Stupid Managers

newgirl

That's what we can do, too. But someone else logs into the computer. There is a number and password that is used specifically for those 2 computers. All other computers are locked and only authorized users can log into them.

Plus, I would never drop a dime on a fellow employee.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yeah, do that, and have a couple dozen couriers catch you off the premises and beat the hell out of you. Are you serious?

I didn't say to put your name to it, I said to print the reports, highlight the relevant info, and pass it up the chain of command.

59 Dano

In our station, couriers don't have computer access to run any of those reports, not even on ourselves.

If you guys don't have computer access, you need to see what needs to be done to get it if for no other reason than to CYA if need be.
Find someone there to run them for you or have a friend at another Express facility do it.

vantexan

If you guys don't have computer access, you need to see what needs to be done to get it if for no other reason than to CYA if need be.
Find someone there to run them for you or have a friend at another Express facility do it.

Most couriers don't transfer around so who are these people we're supposed to contact and ask to stick their neck out?

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Where I'm from, tattling usually results in a good old fashioned, passionate ass whooping. But that's how we handle things down here, We're taught that from childhood on...you tell on someone, unless it's going to keep them from getting physically harmed, you better keep a lookout over your shoulder.

59 Dano

Most couriers don't transfer around so who are these people we're supposed to contact and ask to stick their neck out?

It was a suggestion. No one needs to stick his neck out. If you can log on to the intranet homepage, you have access to route traces for just about every route in every ramp/station for the previous two weeks.

vantexan said:
Yes, let's descend into spying on and telling on our coworkers, anonymously of course.

Then those of you who take issue with the alleged rampant falsification by couriers need to make up your minds. On the one hand, you're complaining about it. On the other hand, you don't want to take the steps to put a stop to it. It sounds like some of you want to sink some managers for the falsification committed by couriers. Good luck with that!

I don't have a dog in the fight (that I know of) and couldn't really care less which option you choose, but please don't act as if you're in no position to put a stop to it.

newgirl

It's not my job to put a stop to it. I have had several fellow employees tell me that they drive on lunch, pickup stops and hold them until after lunch. My response is to tell them they shouldn't do that, and that it will only hurt them in the long run. I don't bring it to management's attention, what good would that do? I don't want people fired, I want them to do the job how Fedex says to do it. If you have to pickup stops on lunch to hit your numbers there is something fatally wrong with the system.

If it is truly a hot-topic on the conference calls then maybe it is rampant throughout Express, and will be dealt with soon. Until then I guess my manager will have to keep check riding me.

Rhoderunner

It's not my job to put a stop to it. I have had several fellow employees tell me that they drive on lunch, pickup stops and hold them until after lunch. My response is to tell them they shouldn't do that, and that it will only hurt them in the long run. I don't bring it to management's attention, what good would that do? I don't want people fired, I want them to do the job how Fedex says to do it. If you have to pickup stops on lunch to hit your numbers there is something fatally wrong with the system.

If it is truly a hot-topic on the conference calls then maybe it is rampant throughout Express, and will be dealt with soon. Until then I guess my manager will have to keep check riding me.

Very well said. Let your fellow employees know they can be terminated for what they are doing and encourage them to do it by the book. When numbers aren't met, sign nothing and demand checkrides. "SHOW ME how to do it." They usually back down.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
When numbers aren't met, sign nothing and demand checkrides. "SHOW ME how to do it." They usually back down.

That's right back them into a corner. Because 99% of the time they couldn't come close to making the precious numbers they always crave. They'd fall flat on their faces trying.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's right back them into a corner. Because 99% of the time they couldn't come close to making the precious numbers they always crave. They'd fall flat on their faces trying.

Those who can't, manage. Take a look at your station managers. Usually, they were the very worst couriers, You know, the ones that always whined and dumped stops, or skipped all of their next day E2 because they knew the swing would be doing the route? They were also the ones who would rat anyone out to management and talk crap behind your back....the manager's "pet" employee. They wanted to get off the road more than anything, because they already had a couple of accidents on-file and their customers hated them because they couldn't do the job right, much less establish a professional working relationship.

My personal favorite was someone we called "Fat Bastard", a loathsome creature if there ever was one. If there was a Cheeto on the floor, he could move like lightning, but the rest of the time he harassed couriers to be more productive and belittled anyone he could, mainly to soothe his own struggling ego and to compensate for his bloated appearance. The few times I ever saw his fat ass on the road, he cherry-picked stops that were easy and dumped the bulks and tough residentials.

There are always exceptions, but none of my current managers can do a full route by themselves, and they were all lousy couriers.

snackdad

Those who can't, manage. Take a look at your station managers. Usually, they were the very worst couriers, You know, the ones that always whined and dumped stops, or skipped all of their next day E2 because they knew the swing would be doing the route? They were also the ones who would rat anyone out to management and talk crap behind your back....the manager's "pet" employee. They wanted to get off the road more than anything, because they already had a couple of accidents on-file and their customers hated them because they couldn't do the job right, much less establish a professional working relationship.

My personal favorite was someone we called "Fat Bastard", a loathsome creature if there ever was one. If there was a Cheeto on the floor, he could move like lightning, but the rest of the time he harassed couriers to be more productive and belittled anyone he could, mainly to soothe his own struggling ego and to compensate for his bloated appearance. The few times I ever saw his fat ass on the road, he cherry-picked stops that were easy and dumped the bulks and tough residentials.

There are always exceptions, but none of my current managers can do a full route by themselves, and they were all lousy couriers.

I tried to hit the LIKE button 10 times on this one but it did not work. Great post. I can see the well stocked mini fridge full of Costco soda now. The kind of manager that would take home all the leftover food from the company Christmas breakfast or miserable "Team" barbecue. Only the worst, most dysfunctional couriers get promoted into management. Easily manipulated into doing the deeds anyone with self pride or intelligence could never consider. The exceptions to this either transfer around too much looking for an ideal station that does not exist or simply step down only to face the wrath of seniors and above.

59 Dano

I swear, I *must* have worked with you at some point. A brief summary of an exchange that I witnessed after an employee was griping...

Courier: You couldn't make the numbers you expect me to make.
Manager: I've never tried it.
CRR: All you do is talk about it.
MGR: I've spent more time onroad than you've spent as manager but that hasn't stopped you from telling me how I should do my job, has it?
CRR: I'd like to see you make those numbers.
MGR: Not half as much as I'd like to see you make them.