Stupid Managers

vantexan

Yes. Typical FedEx "logic". Up is down and right is left. Except on Mondays.

Recently had a wrong address that dispatch sent me a corrected address after I was out of area. Reattempted it after 1700 on my way in. Mgr walked up with a list the next day and wanted to know why I reattempted it after commit time of 1200? Most of my area is 1630 commit, very spread out, would've been 40 mile roundtrip backtrack and I think dispatch didn't get correct add to me until after 1200 anyways. He said company is still counting any reattempt after commit time against station! He was nice about it, but apparently it's causing him problems. I can understand being furious with some mgrs, but alot of it is mgrs being put into impossible situations by bureaucrats who don't know what they're talking about. Can't stand certain kinds of mgrs, but I feel sorry for the good ones. To keep that good pay and take care of their families they have to endure a system that is likely to make them a bit jaded.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Supposedly,
There is some new report that shows any P1 pkg. that was del'd more than an hr. later than commit time.
An ops manager said that she had to trace a pkg. the other day and follow up with a CRR in a situation like this.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Supposedly,
There is some new report that shows any P1 pkg. that was del'd more than an hr. later than commit time.
An ops manager said that she had to trace a pkg. the other day and follow up with a CRR in a situation like this.

More bright ideas from the mentally challenged in Memphis. Perhaps they should ask us for suggestions on how we might actually make them pertinent and useful. As it is, they are paid big bucks for nothing in return but stupid ideas like the one being discussed. My first suggestion would be to measure their keyboard speed to optimize efficiency. My second would be to remove the La-Z-Boy office chairs,donuts, and coffee pots, and my third would be to require that each and every one of them run an actual courier route for a month and be held to the same ridiculous standards that we are.

If Moamar Smith wants to save big bucks, can a few of these worthless fat ass engineers.

Ricochet1a

Supposedly,

That's all well and fine for finding out AFTER the fact, but how is this supposed to PREVENT P1 from being delivered more than an hour past committment time?

Are managers going to run this report right after 10:30 for all Couriers they manage - then proactively notify them that they have P1 with van scans and no POD?

It simply won't work. Run the reports for the routes, then get on the computer and send a message to each route that supposedly has a P1 with no POD....

In some cases, it takes up to 15 minutes between the time a scan is done in field and the time that scan shows up in the database. So Couriers would have to make sure all their scans transmitted after they delivered their last P1, then the managers would have to wait 15 minutes for all those scans to be logged in the system, then run the report, then notify the Courier that they have a P1 on board, then have the Courier pull to the side and search their P2.

In tight areas (routes), they might be able to pull off P1 delivery no later than 1 hour post committment time, but else where - Couriers would be making a straight run to the location to get it off, then needing to head back to the point they were when they were initially notified that they had missorted P1 (since most routes have P2 placed in stop order that is the inverse of P1 stop order). Looking at 30 to possibly 45 minutes taken to get off one piece and back on track with P2 stops. That's a hell of a hit to productivity, at least a 8, probably 10% drop in SPH for a route that has 6 hours of actual on road time.

Is Express willing to eat that hit? Is Express willing to eat that loss in productivity WITHOUT pulling out OLCC and Warning letters for the Courier which happens to have a P1 piece missorted in their truck?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We load our own trucks.

So do we. ROADS only works well enough to get it in the right truck (sort of). We have a lot of routes where there is a lot of overlap of numbers, so it's obvious that they don't have it perfected. Our engineer in charge of updating ROADS is helpless (and hopeless), which isn't surprising.

newgirl

I have seen some crrs that once 1030 hits they stop p1 and start p2/sos. They save the p1 for later so they don't get behind on p2. perhaps this is where the rule originated, not for the occasional misloaded p1?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
More bright ideas from the mentally challenged in Memphis. Perhaps they should ask us for suggestions on how we might actually make them pertinent and useful. As it is, they are paid big bucks for nothing in return but stupid ideas like the one being discussed. My first suggestion would be to measure their keyboard speed to optimize efficiency. My second would be to remove the La-Z-Boy office chairs,donuts, and coffee pots, and my third would be to require that each and every one of them run an actual courier route for a month and be held to the same ridiculous standards that we are.

