Stupid Managers

Ricochet1a

I've posted entirely too much this weekend, I've been working at a computer the entire time and have written here during my "time outs" to clear my mind...

Regarding Employment at Will...

Most employees don't realize that Employment at Will enables either the employee OR the employer to terminate the employment relationship without notice or cause. Employers don't exercise their right to terminate without cause very often due to a few legal obstacles that are present - there are three.

First, what is known as the Public Policy Exception. This is simply an exception to the doctrine of Employment at Will in that an employer may not terminate employment if there is an explicit legal prohibition. Whistleblowers fall under this category. Express employees may think that the work conditions which Express pushes employees into doing - speeding would be the primary example - would protect them, but the burden of proof would be on the employee to demonstrate that Express required them to engage in speeding to meet work requirements. Being able to prove such a thing is impossible unless you can afford a law firm with forensic investigators (which you would pay for).

Second, is what is known as Implied Contract Exceptions. This is when an employer spells out in corporate literature that termination can occur for only certain actions, and a certain process for termination must be followed - which the employer then fails to follow in the termination of an employee. The terminated employee in this instance again has the burden of proof - hope you have deep pockets to pay an attorney. Express has no such thing as an implied contract, open your employee handbook to the first pages and you can read the legalese which states there is absolutely no implied contract regarding employment with Express - it is strictly at will for both parties, no implied contracts.

Finally there is what is known as a "covenant of good faith" exception. The doctrine of covenant of good faith merely requires some form of "just cause" for an employer to terminate an employee. However, only a few states have this legal doctrine, and just what exactly constitutes "just cause" is open to interpretation.

This means that any employee of Express working without a contract of employment, can have their employment terminated at any time, for any cause, OR FOR NO CAUSE - and there isn't a hell of a lot they can do about. For kids working in a fast food restaurant, no big deal. For someone making a career out of a job - guess what the cause of all the fear is among the employees....

So... guess what you can do to change this situation? Organize, bargain, get a contract which spells out reasons for which the employer may terminate employment - and the process which they must follow to actually terminate someone's employment. Read the UPS/IBT Master Agreement - see all the protections they have compared to Express employees.

The only way Express employees will gain protections like this is to sign those union representation cards, vote to certify a union and have the union negotiators start bargaining.

If you have the ability to get out of Express (like I did), get the heck out - there is no logical reason to stay.

If for whatever reason you are going to stay with Express, then make a decision to sign a card, get a friend to sign a card, then get another friend to sign a card. When enough people sign cards, the IBT will be waiting to call for a certification election. Till then, if you haven't signed a card, all the bitchin' and moanin' in the world isn't going to do you a bit of good and it might just get your employment terminated if you are a bit too loud for Express. Sign a card, smile a lot in front of your station management, and organize off site. If you can't leave and choose not to organize, then your only option is to accept what Fred is dishing out and take it.

Put succinctly, either leave, organize or bend over - make your choice.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And one final thought, if you are an employee who's topped out, there's a bullseye on your back, a managerial bounty on your head ! You my friend, are costing this company a lot of money, with your topped out pay and benefits ! You my friend are stealing from their bottom line, which is their cash ! Unless you do what they want you to do, "By Any Means Necessary", you're on their radar, and they're coming for you ! And if you're not topped out, the chances are that you'll never be ! So keep chasing after that dream, and see where that'll get you !

No secret that Fred's out for the cheapest labor he can get at the same time wanting top results.

But he's certainly developed a champagne taste with his beer budgets. Doesn't work.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I can understand the anger but the company could easily figure out from your post who these couriers are who intentionally maxed out the number of lates. If they're inclined to you could be looking at serious consequences. I'm not being critical, just pointing out you have just told the company you deliberately had more lates than necessary. I hope they aren't reading this!

The people doing these things aren't thinking things through very well. Then again, MFE is the guy who says we should screw the company out of revenue, then he complains that the company is far too tight-fisted when it comes to compensating the employees.

Look at the scenario he presented. They all agreed to purposely maximize their P1 lates. What does that tell you? The manager's decision wasn't as bad as they made it look. There's this goofy belief that killing the company on service will accomplish something. That is true. Sometimes it spurs a manager into printing out 2 week's worth of route traces for a route and comparing the info, running inquiries via MapQuest and Google Maps, and going out in his own car to see how long it takes to get from one stop to another.

If the manager is nice, he'll direct you to deliver the bulk stop at the expense of one or two other stops as he smiles and says something like, "Let's not let that happen again, OK?" If he's not nice, he'll have something for you to sign. A word to the wise... if he asks you to explain those lates in writing, he's giving you some rope HINT HINT.

