Stupid Driver Awards

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Amen. If they're going to hold us so strictly to numbers, I'm going to make sure they're getting an accurate representation of the stops I have to make so when I get an ODS to make a pickup that isn't in my diad it goes in as unscheduled pickup. If grandma hands me her zappos return box when she sees me on Main Street it goes in as special counts where I get no credit for it, which is fine because I was already there.

Just have them send the pick up to u.

happyboy

wow sad to hear some drivers got fired, I wonder if these packages were really big or unusual, perhaps heavy just not over 70 and really needed extra time allowance to make the delivery….i think this whole time allowance is crap anyway! Ups charges more by the pound so we should get more time allowance by the pound as well!!!

browned_out

I don't waste my time with this allowance, not worth it. I do think that ups has the technology to have something in the barcode when scanned to give a higher allowance. There is so much right now, packages that when scanned come up with some notation or direction that the driver must follow. In my center we have some large accounts that get alot of packages daily, so much that we deliver them in the morning before our regular routes. These are normaly loaded into furniture trucks or big dogs as we call them, these are ups trucks but the kicker is that if you make bonus that day it is taken away.

The reason they give for not paying bonus is because the stop is to a level dock, there are rollers in the back to assist and people at the business to help. Sounds reasonable right? But the the problem I have is on most days you are delivering over 600 pkgs, stacked floor to ceiling and front to back. You grab each package and scan it before you put it on the floor/rollers, I had to laugh when my supervisor told me this.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I guess the most frustrating thing for me is I do these things to increase visibility, so I will not be suspected of just wasting/stealing time....but that's exactly what I have been accused of.

You need to stop giving a sh%t about whether or not you are "suspected" of stealing time. If you arent stealing time you dont have anything to worry about. The minor delays, missing packages, multiple trips for oversized packages etc that you are describing are a routine part of the job. Do you think you are the only diver who experiences these issues?

All of the silly little games you are playing with the DIAD in order to "increase visibility" are going to get your ass fired. Right now, your management team has you right where they want you; nervous, scared, looking over your shoulder and anxiously trying to account for every second of time. The "allowance" you are so obsessed with living up to is not fair, it never has been fair, and it was never meant to be fair. It was meant to do exactly what it is doing in your case; to intimidate you into cutting corners and skipping your lunches and breaks in order to meet their impossible "standard". Quit worrying about factors that you have no control over, and narrow your focus down to what you can control...which is doing the job safely and by the methods. Let your management team worry about silly numbers, thats why they are making the big bucks.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
. Some guys make out because of this, eg I may pick up 140 30lb packages, while another picks up 140 15lb packages. Both our times are used to make the average, but he will look slightly better than the average, and I look slightly worse. The manager just shrugged her shoulders when I pointed out how bad that could make me look and asked for a way to compensate for that.

The "manager" you are talking to in this case is not actually a manager. She is a plan facilitator. It is a waste of your time to point these issues out to her because she does not have the authority to correct any of the problems or make any sort of an operational decision. The fact that the allowance makes you "look bad" is not your problem. Let it go. The people who actually plan the routes and create the allowances and make the decisions are people that you will never meet. They would never deign to speak to or accept input from a mere driver, so why should you even care about the numbers they invent?

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
What most driver don't realize is that on any normal route your not going to scratch everyday. Everyday is different and even the best time measurements fail at reflecting honest actual times. Fact is the paid day includes your two paid 10 minute breaks as "on road time." So, even a scratch driver should be paid over .33 a day. I just always figured that UPS feels if there paying you, you should be working, breaks be damn.

The irony is UPS management protest being paid over when they know full well that your mostly not supposed to be. The O/R are not just a production measurement but and honesty test as well.

Management makes your being paid over a source of conversation BUT its the paid under drivers that get far more attention behind the scenes. UPS knows there gaming the system.

rod

Retired 22 years
From the second you sign on as a UPS employee you are automatically labled as a thief and a liar. You are assumed to steal company time and lie about doing it. The sooner you realize there is nothing you can do about it and just settle in to doing your job by the methods in a safe way the sooner you will have a large weight lifted off your shoulders. If you are ever bored at a AM ask them why they only hire liars and thieves. Its always good for a laugh.

canoworms

You need to stop giving a sh%t about whether or not you are "suspected" of stealing time. If you arent stealing time you dont have anything to worry about. The minor delays, missing packages, multiple trips for oversized packages etc that you are describing are a routine part of the job. Do you think you are the only diver who experiences these issues?