If Moamar Smith wants to save big bucks, can a few of these worthless fat ass engineers.

Yep.

These engineers haven't a clue how their numbers work in the real world. It should be required for each and everyone of them to spend a month out on the road ( after 1 days worth of route training) on a full time route. This after 1 or two weeks of courier school and a defensive driving course. Then we'll see if these asinine ideas of theirs don't slow down to a trickle. Maybe then they can see what FedEx is really like instead of hiding behind a computer in a comfy office.

snackdad

Supposedly,

I find it interesting that managers will run the reports that show the things that will negatively affect them yet they will never run the reports that show who is manually entering airbill numbers usually in a flurry right after a paid or unpaid break. The managers do not care that so many people are doing unsafe things or working through lunch breaks as long as their numbers are looking good. It's all about them and they want to keep the senior off their back and look good on reports. Forget about the misery and brow beating they heap down on the couriers to meet their own goals. It is all a numbers game and it all means nothing in reality. The reality will be when someone gets caught falsifying, has an accident or an injury. Guess who pays the price, the courier. It's always the couriers fault.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I find it interesting that managers will run the reports that show the things that will negatively affect them yet they will never run the reports that show who is manually entering airbill numbers usually in a flurry right after a paid or unpaid break. The managers do not care that so many people are doing unsafe things or working through lunch breaks as long as their numbers are looking good. It's all about them and they want to keep the senior off their back and look good on reports. Forget about the misery and brow beating they heap down on the couriers to meet their own goals. It is all a numbers game and it all means nothing in reality. The reality will be when someone gets caught falsifying, has an accident or an injury. Guess who pays the price, the courier. It's always the couriers fault.

Exactly. It's all about the numbers and figuring out who to blame so none of it spills onto your shoes. As they say, #2 rolls downhill, and we're drenched in it.

FedEx2000

Actually this is a hot topic right now and is being tracked at the regional level, discussed on service calls each day for anyone who has manually entered POD's and why, any documentation of a Ppad failure etc.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually this is a hot topic right now and is being tracked at the regional level, discussed on service calls each day for anyone who has manually entered POD's and why, any documentation of a Ppad failure etc.

If they decide to actually investigate this and actually follow-through and can these people, there will be a whole lot of "leadership" positions available. Just think, you can move up one notch in the food chain.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

If managers spent time on those reports, do you know what we'd have? People posting here complaining about management looking over their shoulders (more than usual) and breathing down their necks (more than usual). Some managers run those reports; others don't.

If courier falsification if of concern to you, do something about it. Run a route trace. Better yet, run a gap report on a courier who is falsifying. It will even tell you what the mileage and estimated driving time is if you want it. Print those reports and highlight the more obvious incidents (6 dels in 7 minutes over 4 miles) and send copies to your manager, your senior, and your MD. One of them will take notice and do something.

vantexan

If managers spent time on those reports, do you know what we'd have? People posting here complaining about management looking over their shoulders (more than usual) and breathing down their necks (more than usual). Some managers run those reports; others don't.

If courier falsification if of concern to you, do something about it. Run a route trace. Better yet, run a gap report on a courier who is falsifying. It will even tell you what the mileage and estimated driving time is if you want it. Print those reports and highlight the more obvious incidents (6 dels in 7 minutes over 4 miles) and send copies to your manager, your senior, and your MD. One of them will take notice and do something.

Yeah, do that, and have a couple dozen couriers catch you off the premises and beat the hell out of you. Are you serious?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah, do that, and have a couple dozen couriers catch you off the premises and beat the hell out of you. Are you serious?

He is. We'll just beat the hell out of him here. The reason couriers have to falsify in the first place is pressure from management to "be more productive". FedEx management is fully aware of what they're doing, and when they get caught, they'll pretend to know nothing. They should be pretty convincing.

bbsam

Staff member
He is. We'll just beat the hell out of him here. The reason couriers have to falsify in the first place is pressure from management to "be more productive". FedEx management is fully aware of what they're doing, and when they get caught, they'll pretend to know nothing. They should be pretty convincing.
"Plausible deniability." Another fine offering from the Reagan years.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I can do a V41 and a V31, that's about it, not that I care much about any of the others. Oh, and I can enter my mileage when I have to drive my personal vehicle to the customer location.