59 Dano

I use the statement conveniently provided to us in the Employee Handbook regarding social media and other Internet postings. My opinions are my own and in no way reflect the policies and procedures of the Federal Express Corporation. There, I'm covered. I'll post the exact verbage once I locate in in the Handbook. That way, the rest of you can also legallly protect yourselves from Fedex.

Didn't go to law school, did you?

Cactus

The manager's decision wasn't as bad as they made it look.

Oh please.

Think it's easy to absorb four full routes? The manager certainly could care less about customer service. He's asking for lates while hoping this brainstorm will get him closer to the MEM cubicle he so dreams of.

And by the way, people are paying good money for what they believe is still premium service. They're really getting cheated with management like this.

Ghostwriter

God, I have seen some stupid ones, but I had an encounter today with the the dumbest effing manager ever. First, he collapses 4 routes, all of which had a full 195 load plus. Then he sends all the part-timers home, so there are a bunch of us there just ready to kill this MF. No baseline relief...NOTHING. After he tells us, he just walks off, apparently content he has done his duty. Do you think HE would actually plop his ass in a truck and help out. Not a chance.

So, here's what we did. All of us agreed to hold off on our largest bulk stops until after 1030, making for horrific late counts that put service level in the toilet. One route had 72 pcs at exactly 1031. After work, the courier told me he sat around the corner for 5 minutes just to guarantee that all of it would be late.

Listen up, people. This is what we need to start doing when these morons collapse routes to save money. Kill them on service, and just keep doing it. They expect you to work through your lunch for free and bust your butt to make service. Don't do it. If you're smart about it, you can make them look really bad on paper, and once their numbers suck bad enough, they'll be forced to quit doing this.

Stick together, and eff them right back. This company doesn't care if you burn yourself out or hit a tree doing 50 in a 25mph zone. They'll just fire you anyway. Don't play their game. Turn it back on them and let them suffer the hit when you stick them with a bunch of lates. Fight fire with fire.

I am so glad I no longer work in the "meat-grinder"! I understand your stance and your position is justified. However, this "battle" between couriers and management is and will always be the reason this company will always lack the catalyst for greatness. If there is no understanding, trust, and (lol) teamwork there will never be true productivity. I believe the focus and direction has b-lined off the chart of reason. I wish you and your coworkers the best. Always remember it is a game that is not worth compromising your safety. Be in touch.

Cactus

I am so glad I no longer work in the "meat-grinder"! I understand your stance and your position is justified. However, this "battle" between couriers and management is and will always be the reason this company will always lack the catalyst for greatness. If there is no understanding, trust, and (lol) teamwork there will never be true productivity. I believe the focus and direction has b-lined off the chart of reason. I wish you and your coworkers the best. Always remember it is a game that is not worth compromising your safety. Be in touch.

Very well said.

Ghostwriter, I for one am happy that you escaped this "Alcatraz" of a workplace. Everyone I've talked to that has left FedEx has a smile on their face with no regrets.

This mistrust that exists that comes from upper management is a true example of them not knowing the first thing about working with people.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A guy sat on his rear for a few minutes in order to cause his largest P1 bulk stop to be late. Must not be as bad as they tried to make it look.
Hey genius. He wasn't done with his P1 by any means. I guess every time they screw you that you drop to your knees and beg for more?

59 Dano

Hey genius. He wasn't done with his P1 by any means. I guess every time they screw you that you drop to your knees and beg for more?

Hey genius, I never said that he was. I said that he deliberately sat on his butt to increase the number of lates. I think you're the one who begs for more because you're still with the company and you won't shut up with the whining about the same old stuff. You've been crying here for 4 years and you haven't done anything about it. Yeah, that's admirable.

All talk, no walk.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Really? What are your career options at this point?

I didn't say. What are yours? I simply pointed out that I'm probably more educated than you are. The fact that I'm a courier doesn't make me dumb. I've always made more money in real estate and investing than working for FedEx. I'm here mostly for the insurance, which is lousy, but better than paying for it myself. FedEx has few redeeming virtues these days. You aren't one of them.

whenIgetthere

God, I have seen some stupid ones, but I had an encounter today with the the dumbest effing manager ever. First, he collapses 4 routes, all of which had a full 195 load plus. Then he sends all the part-timers home, so there are a bunch of us there just ready to kill this MF. No baseline relief...NOTHING. After he tells us, he just walks off, apparently content he has done his duty. Do you think HE would actually plop his ass in a truck and help out. Not a chance.

So, here's what we did. All of us agreed to hold off on our largest bulk stops until after 1030, making for horrific late counts that put service level in the toilet. One route had 72 pcs at exactly 1031. After work, the courier told me he sat around the corner for 5 minutes just to guarantee that all of it would be late.

Listen up, people. This is what we need to start doing when these morons collapse routes to save money. Kill them on service, and just keep doing it. They expect you to work through your lunch for free and bust your butt to make service. Don't do it. If you're smart about it, you can make them look really bad on paper, and once their numbers suck bad enough, they'll be forced to quit doing this.