All of the silly little games you are playing with the DIAD in order to "increase visibility" are going to get your ass fired. Right now, your management team has you right where they want you; nervous, scared, looking over your shoulder and anxiously trying to account for every second of time. The "allowance" you are so obsessed with living up to is not fair, it never has been fair, and it was never meant to be fair. It was meant to do exactly what it is doing in your case; to intimidate you into cutting corners and skipping your lunches and breaks in order to meet their impossible "standard". Quit worrying about factors that you have no control over, and narrow your focus down to what you can control...which is doing the job safely and by the methods. Let your management team worry about silly numbers, thats why they are making the big bucks.
Sober, this post is right on. We need only to follow the methods the best we can. Make the methods your best friend and you will be free of the burden of "the numbers." Keep excellent notes on a daily basis and you sleep well every night. "Close your eyes' relax your mind and float downstream."

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Point taken....again (mgmt said similar). Fear, however, wasn't it; I have posted a number of times how I've told them to OJS me many times. No, as my dispatch supe has said, sometimes I try too hard and think too much, about how "the game" works. I got it, however, I got it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ok---here are my "stupid driver" moments:

1. I made a delivery and pickup at a rural account. After BS-ing with the customer I jumped in my truck and made it about 15 miles heading back to the barn before I realized I had left my DIAD at the last stop. I had an extra 30+ miles that day.

2. Wife was out of town so I ran home after work-cleaned up and went out on the town. Long story short I got carried away, drank too much and spent the night at a friends house. Next morning I had to borrow one of his UPS shirts. The biggest problem was this was the 70's so I had worn my high steppin disco shoes out on the town and had to wear them all day at work. Not the most comfortable work shoe. Notice the 3 inch lift in the first 5 seconds of this video:
Saturday Night Fever - John Travolta - Bee Gees - YouTube Especially working with a monster hangover.

iowa boy

I agree with soberups, who gives a **** about times.

There are more important things in doing this job to worry about than the companies stupid time allowances. We all know they are flawed to begin with, we can't change them, so just accept the fact that we as drivers are gonna get screwed over no matter what we do right or wrong. When you accept this as part of your job, it makes one realize that we should only worry about what we can control.

Last edited:

iruhnman630

My simple solution regarding time allowances on over 70's is.....

...wait, what is a time allowance? Entering +70's in the diad? never heard of such a thing.

Seriously, until the day I get pulled in the office by a manager concerned about my +/- report, I use my daily numbers as little more than entertainment.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What most driver don't realize is that on any normal route your not going to scratch everyday. Everyday is different and even the best time measurements fail at reflecting honest actual times. Fact is the paid day includes your two paid 10 minute breaks as "on road time." So, even a scratch driver should be paid over .33 a day. I just always figured that UPS feels if there paying you, you should be working, breaks be damn.

The irony is UPS management protest being paid over when they know full well that your mostly not supposed to be. The O/R are not just a production measurement but and honesty test as well.

Management makes your being paid over a source of conversation BUT its the paid under drivers that get far more attention behind the scenes. UPS knows there gaming the system.

The planned day is perfect and we know that our days are NEVER perfect. They cannot account for traffic, difficult customers, bad loads and any one of a hundred other things that happen to us during the day. Like, having to wait for a dock to open, or road construction. This list could go on and on. They want perfection everyday and we don't work in a perfect world. It's just not going to happen.

Big Babooba

Ok---here are my "stupid driver" moments:

1. I made a delivery and pickup at a rural account. After BS-ing with the customer I jumped in my truck and made it about 15 miles heading back to the barn before I realized I had left my DIAD at the last stop. I had an extra 30+ miles that day.

2. Wife was out of town so I ran home after work-cleaned up and went out on the town. Long story short I got carried away, drank too much and spent the night at a friends house. Next morning I had to borrow one of his UPS shirts. The biggest problem was this was the 70's so I had worn my high steppin disco shoes out on the town and had to wear them all day at work. Not the most comfortable work shoe. Notice the 3 inch lift in the first 5 seconds of this video:
Saturday Night Fever - John Travolta - Bee Gees - YouTube Especially working with a monster hangover.

Damn Rod, that was you??? All this time I thought it was John Travolta! Sorry. My Bad!!!:dissapointed: