He who has the gold makes the rules" generally applies. In cases where Unions are involved, that rule is somewhat obscured.

If you are into sports, I think that you will agree that a "team" is only successful when ALL the individuals involved in that team are skilled, respected, and "calls the right plays", at the right time, in ADDITION to compensating his or her team and coaches appropriately...... So, hopefully you can see that success is not based on any one individual or position. Success is based on many different people working for a common goal. Any bit of greed, narcism, or other negative behavior will be met with less than ideal results. FWIW.....even rookie linemen are important to the team... : )

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Your post is ludicrous!!

I nominate the above post for the third post laced with stupidity.

Let's eliminate everyone but the drivers who pick up and deliver packages.

Let's randomly ax worthless UPS employees not directly involved in delivering or picking up packages.
Bye-bye payroll; you guys don't pick up or deliver packages and you are a waste of money.
Bye all admin staff; too many worthless people in jobs to name or quantify.
It was good knowing you but it is harder to name yall...
We are cleaning house here at UPS because Stink says yall are a waste of money.

Hey, Hoax, good thing ya retired because you, like many other employees that don't deliver packages, are a waste of money.

Stink, I know one sure fire way for UPS to make money...

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
No, a realist. Your just sold on the Brown cool aid your fed. You mean to tell me that billions we made was from other forms of revenue? I'm not talking about freight and UPS capital bullshhit. The managers and sups don't even know that this "technology" screws you guys out of jobs way before us. Why are there less divisions now? Why WILL there be less this year?

Hey Realist.
A realist would see small package is flat.
A realist would see that UPS Capital is not BS and freight is a viable solution to save wear and tear on his body.

100 cartons from one shipper could move in small package requiring handling, over and over, as it travels from pickup to delivery.
Using freight, the shipper could move a skid of 100 cartons with one label on a truck requiring one scan at pick-up and one at delivery.

stink219

You guys are missing my point. The fact is you are talking about every stem associated with ups. I was talking about package. Is the preload a part of the process? Yes. Unload? Yes. Feeders? Yes. Have a manager go in to a company an just ask for 1000 bucks. Not gonna happen. Eliminate every hourly for a day, things stop. Eliminate every manager, things still go on. And I made a point to not include EVERY manager or sup. you missing the point.

stink219

I'm an 18 year full time driving steward. That is sick of the mentality of UPPER management. It's the raping of the middle class. I do not want to go on strike. But make no mistake, in 97 the scabs and UPPER management got off easy. I have on cars coming up to me on our side. This is a different company. If you can't see it, who is being close minded. I obviously know we don't have a company without payroll, HR, PE, ect, but in a short time there will be 1 building manager handing out pre made warning letters. I want from 4 on car sups and 53 routes, to 2 on cars and 61 routes. A trend? A few years ago, management didn't get a raise, blamed it on the drivers wages and comp. BUT, Mr CEO got his 26%. How do you guys stand for it?

brown_trousers

Hey Realist.
A realist would see small package is flat.
A realist would see that UPS Capital is not BS and freight is a viable solution to save wear and tear on his body.

100 cartons from one shipper could move in small package requiring handling, over and over, as it travels from pickup to delivery.
Using freight, the shipper could move a skid of 100 cartons with one label on a truck requiring one scan at pick-up and one at delivery.

Even taking into account these bulk stops. I don't think freight business models make anywhere near the profit margin of small package. Just compare UPS and FedEx small package to the multitude of freight businesses out there. We are proving to be way more successful with our original small package logistics. Maybe its because we charge way more, or maybe its because there is tight competition among the many freight businesses out there. Either way, small package seems to be winning as far as profit is concerned.