Stick together, and eff them right back. This company doesn't care if you burn yourself out or hit a tree doing 50 in a 25mph zone. They'll just fire you anyway. Don't play their game. Turn it back on them and let them suffer the hit when you stick them with a bunch of lates. Fight fire with fire.

I had a manager back in 2004 who was a good guy. One day he went on a chack ride with me (I was a swing driver at the time), and at the last minute, the manager on the belt I was assigned decided to cut a route, and dumped a bunch of P1's on me. I was alreay over, so my manager said take them. So off we went, and at 1000 my manager told me to slow down and make sure we had lates. I would have had at least 4 or 5 late stops anyways, but my manager wanted more. So I slowed down and he told me and I quote "Hope this teaches that son of a b--ch a lesson". I think I had about 10 late stops and maybe 40-50 lates that day. This other manager was hated by the managers on the other two belts (my manager being one of them). Too bad my manager moved to another station, and we got another a--hole to replace him, and this one had never been on road!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I had a manager back in 2004 who was a good guy. One day he went on a chack ride with me (I was a swing driver at the time), and at the last minute, the manager on the belt I was assigned decided to cut a route, and dumped a bunch of P1's on me. I was alreay over, so my manager said take them. So off we went, and at 1000 my manager told me to slow down and make sure we had lates. I would have had at least 4 or 5 late stops anyways, but my manager wanted more. So I slowed down and he told me and I quote "Hope this teaches that son of a b--ch a lesson". I think I had about 10 late stops and maybe 40-50 lates that day. This other manager was hated by the managers on the other two belts (my manager being one of them). Too bad my manager moved to another station, and we got another a--hole to replace him, and this one had never been on road!!!

The day we pulled our little stunt was designed with a particular manager in mind. There was no reason to cut those routes because he had the people available to do the work. It was just a way to save hours, make his mark, and to show us how "tough" he was. Every time he cuts routes, we screw him right back. That goes for almost everything this clown does. We want him gone. So do the customers, who are none too happy when they get their P1 at noon in a 1030 commit area.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
We just got a new rule dropped on us.
Supposedly, P1 lates have to be del'd within one hr. of being late.

Ricochet1a

We just got a new rule dropped on us.
Supposedly, P1 lates have to be del'd within one hr. of being late.

So how is that supposed to work? They haven't changed the software.... yet. So how are you to KNOW that you have P1 on your truck that you didn't deliver (supposedly buried in your P2 stop order)?

Are they going to have dispatch or your manager run a report (like usually occurs for Saturday operations), at 10:45 each weekday to identify any P1 pieces that were SIP-ed but don't have a POD on them?

Are they going to run a report of your P1 van scans that don't have a POD, then send you a message that you have so and so P1 still in your truck, going to so and so address - get it POD PDQ or you're SOL...

Those that have run Express know the system isn't set up to handle that, especially on a station wide basis.

About the only thing they can do is get an EXACT count of P1 going onto each truck, have each Courier sign off on that number, then send a message to dispatch as soon as they complete their P1 cycle that they got off so many P1 pieces (and having to keep a count as they do so in the cab supposedly).

Since there isn't any method for the powerpad software to cue the Courier that they scanned a P1 piece in the station - and still have P1 on board the truck at 10:30 (no POD scan in the powerpad), just how are they supposed to implement this?

With fully enabled ROADS software - this requirement would be simple to meet. The software could be programmed to give an alert that pieces are about to burn, given the AB # and destination address for the pieces, then the Courier could do a search of their truck (going through their P2), locate the volume and deliver it. God forbid that a Courier missorts a P1 piece that would require them to backtrack to the beginning of their route - forget about productivity for the day in that case.

This is actually something that SHOULD be happening - focus on service. But there isn't the technology available with the current software to enable this to happen without some massive scrambling at either dispatch or station (most likely would have to be done by station managers).

I can imagine it now, everyone pull off to the side as soon as they have done their last P1 stop and retransmit all their scans so that they are in the system. At 10:45, the station managers are frantically running reports and identifying routes that have missing POD for P1. Messages fly out, Couriers spend more time searching through their truck for missorted P1. Yes, service will improve (no P1 POD at 4:00 PM), but the quest for productivity above all will be ended.

Since the individual perfromance review is history, this means that the only way to "motivate" Couriers to not missort their truck (when they are being pushed out of the building with less and less time to do a proper fine sort), is to start handing out OLCC and Warning letters for 2nd occurrances of missorted P1.

If this is to become DGO wide policy, the only solution is new software.... Which is more practible in the long run, new software or the games that would have to be done with the current software? My vote is on new software coming down the pike eventually.